Ready to Recomp . . .

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Great thread, thanks @sgt1372 ! And congratulations on an amazing journey! I know everyone responds differently but it's great to see actual numbers on a real case.
    And, as an absolute data nerd, this makes me very happy!
    Good job

Thanks to you both!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you have before and afters...??!!
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Please tell me you have before and afters...??!!

Pics? Yes but I don't like posting pics (even headless ones) on the Net. So, you'll just have to take my word for the results.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I already take your word for it. No need to get defensive. Pics would be a good addition to your story is all.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I hear you on "TDEE". Despite adjusting fitbit and MFP settings (eg I am shorter and older on the apps than IRL) to mitigate overestimation and inaccuracies, my "on paper" (on screen?) TDEE makes me gain.

On a related note... and at the risk of getting flamed: is EM2WL actually science-based / legit? I keep reading threads in the Group forum and so many people end up gaining and gaining and never coming back down in the cut on these supposedly much higher numbers. Not intending to cast shade - I just can't wrap my brain around it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I hear you on "TDEE". Despite adjusting fitbit and MFP settings (eg I am shorter and older on the apps than IRL) to mitigate overestimation and inaccuracies, my "on paper" (on screen?) TDEE makes me gain.

On a related note... and at the risk of getting flamed: is EM2WL actually science-based / legit? I keep reading threads in the Group forum and so many people end up gaining and gaining and never coming back down in the cut on these supposedly much higher numbers. Not intending to cast shade - I just can't wrap my brain around it.

For the bold, I would probably recommend starting a new thread so we don't hijack @sgt1372.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ^ Yes, good point - didn't mean to hijack either.

I am not sure I dare, however, so we'll leave it at that!
  • sgt1372
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just another update.

Have been maintaining at 160# for the past 2 months. Don't think I look any "leaner" than I did 2 months ago -- pics don't look that different -- but I still have visible abs and lots of muscle definition.

Scheduled for another DXA scan at the end of Feb. DXA results run high. Last DXA in Nov had me at 16% BF. Hoping that the next scan will at least match the 12% BF hydrostatic result that I got in Oct. If not, I'll take another hydrostatic test in March. Gotta keep the results reported consistent w/the measurement methods used. Best case would be a lower BF and higher LBM at same weight -- a true recomp. Hoping for that but do not necessarily expect it.

Taking an unplanned break from lifting this week. The result of the classic "just one more" lift problem. Was doing a 1RM test for my DL on Monday - 3 days ago. My previous 1RM for the DL was 330 and was only going for 335. However, 335 felt way too easy. So, upped it to 345, which also felt "easy." Definitely more in the tank. So, I tried "just one more" lift at 350. I did it but it was more of a struggle and left it at that.

Only problem was that after doing the 350, I started feeling "some" pain in my right hip which actually became quite severe by the next day. So much so that I had a hard time getting out of bed and needed to use a cane to walk. No swelling. Took some ibuprofen and applied heat to address the symptoms. Also spent some extra time in the steam room and sauna at my gym. Severe pain went away in a day but the hip is still "tender." Just glad I didn't do anything more stupidly serious.

No further 1RM tests scheduled. Will resume lifting again w/lighter weights next week.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Correction: Last hydrostatic test result at 12% BF was in Dec (not Oct).
  • sgt1372
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One additional commen 4 the time being::

Just noticed that the sagging lower ab skin that developed after my 36# weight loss has now all but disappeared.

Odd thing about the sagging skin was that it was most noticeable when i tensed my ab muscles and less when they were relaxed. The skin looks about the same either way now.

I have been applying Retinol A "anti-wrinkle" cream and a Vit A, C & D enrinched mineral oil based lotion to my abs daily but don't know if this or just time contributed to this.

I'm sure the lotions haven't hurt - - have at least kept the skin moist - - but the passage of time which allowed the the skin to retighten on its own has probably been the main contributing factor.

• Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your fabulous progress!!!
    This thread gives me hope and is confirming what I'm finding with my own body. I've been in a steep deficit (with refeeds every weekend) for about 21 weeks now. I've been keeping my protein high for a short 41 year old female (100-140 grams). I've been implementing Wendler 531 and have been steadily progressing in strength until just recently. I've definitely hit the ceiling with how strong I can get at this point at this deficit. I cut out intense cardio (kept with slow steady state) as it was making staying at a deficit near impossible. I'm at a good place with my appearance and leanness and now just want to maintain. I have visible cuts in my shoulders, abs, hamstrings, and quads. I've come to accept that most TDEE calculators don't work for me...I gain when I try to follow them. I intend to maintain by keeping an eye on the scale (weighing daily because it works for me) while slowly adding back more food.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Congrats on your fabulous progress!!! This thread gives me hope and is confirming what I'm finding with my own body.

Thanks for your post! Glad that this "blog" of my progress has been of some benefit to you. Hopefully, the same applies to others.

FWIW, I too have pretty much plateaued as far as strength gains go and pushing the upper limits just leads to a greater likelihood of injury, as I again discovered last week.

Due to start lifting again today but frankly I'm resisting it, even though my hip is pain free now. May just do my pushup, pullup and dip routine to get back into it. Will definitely limit the weights upon restarting.

FYI, I have been using the 10x3 "Waterbury Method" since plateauing on Starting Strength 2 months ago. My progress in the DL is proof of it's effectiveness in increasing strength post-3x5 but at my age (66) it is really questionable whether my goal should be "greater strength" as opposed to just "good fitness."

Still struggling with the issue but I'm definitely leaning towards general fitness over max strength, especially as the risk of injury increases with age.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Great progress. It's awesome you keep us posted.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome results! Looks like you've found your sweet spot!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • sgt1372
    Options
    How tall are you?

5'8"