Whey protein? Yay or nay

Options
I love the MyProtein Whey protein shakes and use them after my workouts as an additional source of protein but my husband says they are a waste of money as the body does not absorb enough of the protein to be beneficial
What's the general consensus?

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Your husband, bless his heart, is not entirely accurate.

There are whey proteins that are crappier than others in content and ingredients, but your body is going to use whey very efficiently.

That said, there's the "no more than 30g" argument for protein intake and the "that's not entirely accurate/WRONG" argument saying that argument is bunk so.... yeah.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Messes with my gut too much, so a nay for me.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yay. Without my shakes I'd never hit my protein goal. Do some reading on how to lose weight and keep the muscle mass you have, or if you are working out and losing weight, read up on some of the articles available for building muscle and losing fat at the same time. (I know.. I'm starting something people will argue about)

I, personally, set my protein macros at up to 1g/lb of my lean body mass. I weigh 185, and my body fat percentage floats around 12%, so that means my lean body mass is around 162 lbs. My daily protein goal is set around 185g but I try to get at least 162g per day. If I get more it's only because I need the calories and would rather choose protein over fat/carbs for those extra calories. Your body burns 20-30% of the calories you get from protein just digesting it. I don't think it's a waste at all. However, pre-made shakes are expensive and unnecessary in my opinion, look into the powders and a good shaker bottle. It'll save you money in the long run, or simply eat more meat if you can eat enough to hit your goals.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

There are whey proteins that are crappier than others in content and ingredients, but your body is going to use whey very efficiently.

That said, there's the "no more than 30g" argument for protein intake and the "that's not entirely accurate/WRONG" argument saying that argument is bunk so.... yeah.

Alan Aragon (with scientific studies quoted/included):
    http://atlargenutrition.com/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

To the OP: Protein shakes are a useful supplement to get more protein into your diet. Some protein shakes are better quality than others, but they're not a "waste of money" in the proper context.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »

Alan Aragon (with scientific studies quoted/included):
    http://atlargenutrition.com/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

To the OP: Protein shakes are a useful supplement to get more protein into your diet. Some protein shakes are better quality than others, but they're not a "waste of money" in the proper context.

YEP.