Bodyfat

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Around 14%. Little way to go!

Trig...can you tell me...if I'm at 27, and at a nice weight (121)..do I really have to lose more weight to get my bf down?

No ....recomp

Protein and progressive resistance

This has been my thinking for the last few months. Except the "progressive" part, maybe I haven't been "progressive" enough!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Trig...can you tell me...if I'm at 27, and at a nice weight (121)..do I really have to lose more weight to get my bf down?

muscle mass helps.

Thank you! The thought of losing more weight (lost 80 already) is not one I cherish; the loss is really starting to show in my face, so I'd rather not lose any more. I do a fair amount of body resistance workouts and cardio, and a small amount of kettlebell workouts, maybe I'll increase those and see if it helps..

the thing is though, even if you do recomp, its still losing more bodyfat, so you'll see the changes in your body, just not the scales... thats where the saying 'you can have a nice face or a nice bum' comes from....
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I have no clue myself. I have a flat tummy. That's mainly all I care for. Haha.

lol yep, I guess if its flat then I wont truly care either
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Also no idea

Oh I have a reading on a bio impedence scale

And I also went for a dexa scan

But still have no idea

Turns out even though I firmly believed that dexa would be accurate, that operators can calibrate it in different ways so all the charts and averages I've seen were irrelevant to my readings as the operator told me where I stood in relation to the people he'd scanned and suggested I took off 6-7% to be relevant to the Google charts and images. @tomteboda also explained how they worked to me and how inaccurate they can be

son, I was disappoint

Damn. Youve actually saved me alot of "thinking" and from wasting my money as I have been contemplating a dexa scan for a while. They are ridiculously expensive.

So thanks, I wont even entertain the idea anymore.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

muscle mass helps.

Thank you! The thought of losing more weight (lost 80 already) is not one I cherish; the loss is really starting to show in my face, so I'd rather not lose any more. I do a fair amount of body resistance workouts and cardio, and a small amount of kettlebell workouts, maybe I'll increase those and see if it helps..

the thing is though, even if you do recomp, its still losing more bodyfat, so you'll see the changes in your body, just not the scales... thats where the saying 'you can have a nice face or a nice bum' comes from....

That's ok, I don't want the scale to change any further...and I want a nice face AND bum! (And belly too!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

muscle mass helps.

That's ok, I don't want the scale to change any further...and I want a nice face AND bum! (And belly too!)

you said you're already seeing the loss in your face, so you don't want to lose any more weight? you will still lose from your face.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

muscle mass helps.

you said you're already seeing the loss in your face, so you don't want to lose any more weight? you will still lose from your face.

Well yes, but i'm also 47....there's a chance some of these wrinkles are normal and not from weight loss, but I suspect a fair amount of them ARE from losing too much (Or was it all the scrunching up while working out and running, maybe?) I'm not too concerned, and am actually really pleased with my success so far, but I was shocked by the bf number I saw, and don't want to lose more weight. If I get more wrinkles still, so be it.. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had a DEXA scan in August and came in at 36%. That was disconcerting, especially after all other estimates (calculators, reliable people eyeballing me, etc.) had me around 26%. I figured the DEXA would be high 20s, but not mid-30s, putting me in obese range. After talking to the tech and reading a bit more about them, I don't believe that my results were accurate.

I think that knowing your bf can be interesting but I will caution you that if you struggle with your appearance or hint toward BDD, getting disappointing results can be very difficult.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Also no idea

Oh I have a reading on a bio impedence scale

And I also went for a dexa scan

But still have no idea

Turns out even though I firmly believed that dexa would be accurate, that operators can calibrate it in different ways so all the charts and averages I've seen were irrelevant to my readings as the operator told me where I stood in relation to the people he'd scanned and suggested I took off 6-7% to be relevant to the Google charts and images. @tomteboda also explained how they worked to me and how inaccurate they can be

son, I was disappoint

Damn. Youve actually saved me alot of "thinking" and from wasting my money as I have been contemplating a dexa scan for a while. They are ridiculously expensive.

So thanks, I wont even entertain the idea anymore.

FYI - I went down the BodPod scan route every six months as cheaper than DEXA in the UK - wasn't impressed.
    Had a roughly believable progression although the number seemed to clash with visual estimates but had one scan that was clearly a false reading (bigger arms/legs, smaller waist and better muscle definition but BF% apparently went up - hmmm).

Gave up trying to measure at that point.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

To decrease your bodyfat percentage you have 2 options;

1) Increase your muscle mass
    2) Decrease your fat mass

As a woman it is significantly easier to lose fat than it is build muscle. I personally would keep dieting until you're a bit leaner and then increase calories to maintenance/slight surplus to build some muscle.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    20% but I look better (no belly) at 17%. My Aria scale measures and logs it. I have no idea how accurate it is other than above 18% I start growing a gut and 15% and below I have abs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy when I get to 3 percent
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am currently around 18% or so. I'd like to get lower and that's what I'm cutting for now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    about 26%...I'd like to get to about 20%, I think...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You'll be dead or at the very least feeling like death. Essential bodyfat is around the 4-5% range! There is no need to be anywhere near that, ever.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Something like 20%. I'd prefer it to be around 10-12%. My profile picture from July 2014 is me around 12% BF...picture from February 2014 is something like 27% BF so right now I'm about half way in between.

BF measurements I've taken have been with calipers.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Currently at 15%, from probably 30+ before. Want to get to 10%, but I'm definitely happy with the progress :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You'll be dead or at the very least feeling like death. Essential bodyfat is around the 4-5% range! There is no need to be anywhere near that, ever.

I'm pretty sure he was joking, he got me before doing something similar on another thread.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The same bodyfat percentage can look very different on different people especially at lower bodyfats. I am admittedly fairly low muscle (my FFMI is about 18.5) so my 12% BF just looks lean with still a bit of pudge (see July 2014 profile pic) where as someone with a higher FMI might look completely cut at 12%.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm at 27.6% and nope, not happy with that. I'm hopeful that losing 20 more #'s will put me closer to 24% - and more importantly, the lean look I'm after. If not, I'll keep going. I'm 5-7". Oh, and I started at about 40%.