What to do with canned salmon?

Options
LenGray
LenGray Posts: 842 Member
I really want to make a salmon dish this weekend, but I'm not sure how to do anything but salmon patties...Any suggestions?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Donate it to your local food bank / charity.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great in stuffed potatoes
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hands down the best thing with canned is in the patty form, just change up the seasonings. we have made a "salmon loaf" before as well.You can also use it in a salmon salad for sandwiches, or a cracker spread. Here we have a lot of salmon in the summer so canning it is one of the ways we preserve it, besides freezing it. It keeps longer than freezing and I refuse to pay store prices for fresh salmon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use it for anything I'd use canned tuna for...not a big fan of canned tuna but canned salmon is ok.

I make chowders and bisque or make salmon burgers (need other stuff) or a salmon and noodle casserole, etc...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Throw it away and get fresh salmon for the grill.

False!!! I would take wild and canned over farmed and "fresh" any day of the week. Form into patties and sear in a pan or just toss into a salad. Delish!!!!

What about wild caught and frozen...actually I'm having that tonight...but yeah, I don't really like farmed salmon.

Living in the desert, I always assume "fresh" just means that it was frozen while still fresh on the boat...there's not such thing as actual "fresh" fish where I live unless you're trout fishing in the mountains.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Tip it straight down the toilet and cut out the middleman. Doesn't save much time, mind. Not for me, anyhow :(
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    cedder1 wrote: »
    Buy fresh!

I challange you to walk into a store today and buy me a piece of fresh, not farmed, not frozen salmon. Go. If you do, $100 on your way. I am serious.

I always have wild salmon in my freezer for the year. I bought enough when Costco starts selling it from Memorial Weekend until after Labor Day.

I hate that "farm" stuff and would rather do without if I cannot buy wild salmon.

Also Wholefoods sells fresh salmon as fresh as it can be.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP did you make a salmon dish yet with that canned salmon? :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    I did, actually. I made salmon patties with green peppers and chives. They were really tasty! Thanks everyone for the helpful, and not-so-helpful, responses :)

oooh how did you make them??