Banking calories

Options
I've heard a lot of you talking about banking calories. Never have done that, and don't know how to start. I've lost 40 pounds, almost to goal, so don't have much to work with. Any suggestions, and how you make it work?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    well said, @aliem. Another way to try it: shave 100 kcal off 6 days a week and eat 600 extra on the 7th.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    IMO, this technique is the single best thing I've learned in my two years on here.
    It's super-effective with intermittent fasting and calorie-cycling, especially.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Use the app

Check the reports

You get a weekly summary

Eat 100 cals less some days and have a blow out another day
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Well done on losing 40 lbs :) - I have to ask, why change? What you are doing is clearly working so stick to it maybe?

Sometimes I would just like to go out and eat what I want for a meal or 2, and im really afraid to do it right now. Sounds like I might not have much to work with anyway. Sometimes I have to exercise to eat more and that's a whole nother problem!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I bank calories for the weekend, even in maintenance. This works for me because during the week I have a FT desk job and pretty structured schedule so eating less is easy. Our weekend schedules varies greatly and we like to eat and drink more. Running a deficit during the week lets me not have to worry about every calorie I put in my mouth on the weekend. It lets me relax and enjoy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Well done on losing 40 lbs :) - I have to ask, why change? What you are doing is clearly working so stick to it maybe?

OP said she is getting closer to goal, implying a smaller deficit, smaller margin for error, smaller BMR, etc. IMHO banking calories is especially helpful when, as OP says, there's not much to work with. Good luck, OP. Experiment and see if it works for you!
  • swissmiss431
    swissmiss431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't like to bank calories, even if I know I'm going to a special dinner that week. When I don't eat to my limit I end up feeling so, so hungry the next day and it's hard to stick to what I should be eating and not binging on whatever I can find in my fridge or cupboard.

If you know you are going to have a big dinner just plan within that day, even if it means doing some extra exercise or having a lighter salad than normal for lunch.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't like to bank calories, even if I know I'm going to a special dinner that week. When I don't eat to my limit I end up feeling so, so hungry the next day and it's hard to stick to what I should be eating and not binging on whatever I can find in my fridge or cupboard.

If you know you are going to have a big dinner just plan within that day, even if it means doing some extra exercise or having a lighter salad than normal for lunch.

What's true for you may not be true for OP though. While there are some people who are like you and don't have success with banking calories, for many of us (including myself), it can work quite well.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

sometimes you get to a point where weight loss is done and you need to maintain or gain weight for me it was 175lbs I was to small for my goals so slowly putting 10 pounds back on over the course of 5 months
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Thanks! With 5 lbs to goal, I'm eager for ideas!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have so few calories each day that I eat every last one of them, so there's not really any room for banking them. Maybe some day! I am still new to this, though, so I am focused on changing my food behaviors, weighing my foods, and being pretty rigid.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I burn around 400-500 calories with exercise 5 or 6 days per week (I exercise 3 days on 1 day off in a cycle). I eat back 200 of these and "save" the rest for the weekend. I then can go to breweries or restaurants or cookouts or whatever without even thinking about it. This has worked for me being in maintenance for the last several months. I have recently decided that I would like to drop 5 or so more pounds so I will need to adjust a bit. Maybe just eating back 100 and banking 200 for the weekends, so leaving another 100-200 per exercise day for deficit...