Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Vertical pulls at home - tall/long armed people

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
My husband is planning to start lifting a bit with me. The problem I am foreseeing is that vertical pulls at home might be a problem. He is on the taller side (6'2") and has longer arms (77" wingspan.) He can't do a pull up yet and if he uses a band, he'll pretty much be on his knees, nearly on the floor. It seems like a really awkward position to start in. One obvious solution would be to put the pull up bar up higher. I plan to do that after getting a new bar, likely in Christmas. But between now and then, is knees on the floor as a starting position likely to cause actual harm?

The other option would be lat pull downs but, again, the long arms make it difficult. Our cable machine is pretty low end and the bar height is not adjustable. He could sit on the floor straddling the seat post but I'm not sure how comfortable that is going to be. :neutral:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My husband is planning to start lifting a bit with me. The problem I am foreseeing is that vertical pulls at home might be a problem. He is on the taller side (6'2") and has longer arms (77" wingspan.) He can't do a pull up yet and if he uses a band, he'll pretty much be on his knees, nearly on the floor. It seems like a really awkward position to start in. One obvious solution would be to put the pull up bar up higher. I plan to do that after getting a new bar, likely in Christmas. But between now and then, is knees on the floor as a starting position likely to cause actual harm?

The other option would be lat pull downs but, again, the long arms make it difficult. Our cable machine is pretty low end and the bar height is not adjustable. He could sit on the floor straddling the seat post but I'm not sure how comfortable that is going to be. :neutral:

As long as he isn't slamming his knees (it's how I do it) and maintains a fairly locked posture, it should be fine. Alternately, if you have a resistance band and door attachment, you can simulate pull ups.
  • jemhh
    Options
    We don't have a door attachment but the current setup has the bar higher than it would be in a doorway. My pull up bar is a metal pipe thread through ratchet straps that are over the beam running across our basement. It's not ideal because the pipe tends to start to spin a bit. My plan is to get something more like this to replace it.

ea6e4a73ab13.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's a B!tch and a half, IMO, but might he be able to to L-pullups? Normally, I wouldn't suggest a beginner do these, but if he can, it's an option.

L-Pull-ups.jpg
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ha! I have the same issue at home. I'm 6'2" tall so pull ups are hard to do on door-mounted hardware. My knees are always bent starting out. But then again I'm not good at pull ups at all yet, mostly I do chin ups which are easier, and starting with the arms bent slightly helps. I'll progress eventually to the point where I can hang and do a pull up but I'll probably have to install a bar outside because of my height. I do use pull up bands to help build the right muscles for pull ups, same thing applies though, either I start with the knees bent or the arms, doorways just aren't tall enough.

By the way, I purchased a bar from "Perfect Pull Up" brand that hinges down so I could do inverted rows with it. Might help your husband. When I started I couldn't even do a chin up with the arms bent in starting position, now I can do many thanks to using it daily. Google or Amazon "Perfect Basic Pullup" to find it. They are less than $20 normally and bolt to the inside of the door frame. Can be used for pull ups or various positions for rows which will help his strength develop for chin ups and pull ups down the road.

Here's the model I have, it's installation video done by someone on youtube. I was surprised how sturdy it was for $20.

• jemhh
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It's a B!tch and a half, IMO, but might he be able to to L-pullups? Normally, I wouldn't suggest a beginner do these, but if he can, it's an option.

L-Pull-ups.jpg

You just reminded me of the pull up progression over at startbodyweight.com, which has a modification similar to L-pullups. This might be a good option for him to use when starting out, though I think it would be safer if somebody (I) sat in the chair to hold it down.

jackknife+pull+ups.JPG
    Ha! I have the same issue at home. I'm 6'2" tall so pull ups are hard to do on door-mounted hardware. My knees are always bent starting out. But then again I'm not good at pull ups at all yet, mostly I do chin ups which are easier, and starting with the arms bent slightly helps. I'll progress eventually to the point where I can hang and do a pull up but I'll probably have to install a bar outside because of my height. I do use pull up bands to help build the right muscles for pull ups, same thing applies though, either I start with the knees bent or the arms, doorways just aren't tall enough.

By the way, I purchased a bar from "Perfect Pull Up" brand that hinges down so I could do inverted rows with it. Might help your husband. When I started I couldn't even do a chin up with the arms bent in starting position, now I can do many thanks to using it daily. Google or Amazon "Perfect Basic Pullup" to find it. They are less than $20 normally and bolt to the inside of the door frame. Can be used for pull ups or various positions for rows which will help his strength develop for chin ups and pull ups down the road.

Here's the model I have, it's installation video done by someone on youtube. I was surprised how sturdy it was for $20.

I'm a chin up person rather than a pull up person too, though I tend to say pull up either way for some reason. The inverted rows are another good option. Thank you for posting that video :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Tucking knees into chest works abs...When coaches test pull ups sometimes they make the gymnasts hold their legs in a sitting position with a book or weight plate on their "lap"...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm a chin up person rather than a pull up person too, though I tend to say pull up either way for some reason. The inverted rows are another good option. Thank you for posting that video :)

That bar was one of the best uses of $20 I've ever spent. I probably use it more than all my other equipment lol, and I spent WAY more money on the rest. Found it at Wal-Mart one day. Love that thing, helped me learn chin ups quickly, and I still do the rows on top of that for the chest.

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use the pull up progression with the feet on a chair. I use a pretty sturdy dining room chair that doesn't go any where. He could also start in kneeling and use his feet to assist the movement.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have this problem myself same height and roughly wingspan as your husband. for me to hang vertically it takes well over 8ft. so most ceilings aren't tall enough.

I just bend my knees and keep my feet tucked up away from the floor the best I can. if the knees or feet do hit the floor its not that bad as long as your controling your decent. and with a wingspan like his he'll probably be a while just doing a couple pullups or chinups in a row. The benchpress can also have its issues however tall long armed guys progress generally well on the deadlifts. so its not all bad.