Weight Loss without exercise?

Options
Has anyone had success with weight loss without working out. I'm a full time student and work a full time job plus I do student teaching for school, so during the week I literally don't have any time.
I could probably fit in two days on the weekend, but I'm curious if anyone has had success losing weight without exercising?

Replies

• MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds before I started exercising. I firmly believe that weight loss is about calories in / calories out and it's very difficult to exercise on a calorie deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I was working full time and going to school in the evening I lost 40 lbs - not exercising and eating fast food (mostly Subway and Wendys) almost every night.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit. The easiest way to establish a calorie deficit is through diet. Exercise, while I can be used to establish a deficit, is often not that effective for various reasons. Generally it is better to look at exercise as primarily for health, not weight loss. Instead, use diet to bring weight loss.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Lots of success stories in losing weight without exercise. I definitely did it at one point. That said, if you can get those two days of workout in... do it. It'll help with stress, confidence and all kinds of ancillary stuff not connected with "getting skinny".
  • CirocBda
    CirocBda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keto does it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can, but no exercise makes things more difficult due to more paltry calorie targets.

I'd recommend getting in what you can...as Dano74 pointed out, there are numerous benefits to regular exercise beyond "gettin' skinny."
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been losing steadily without much exercise. I walk 5km a day or more though but that doesn't really count lol but if you could walk from point a to point b ..it helps!
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Last year, I lost 56lbs in four months with absolutely no cardio or weight training at all.

This summer, the scale barely budges on diet alone.

I think you don't need exercise (technically), but but some exercise along with cardio is good preventing plateaus.
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm still recovering from spine surgery so am unable to exercise. I am able to get in a tiny bit of walking, but am positive it is far less than what you do. I've lost 18 lbs since July 26. It's not only tracking calories & macros, it's also making sure you eat better food like lots of veggies. (However, the more exercise you can fit in, the better off you'll be.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes I have in the past. And from time to time an injury comes up when you have to take off from exercise, or even take an exercise break, the calorie deficit will take care of weight loss..

Plus think about all those out people out there with medical issues or disabilities, they all still and can lose weight.

Now if you are able-bodied , I highly recommend that you put forth an effort to exercise. This is a great enhancement to weight loss and maintaining your weight as well as all the other great things it helps such as health and longevity.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Yep I am losing with no exercise currently.

Mind you, I started exercising from last night.
    143353326 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without it but it stays for sometime and then again you will start gaining weight. Same happened to me. Now I prefer to loose weights with exercises.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I figure if I'm not willing to commit to a consistent exercise schedule, then doing it to lose weight will mess me up when I get to maintaining. I don't see myself committing forever to a consistent exercise schedule (I'm 47 and it's never happened before.....), so I'm trying to do it without exercise and just changing what and how much I eat. If I go for a walk, I'm not going to log it.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should say that I'm starting to miss wine (It's been 4 days!), so I might start making a deal with myself that if I walk outside or on the treadmill, I can have a glass that night. :-)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    I lost 100 pounds before I started exercising. I firmly believe that weight loss is about calories in / calories out and it's very difficult to exercise on a calorie deficit.

Same for me. I began walking more after -100 pounds. Lost total of over 160# in 20 months and have kept it off for almost 3 years.
    Not surprisingly, at my heaviest weight, my knees were bothering me a lot. After losing 100# my knees were much improved. Now I go to the gym everyday and walk at least a couple of miles.
    I work 10-11 hour days M-F, have a 45 minute commute to work one way, and will be 65 tomorrow. Some how, if you want it bad enough you find a way to work things in to your schedule. It isn't easy, but exercise is a very important part of overall health, so whatever you can do will help.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have lost 110 lbs since October 2015 without setting a foot in a gym or doing a jump up and down program on a video - the loss is entirely due to adjusting my eating, smaller portions and strict and accurate logging and weighing. It has not been difficult, as I had a lot to lose, so was eating to lose 2lbs per week.. But now that I am within 40 lbs of goal weight, I am easing off a bit to now aim for a 1lb per week loss, as I approach maintenance. You just have to find the right calorie level.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Lots of success stories in losing weight without exercise. I definitely did it at one point. That said, if you can get those two days of workout in... do it. It'll help with stress, confidence and all kinds of ancillary stuff not connected with "getting skinny".

Preach.

I used to be an emotional eater, but now I manage my stress with exercise. I also feel better and sleep better when I exercise regularly.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise, but exercise has general health and well being benefits beyond helping weight loss efforts. Additionally, exercising improves insulin sensitivity and has a positive influence on body composition.

Even if you can only get in a little walk during the week or some sets of body weight exercises and exercise more on the weekend, OP, find time to do it.
  • brooklyn7214
    brooklyn7214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can't figure out how to respond to everyone individually unfortunately, but thanks for all your insight and inspiring experience!