10/4- 5.03
    10/5- 3.0
    10/6- 5.0
    10/7- 4.4
    10/8- 7.4
    10/9- REST- Grumble Grumble Grumble
    10/10- 5.22

Total: 37.46/60

Today's notes: Today felt really good. There were some twitchy winds, so I ended up hitting headwinds at random points where I thought I should have cross or tailwinds, but nothing too bad. It was a great morning for a run with temps right near 50F. Ran my 5.22 miles in 53:20 for an average pace of 10:14 and only the first mile was above 10:20 pace. Average HR was 147, and I never left z2, though I did top out when I had a coughing fir while nearing the peak of a small rise.

I'm really starting to like the slower running again, I can feel my leg strength, and I didn't feel wasted after the run like I did the first few times I ran these slower z2 runs. This run really got me looking forward to stretching out the distances with the slower pace, it takes longer, but I feel so much stronger. I wish I would have convinced myself before, that's it's OK to slow down, because I can FEEL how these runs help me now.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira great job on the Monster Scramble. Sounds like a tough course - that area is really hilly. But it really was a beautiful day for running. I'm still debating the Burn Run. Right now I kind of never want to run again. We'll see in a week :)

Great race report @AdrianChr92! Congrats on a great race.

Feeling tired and sore today. I'm making it a work from home day and I plan to head to the Y to use the hot tub later and maybe take a gentle swim. But definitely mostly soaking.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 awesome race! you ran amazingly!
    @katharmonic sounds like a good plan you have there.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I finally had some free time this morning to check out all the race results and reports...........so inspiring!

@ereck44 @5512bf @Ohhim @katharmonic and @AdrianChr92 thank you all so much for the detailed race reports. I really love reading about your goals and accomplishments with all the trials and tribulations you all go through getting there.

Right now I'm only striving for a 10K next month and my times are very slow, this 66 year old body is still getting used to the demands I'm putting on it and so I'm taking my time getting to even that distance. If I'm honest with myself though I really want to try for a HM next year. I may come in dead last but I'd like to at least cross the finish line.

I'm learning so much from all of you!

I'm beginning to hate rest days!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @adrianchr92 - Awesome race report. Loved what you told your parents. Hopefully they didn't worry too much. What a pace! That medal... did they print those for you at the end? So cool.
    @ohhim - awesome report and time! Sorry about your friend!
    @5512bf - I’d count the whole Garmin time too! Way to go!
    @katharmonic - congrats! Nice picture!
    @ereck44 - Sounds like a tough run with those winds. That is so funny that they passed out kleenex. I needed those when I ran in Daytona last winter.
    @MNLittleFinn - I love the slower speeds as well. I find I get in a rut of just doing those and then when I finally think "oh yeah, better do some speed work" I love that as well. So it's all good. I guess we should just mix it up!
    @Orphia - a kangaroo! That's so cool. Beautiful pix!
    Sorry if I missed anyone's race! Good job!

I saw a coyote on my run this morning. At first glance I thought it was a dog, but as it turned to run away I could tell it wasn't a dog. I turned around at that point and decided to not do that particular cul-de-sac.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    10/3: 2.25 miles
    10/4: 2 miles
    10/5: 2 miles
    10/6: Rest Day
    10/7: 2 miles
    10/8: 2.25 miles
    10/9: 3.15 miles
    Today: 2.25 miles

Total/October: 20.8 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So, I was checking the results of the TCM TwinCities Marathon for this year, because I knew a bunch of people who ran it. On the website, they already have the days set for Marathon weekend for next year. IF I decide to try for a full next year, that would be the one I run, TCM is amazing for supporting their races.

There's 15 weeks between my target HM, and the marathon. 2 questions, is that enough time to train for a first marathon? and/or, should I treat my whole 25-30 week training cycle as a long Marathon training cycle train for the full, but make the decision to register after the HM?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day

Holy crap, I am so tired and so happy I don't have to run until tomorrow -- and even at that, probably in the evening rather than the morning. I woke up at 4:30 central time yesterday (thanks, time zones) and didn't get to bed until 12:30 central/1:30 eastern last night because I am dumb and thought an 8:40 flight (landing in Philly at 11:40) was a good idea two months ago. I emailed my boss when I got home and was like, "I'm going to be in late tomorrow. Like 10-11 am. I'll work late." Slept in until 8:00 when I got up to pee, then slept another hour, and now I feel more human again. And now it's off to Panera to pick up breakfast, then off to work!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon (Goal: 1:38 or better)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Wanted to go fro a run this morning but my alarm didn't go off when it was supposed to and I missed my window before work. Sigh. I guess I should take a rest day anyway after my long run yesterday. But I hate rest days.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Super frustrated this morning. Please scroll on by if you can't tolerate my venting. I think I rolled out of bed about 5:45 this morning. TOO LATE. I got out the door at 6:05 to start a half mile walk. So I started my run about 30 min after getting up. It was just not working. Same as last week, I struggled to get any lift off the ground, my legs ached all over, I was cranky because I wished I'd stayed in bed. Blah, blah, blah. This time I quit after a mile of running with walk breaks. I did go home and do a 30 min indoor workout to try and loosen up my cranky body. Even after that, my lower back protested about stretching. I only truly felt good and awake and loose after a hot bath.

I slept well Saturday night and slept in until 7:30am on Sunday then after church I was a total bum all day and napped a long while in the afternoon. But then we stayed up late last night. I think I need more consistent sleep, and I need more time to wake up in the morning before I run. But my 5:10am fitbit silent alarm has completely ceased waking me. I must be sleeping hard at that time. I'd been doing the silent alarm to get me stirring because I just don't hop out of bed. Hubby hates alarms (not saying I love them either) and generally wakes up without one, so he gets pretty ticked if I have real alarms going off multiple times before he's ready to get up.

I'm also frustrated that I've completely fallen off the wagon when it comes to any exercise other than running. I'm surely losing strength and flexibility. I think I need to move more when I'm not running and start rebuilding strength. I feel I've done nothing but regress for months now. I felt much stronger in June for sure than I do now.

This is a huge vent. I'm sorry. I think I'm very tired.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    One of my Facebook friends kind of put me down today with his reply to my post about running 7.2 miles and how it was 19 miles short of the Chicago Marathon that day. He referred to what I do as "casual jogging" and insinuated I couldn't train for a marathon. OK, I realize that I am nowhere near marathon shape, but who's to say I couldn't one day train for a marathon? I'm already planning to train for a half in the near future. In fact, I have decided my schedule. I will run a 10k in the spring, and after that I will start HM training. If anything, that Facebook comment made me more determined to do it.

Why do people feel the need to put other people down? I just don't understand.

I don't do Facebook. Does this person run? I'd guess not, since runners tend to be encouraging. You can run a full if you wanted too. I tend to sever relationships/influences that are not supporting my goals/needs. Except I am married to a turd. But he supports my running.

Why does he do it? He's not right.
  • greenolivetree
    edited October 2016
    Options
    One of my Facebook friends kind of put me down today with his reply to my post about running 7.2 miles and how it was 19 miles short of the Chicago Marathon that day. He referred to what I do as "casual jogging" and insinuated I couldn't train for a marathon. OK, I realize that I am nowhere near marathon shape, but who's to say I couldn't one day train for a marathon? I'm already planning to train for a half in the near future. In fact, I have decided my schedule. I will run a 10k in the spring, and after that I will start HM training. If anything, that Facebook comment made me more determined to do it.

Why do people feel the need to put other people down? I just don't understand.

Sorry to hear this. I've learned that non-runners just don't have anything positive to say about running. I post here and there about running on fb, more in the form of how nice the weather was or a pic I took, and the only likes and comments come from other runners. I specifically hide those posts from one non-runner who will make a negative comment every time. I gave up. I talk to this person every day and I don't say a WORD about running. They assume I quit running. That's fine. It's frustrating to hide a part of my life from a friend though. We just clash on the issue of running or any exercise in general so after years I quit talking about it. She's not changing :)

And yes, you can run as far as you like!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree Sounds like you need to rest. Maybe your fighting a cold or allergies or just need some down time. You have 5 days before you start to lose endurance. 84 until its just back to square 1. (I don't remember where I got that, prob something Stan put up).

I have to set multiple alarms, I can not get up. Dh uses no alarm either. Catch some naps, maybe go to bed super early after a relaxing bath for a few days. Sounds rough. Can you spring for a massage?

Oh, vitimans and iron supplements? I get like that and get a vitiman B shot if possible. Or just drink 100 energy drinks til it passes. *Not really 100. :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 Awesome race report and very inspiring.

@MNLittleFinn I actually plan a HM 4-6 weeks before my full as a time trial. Your first Marathon you shouldn't worry about a time. For me, I take my GMP and subtract 25 seconds and that should be my GHMP. If I succeed at my HM time trial, then it gives me a boost of confidence for what I plan to do at my target full marathon race. Point I am making is that you should have plenty of time to recover. Second point, you can train for both. Training for a full will only enhance your experience at the half distance.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 My marathon goal, if I run it, is simply to finish it. I just want to be part of the 0.5% that has run a full. I'm thinking that, since a lot of the longer Full marathon plans are longer than the 15 weeks between the 2 races I've planned, I can hopefully meld the second half of a HM training cycle into the beginning of a full cycle. In essence, I'm thinking have something that looks like a close to 30 week training cycle for the full, with the HM at the half way point. Does that make sense?

This is totally the Special Ed teacher in me coming out, making a general outline of a LONG training cycle.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double
    10/5 5 miles - 52.1
    10/6 10.5 miles - 62.6
    10/7 5 miles - 67.6
    10/8 17 miles - 84.6
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 13.1 miles - 97.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

Slept in late since I don't have work this morning. Took it slow as far as pace is concern because I did too much speed last week and it effected my long run last Saturday. I put in a long 13 miles because I don't plan on doing a daily double. I am going (used) car shopping today. My current car is giving me some trans problems and I rather put the money into something newer, less miles, and different. My 2002 Saturn is almost 200,000 miles on it and makes too much noise.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @greenolivetree Sounds like you need to rest. Maybe your fighting a cold or allergies or just need some down time. You have 5 days before you start to lose endurance. 84 until its just back to square 1. (I don't remember where I got that, prob something Stan put up).

I have to set multiple alarms, I can not get up. Dh uses no alarm either. Catch some naps, maybe go to bed super early after a relaxing bath for a few days. Sounds rough. Can you spring for a massage?

Oh, vitimans and iron supplements? I get like that and get a vitiman B shot if possible. Or just drink 100 energy drinks til it passes. *Not really 100. :wink:

LOL 100 energy drinks. I feel fine now and maybe I'll try that run again tonight. I should take vitamins but never can get the hang of it. My hubby pops 20 pills in the morning and I can't take 1. LOL! I've really been slacking on strength training for like 6 weeks now, so I gotta get that going again. I probably don't sleep well. Because I share a bed with someone who doesn't sleep well. He's on a high dose of prednisone now with no taper planned as of yet, so he's staying up later and later. And then he's up and down all night to the bathroom. I think my stirring at night probably correlates to his bathroom trips. 19ap1di1r570.png