Calories in a bowl of Spicy Ramen? (restaurant not instant)

Hi Guys

I would just like to ask if anybody here knows how many calories does 1 bowl of ramen have? This is authentic japanese ramen not the instant grocery bought ones. Thanks! :)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    This is going to vary widely depending on how much of the various ingredients the restaurant uses--I've seen bowls at different places that could easily range from 500 to 1000 calories (some places give you a ton of noodles, even when you don't order extra). Your best guess is probably going to be to mentally deconstruct the dish, estimate amounts of the various ingredients (noodles, meat, egg, veggies, added fat -- I'd go with a couple of teaspoons of oil, plus a couple of teaspoons of butter if you have them add that), and log them individually.

Or you can just look for similar sounding dishes in the MFP database and pick one of the higher calorie entries, preferably one that gives a volume or weight measurement as the serving, not just "one bowl," and that has a few user confirmations. I had a hot and sour ramen bowl a few days back, and didn't feel like dealing with the deconstruction approach, so I just logged the highest similar sounding dish I could find, for 432 calories, which seemed a little low to me, but I hadn't finished the bowl (delicious, but just too filling), so I decided it wasn't an unreasonable count for what I actually ate.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I just pick one from the database with a higher calorie count. At least 500ish. Spicy Miso Ramen is my favorite!! The packets don't even compare to authentic ramen!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I'm following because I couldn't find a good answer myself.
    I have used the calorie count from chain ramen restaurants - Wagamama and others. I would 500 calories is probably the base and can increase drastically depending size, broth type, additional ingredients, etc.

My concern is the portion sizes - I can't tell if the chain is serving the enormous portion my local place is.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    There are countless numbers of variables which will give you huge variances in calorie count. Your best bet to play it safe is check the database, guesstimate the size of "one bowl" and pick one of the higher calorie count ones.