Bulking

Options
2»

Replies

• Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

@trigden1991 - I appreciate your input brother.. You clearly have much to offer!

Your point about gaining 5lbs on a small frame is indeed valid and an oversight on my behalf! The scale weight is the trap that a vast majority of the population fall into ( I myself have been there). Chasing a goal weight or strength goal with no regard for lean mass gain. Couldn’t agree more about the importance of diet though. Diet is 80% of the battle for any fitness goal with training a close second.

Oh and just to add, I may be your junior but also have nearly a decade of training behind me ;) Always nice to get a constructive, informed opinion!

Thankful for both of your opinions!
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options

@trigden1991 - I appreciate your input brother.. You clearly have much to offer!

Your point about gaining 5lbs on a small frame is indeed valid and an oversight on my behalf! The scale weight is the trap that a vast majority of the population fall into ( I myself have been there). Chasing a goal weight or strength goal with no regard for lean mass gain. Couldn’t agree more about the importance of diet though. Diet is 80% of the battle for any fitness goal with training a close second.

Oh and just to add, I may be your junior but also have nearly a decade of training behind me ;) Always nice to get a constructive, informed opinion!

Cheers!

Finding that "sweet" spot when Cutting or Bulking can indeed be very elusive, and while there are certainly common things to focus on, much of it is individual. What works for me, might not work for others. etc.

I agree with you on the "scale trap" as well. So easy to fall into that trap, be it cutting or bulking. It's amazing how much your body can change w/ out much movement on the scale.

@Miss_Krissy87 - What kind of lifting regime are you looking at?

• Miss_Krissy87
    Options

Cheers!

Finding that "sweet" spot when Cutting or Bulking can indeed be very elusive, and while there are certainly common things to focus on, much of it is individual. What works for me, might not work for others. etc.

I agree with you on the "scale trap" as well. So easy to fall into that trap, be it cutting or bulking. It's amazing how much your body can change w/ out much movement on the scale.

@Miss_Krissy87 - What kind of lifting regime are you looking at?

Right now I'm just doing what I planned for myself with the help of research but the lifting is not the problem its getting enough calories.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The eating will come. As I believe someone else pointed out, it will eventually come. Start by adding just a few extra things through the day. Maybe an extra protein shake etc or protein bar. Split it in two and eat half in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Start small and gradually increase.

As many here can attest to: The kitchen is bar none the hardest part.

For myself I have a fairly consistent schedule when it comes to food intake.

Typically I eat at these times through out the day: 8am (Breakfast), 9:30am (Cottage Cheese or similar), 11am Protein Shake), 12:30pm (Lunch), 2:30pm (light snack) 4:30pm (Pre-workout shake or snack) 6-7p (Dinner), 9pm (Protein Bar).

This is just what works for me personally. Main meals are at 8am, 12:30, 6-7pm. The rest of the times are snacks or a Protein shake. Usually no more than two as I prefer to eat my protein. Sometimes a snack to me is a Chicken Breast. ;-)

• Miss_Krissy87
    Options
    The eating will come. As I believe someone else pointed out, it will eventually come. Start by adding just a few extra things through the day. Maybe an extra protein shake etc or protein bar. Split it in two and eat half in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Start small and gradually increase.

As many here can attest to: The kitchen is bar none the hardest part.

For myself I have a fairly consistent schedule when it comes to food intake.

Typically I eat at these times through out the day: 8am (Breakfast), 9:30am (Cottage Cheese or similar), 11am Protein Shake), 12:30pm (Lunch), 2:30pm (light snack) 4:30pm (Pre-workout shake or snack) 6-7p (Dinner), 9pm (Protein Bar).

This is just what works for me personally. Main meals are at 8am, 12:30, 6-7pm. The rest of the times are snacks or a Protein shake. Usually no more than two as I prefer to eat my protein. Sometimes a snack to me is a Chicken Breast. ;-)

Thank you! I'm going to try to start an eating schedule sort of like yours. I've been able to eat at 1900 so far this October. Hoping I can keep it up!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm trying to do is a slow bulk so I dont gain so much fat in the wrong places. Its the eating more that's hard and I don't know if eating more carbs is okay to.

carbs are fine....and when you bulk you can't control where the fat goes to, just like you can't control where it comes off from....
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've always found it hard to gain weight and it's not helped by a chronic illness which means I have to avoid certain foods.
    When I started logging calories on mfp I realised I just wasn't eating enough! I find it hard to eat big portions so I added extra in the form of snacks -
    Protein shakes (with full fat milk)
    Smoothies
    Dried fruit
    Nuts
    Peanut butter
    Oil in cooking and dressings
    Icecream
    Cheese
    Full fat yoghurt
    Avocados are good too (I can't eat them)
    I swapped white bread for granary and skimmed milk for full fat (though I can't stand it in tea and coffee )
    I also realised that I'm more active than I thought -I walk everywhere and rarely sit still plus my job is quite active, so I log that too and eat back the calories.
    It's working for me!
    Good luck
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I just started my first bulk after eating at a deficit for about half a year. Nearly doubling my calories and going from 25% carbs to 50% carbs. The first couple of days, my gut could barely deal with it. However, now I'm enjoying eating all day. I only eat about 60% of my nutrients throughout the day, and then make a massive calorie/carb bomb of a smoothie with a bunch of greens, for dinner. Quick, cheap, easy to cleanup.

I've even found 2,000 calorie smoothie recipes that I might have to try out on days that I cycle for 40 miles or more.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that pinterest has some great smoothies recipes - just search smoothies for weight gain
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Fat is 9 calories per gram as opposed to Carbs and Protein which are 4 calories per gram, right? So if you don't want to eat a whole more food but still want to add to your daily total calories, you want foods with higher fat content, so things like whole milk, whole eggs, peanut butter, oils (as someone mentioned earlier) like olive oil, flax seed oil (which is really good to add to shakes), red meat, ground meat, etc....all foods with higher fat content which will make it easier for you to consumer more calories.