College makes me FAT (plus wedding grumbles)

Options
No, I make me fat, I know.

But let's be real, college is probably the worst environment for keeping a lean figure. I am in a program that has classes one semester, a co-op job the next, then back to classes, etc for 5 years. No summer break. It is fantastic as far as giving me job experience, money, and practical application of knowledge gained in school, but holy Hell. The culture shock is rocking me, even as I approach my last semester before graduation.

During co-op, I am a gym machine. I have a consistent schedule, I know I can wake up at the same time everyday because I know when I am leaving work that night. 9-5 consistency does wonder for me, I work out 5x per week and keep a great diet. I even had a sixpack for one gloooorious month (HARD for me!) last summer because I was on co-op during the warm season. I love it. I feel clean and happy when I know my routine.

However, it all goes down the tube once classes begin again. The unexpected late nights, the drinking (coping mechanism, I'm working on it), the workaholic culture of my field, it drowns me. Working at companies in my field has been infinitely easier than doing schoolwork, lemme tell you. It's insane. I am not a bad student either, I average like a 3.3gpa, but I feel like an absolute bum next to all of the coked-up strung-out ubersuccessful 4.0gpa messes in this program. There is SO much pressure to work until you can't, and it wrenches my focus on myself off the rails. I am considered extremely laid back for my field, and even I get swept up in the rush. I eat delicious garbage and hit the bars because I have a very limited amount of time to decompress on a sporadic/unpredictable schedule. I make it to the gym every once in a while, but nowhere near enough to matter in the longrun. I mostly just try not to eat over a reasonable budget, but always end up yo-yoing 3-5lbs that I shed instantly upon switching back to co-op.

Right now, I am on co-op. I just had my first 5am swim workout, and it felt divine. Like I wanna die at my desk right now because my body is on fire, but I still feel happy and proud of myself. I genuinely like this for some reason.

Come January, I will be facing my last semester of class, then graduation. I only have to do this ONE MORE TIME, but this time is a little different- just two months after graduation, I have my wedding. So...this time, during the hardest part of my hardest year, I have gotta keep some kind of routine or risk looking differently than I wish during such a happy occasion. I am not looking forward to it.

ANYHOW. That was my rant. I guess I am just throwing a tantrum? I know what needs to be done, and doing something difficult for just 4 months is not impossible, so I will just have t suck it up and scream continuously from January through May.

Whine at me. Tell me how awful college is for your body. Join me, venting is helpful.

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    well you look small enough in your profile that you will rock your wedding photos. I would try to maintain not lose next semester.
    Focus on fitness for a nice buffed look. Trade out the bar for the gym. It will help you deal with stress.
    Get Fiannce to work out with you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have done well so far. Focus on your achievements.
    Perhaps find ways to decompress that do not involve drinking very often. Think of drinking as a treat.
    In the January term, focus on maintenance. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You probably walk a lot between classes, you likely have free gym access and a somewhat flexible schedule. It's the easiest time of your life to lose weight.

If you were my student, I would tell you to sit down and make a weekly schedule where you plan out classes, study time, working out, meal prep, sleep and any other responsibilities. If you can't fit everything in, then you need to consider reducing your classload. There are 168 hours in the week--you can only do 168 hours worth of things.

Neither late nights nor alcohol are a required part of the experience.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    With the unlimited meal plan, parties and being a broke college student (fast food and ramen noodles), I gained 40lbs. I didn't even realize it until I saw some unflattering photos of me! It's hard when you are literally surrounded by unhealthy things everywhere! Best of luck to you and I hope you meet your goals! :)
  • brialger
    brialger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hope I dont sound rude but If you have time to "hit the bars" you probably have time to "hit the gym" as well. I wouldn't blame college. A little time management goes a long way. I've heard of multiple people loosing weight in college. It's all about making healthy eating choices (which most colleges do accomodate nowadays) Thus, just like the rest of life. Wish you the best (:
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just like you schedule time of study you have to schedule time to workout. College is stressful, I'm taking 15 credit hours and I have 2 kids. I find that scheduling time to workout allows me to reduce stress and have time for myself.