School potluck with HIGH CALORIE menu, what would you do?

Options
Tonight is my sons JROTC meeting and the menus is
1. Indian taco (native American -Navajo) =900 calories
2. Cheese burgers =306 calories
3. Hot dogs 470 calories

Iv been doing very good sticking to a low calorie diet. So would you choose an item from above or kindly tell the students and their families "no thank you".
Here telling a Native American no to their food is basically telling them "you and your food are not good enough for me.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger! I don't know why you think 306 calories is high calorie
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would eat before and just sample whatever looks good to you. That way you don't have to many calories and won't offend anyone!
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger! I don't know why you think 306 calories is high calorie

Hahh, your right..
    Safest choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd just do whatever I felt like doing because one day isn't going to make or break you.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Either the cheeseburger, or eat ahead of time and just nibble.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    306 calories for a cheeseburger seems low. A patty alone is probably in the 250 range, plus 100 for the bun and 80 for the cheese, plus condiments?

Either way, I would eat the cheeseburger... yum.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    306 calories for a cheeseburger seems low. A patty alone is probably in the 250 range, plus 100 for the bun and 80 for the cheese, plus condiments?

Ohh no, wishful thinking I guess. I Google's cheese burger, and that's what I found .thanks for keeping it real..
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever is right for the occasion. One meal won't break you. Then go right back to your plan. Measure the week by a 7 day average and if you need to burn off some extra calories to make the average then do so.
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it's a potluck, usually anyone can bring a dish. Why not bring a healthy item to share?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'd totally go Indian Taco. I have no problem splurging on something special. If you're really worried, just eat half and load on plenty of lettuce and tomato.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'd be all in for the Indian Taco. I had never heard of them till I moved to Oklahoma a few years ago but now whenever it's an option, I get it. If you're really trying to be good then eat first or do just a plain cheeseburger and water.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would either do 1/2 the taco, save the calories and eat the whole thing, or the hamburger without the bun.
    Pot luck, guessing you can bring dishes too? Go for veggies!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat half of an Indian taco. In my experience they are plate sized and I just split it with a family member.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    monaleerez wrote: »

Ohh no, wishful thinking I guess. I Google's cheese burger, and that's what I found .thanks for keeping it real..

Or you could look it up on a calorie counting website with a database of thousands of foods... If only there was one like that...
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When attending social events where food is being served, unless it's a menu that I'm entirely familiar with and can log accurately, I'll have a big protein shake before hand. I will enjoy a taste of this or that and add it in as a quick add up to 500ish.
    Yes, it's one day, one event, but there's always going to be one day one event, at some point one continues to over indulge every time or learns balance and control.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Personally, if the event is something that doesn't happen often, I usually shift my calories around making sure I have enough for that day then eat whatever I want. I have a day out planned for the 8th of next month, and here is how my intake plan for the next two weeks looks:

huhwcqme7p9t.png

I allocated 3500 calories for that day just in case although I'm certain I will end up eating less, but because I'm planning not to count (it would be impossible to count accurately anyway) better safe. I plan to eat anything I want and enjoy my day.

If the event is something that happens more often or is not as special/food is not as exciting, I exercise more that day and have light meals saving the bulk of my calories for that meal. I usually end up within calories, but I don't sweat it if I'm not.
    1.PNG 27.4K
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Indian taco before either so would have a try of that
    When I was really trying hard to lose I would always eat well at functions and then resume back to logging the next day
    Also since you know the choices just make it fit
    Whatever happens don't worry too much about it
  • monaleerez
    Options
    If it's a potluck, usually anyone can bring a dish. Why not bring a healthy item to share?

I did, and was glad I was able to keep the calories under control.