Best way to weigh dense vegetable soups

Options
I made some taco soup yesterday, my own recipe and I was wondering what is the best way to way on a scale? ounces, grams,
My soup is packed with onions, bell peppers, zuchinni, carrots, ground turkey, cannelini beans, black beans, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, taco seasoning mix and chili powder.
It is a thick soup

Thanks

Donna

Replies

• 8diamonds
    8diamonds Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it I divide it into portions and do it that way. So easy, love having lots of soup in the freezer.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything in grams. Not sure why the density would matter.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I find that if I make a big pot of soup or stew, it's too heavy for my food scale to weigh. In that case, I either divide it into individual containers as servings, or I measure how many cups the total batch was and then log 1 cup as 1 serving.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything in grams. Not sure why the density would matter.

Agreed.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I weigh in grams because my scale is more accurate that way. Plus, I don't always eat even oz of things. Easier for me to log x grams than 1.123 oz.

Just make sure you stir it really well before weighing so the liquid and chunky parts are evenly distributed. Although, if you are the only one eating it, it all works out in the end anyways.
  • Exquisitern
    Exquisitern Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, I'm the only one eating it. I'm the only one eating healthy in my house! I have 18 year old girls that could care less, but the soup was yummy.
  • Exquisitern
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I did it on recipe builder and wanted to be as accurate and I can.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, I'm the only one eating it. I'm the only one eating healthy in my house! I have 18 year old girls that could care less, but the soup was yummy.

This is the case for me when I cook as well. That's why I figure that if I've entered it correctly in the recipe builder and the way I've divided the servings kind of sort of make sense, the exact accuracy matters less. One "serving" might be a little bit less or a little more than another, but because I'm eating it all, it evens out.
  • KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Use the My Recipe feature. Weigh and log all of your ingredients and figure out how many servings. MFP will add everything up and give you calories and nutritional information per serving.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have this issue with my beef stew. My stew is very dense and I make a lot so it's too heavy for my scale. I actually weigh it out in several containers (dont have a container big enough to store all together anyway so I'd have to do this anyway for leftovers) then add the weights together for my servings.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    definitely weigh each individual ingredient IE how many ounces/grams of carrots, Onions, Peppers etc. then if you are using a commercial stock (beef or chicken or vegetable) you can get the info off the container/can/box... THEN once you have the whole thing added together divide by equal serving size to get your calorie count
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Weigh all ingredients and enter as recipe
    Cook
    Cool
    Weigh finished dish in grammes
    Log as 100g servings ...eg it weighs 2285 grammes, log it as 23 servings

Then each portion is number of 100g servings ie 3.5 for 350 g

Sometimes I skip the cool step
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I make a huge pot of soup every weekend and portion it out into Twist-loc containers for grab n go lunches. I keep what I am not going to use in the next few days in the freezer.

I use the recipe builder to enter the ingredients by weight but once it is cooked I use a one cup measuring cup to fill my containers. I make 1 cup equal one serving.

I also use food storage labels like restaurants use. Each container is labeled with what it is, how many servings is in it and what day it was made. Yes some might weigh more than others. Since I am the one eating it all it averages out over time. I did used to weigh each container and try to make them all the same weight. Just don't see a need to be that anal about it at this time.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything in grams for the recipe builder, including fluid. When I eat, I've divided the weight into 100g portions and select that way. As some fluid will have evaporated, I'm always slightly underestimating the weight that way.
  • Exquisitern
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. It is truly appreciated.
    Donna
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything in grams for the recipe builder, including fluid. When I eat, I've divided the weight into 100g portions and select that way. As some fluid will have evaporated, I'm always slightly underestimating the weight that way.

If you're weighing 100 gram portions of the finished product to eat, against the uncooked weight of the ingredients, your method will result in portions that are higher in calories than your recipe builder says. (100 grams of raw product = quite a bit less than 100 grams of cooked prodoct.)