Thinning down muscular thighs

Options
Hi everyone. As long as I have remembered I have had extremely muscular thighs, I don't mind my quads but my hamstrings seem to add a lot of bulk. I am not that big at 5 foot 3 121 pounds so my legs have always bothered me in shorts and leggings. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and what you did to solve this? Is it Diet? Any workouts? I heard Pilates might work? I am a long distance runner and it seems to do nothing for thinning them as well. Thanks so much!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If your legs are big due to muscle, you'd have to let that muscle atrophy in order to lose it. That would mean working it less.

This is a first--I have never read of a woman saying that her hamstrings are overly large.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's likely the way your genetics are. If there is some fat on them, dieting and lower bf% could be the only way. Otherwise there is no realistic exercise or solution for you. Embrace your build.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Just the hamstrings are unusually large? Not the entire legs? Well as other said atrophy..stopping running and exercising your legs.

Conclusion, can't really build quads to make the hams look smaller either.. You got what you got. Embrace those legs, they are helping you with LONG distance running..
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yes there is no such thing as targeted-site-specific weight loss.

life long runners will often have this tendency.

If you stopped running your leg muscles may reduce, but you'd also reduce the incredible mental and cardiovascular benefits of running.

Caloric deficits also lead to a reduction in mass. I have found (anecdotally) that wherever I tend to "hold my weight" seems to be the last place to go, so if that were the case, you may lose everything else before you saw leg loss. (But that's just my anecdote)

i'd say just dig on your legs. muscularity is attractive.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    how's your flexibility? when i let my own muscles get all short and chunky and thick, it does seem to make me look a little more like a fire hydrant.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can send some of your muscles over here. My thighs are huge but I'd rather have all the muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    how's your flexibility? when i let my own muscles get all short and chunky and thick, it does seem to make me look a little more like a fire hydrant.
    How does flexibility help with this? And did you build a ton of muscle for this to happen?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I thought that strong hamstrings are a really good thing for runners? Fewer injuries related to quad/hamstring imbalance?

wvxfafivtrg8.jpg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I have kinda big hamstrings. I like them and get compliments on my legs. Yours probably aren't as big as you think. Embrace the muscles you have!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can send some of your muscles over here. My thighs are huge but I'd rather have all the muscles.

May I share with you, pleeeease?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How does flexibility help with this?

i can't say anything about yours. what i meant about myself was: any time any of my muscles are tight, they bunch up and contract. result is a shorter, thicker 'line' compared with when i'm stretching more consistently and the tone is better <-- i'm using that word in the medical sense such as physiotherapist might use, not the cosmetic/visual one.

that's my own totally anecdotal experience, but people have different proportions of muscle belly to tendon, so i can't really speak about anyone else. i don't even know if mine are proportioned in any particular way. it ain't like i go around poking other women's legs to find out where their 'real' muscle begins and what kind of texture the fibres have.
    And did you build a ton of muscle for this to happen?

to be honest, i have no idea. i've been riding a bike since forever and started compound lifting two years ago, so by my own estimation i have pretty strong legs. i have no meaningful way to know how much actual muscle volume's involved though, compared with anyone else. or even with myself from before all of this.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

You want me to share my muscles or you want to give me yours?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options

I want to share with you the muscles that the OP may send you.
  • arditarose
    Options

I want to share with you the muscles that the OP may send you.

lol fine
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that's naturally blessed... humans work countless hours deadlifting, goodmorning-ing, lunging, leg curling and all manner of burny, sweaty, pee standing up torture to grow hammies.

CHERISH THEM.