Would you uproot your life for a job opportunity?

Options
Yes or No and why?

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Yes. I actually did it. After being in NJ for 40 years. I got a better opportunity (financially) and due to the area I lived in and the lack of prospects in my field of work it made all the sense in the world.

10 years later still where I relocated too. Making bank. Cheap cost of living..win/win . Do I miss being close to family...sure . Thankfully modern technology keeps people feeling closer these days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the opportunity relative to my current situation.

Right now, it would have to be one hell of an opportunity.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    It depends on age and what kind of roots one has in their community. I did this years ago, moving hundreds, than thousands of miles away. It was: Ohio to Atlanta then to Los Angeles. Back then it was just me and it was a very easy decision to do so.

Now, there's no way that I could pick up and move. There are too many people here who depend on me.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where I would be moving them and what the benefits were with the job change. Generally I would say yes if it was somewhere that could expose my family to new things and the job was better.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Some days I would uproot my life just for a pan of warm brownies if it meant the calories wouldn't count.

Pfft... calories be dammed

I would just knock out a few more miles to cover the damage.

Brownies really are undefeated.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    A lot of factors are relevant here. In 2009, I was laid off (so were a lot of people at that time) and the job market was tough. Immediately, I decided to look nation-wide and even in other countries for work. I interviewed in person in several other states and had phone interviews in even more states. I applied to jobs in nearly every state and 3 foreign countries. After 9 months of looking everywhere, I found a job nearby that didn't require me to move. It was a bit below my level, but I really had to take it at that point. I was soon promoted and then was preparing for another promotion to a new location. That location did not end up getting built, so I switched companies and re-located for a better opportunity.

I've done it before and I'll do it again... as long as the opportunity in whole is worthwhile. That means taking into account salary, benefits, working hours (quality of life), and location (cost of living in particular), and relocation costs (even if paid by the new employer, under what terms).
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Been there done that, wont do it again, personal issues
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    As long as it's still somewhere in CO. I'd be all over it.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have done it multiple times and only regretted it once.

Living in a variety of places has allowed me to experience new things and really get to know new environments. Things you can't pick up by visiting or vacationing somewhere.

I would do it again tomorrow if an opportunity presented itself.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I ask myself this all the time. Most of the time the answer is yes, but it's not feasible.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Had I not had a child, I would have in a heartbeat. But now I can't because I'm a single mother and I can't just up and leave and make my daughter leave her grandparents.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think I would providing the opportunity was good enough!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would. The small company I work for has, in the three years I've been here, been forced by a major customer to get rid of people. When I get fired there is one only possible employer for my skill set in this market and a pimp, or rather contractor, which would place me in there if an opening and a match existed. Otherwise I'd look 200 miles down the road to a more vibrant tech economy.

The laws of this country are such that businesses prefer H1B tech engineers over citizen tech engineers, and contractor tech support rather than employee tech support. I hate it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    A job opportunity uprooted my life. If that counts.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How about uprooting your life and moving somewhere without a job. Marrying a girl from PA when you are from IL will do that to you. Thankfully God is faithful and I had a job 3 weeks later but definitely a leap of faith.
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have kids I would leave jersey in a heartbeat! Starting over where no one knows you has it benifits!