Am I doing this right?

Options
I finally have my calories tweaked to where I seem to be gaining 0.5/mo. At 7wks in I've gained 3.5lbs. However, despite the scale moving my measurements haven't changed at all. My stomach may be slightly more squishy, but I guess I expected to see some difference by now (disturbing or otherwise).

I'm questioning whether I'm bulking, recomping... If what I've gained is only water or what.... I mean, I'm good with doing this at a snails pace, but I'm questioning if I've actually gained anything yet.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Gotta trust the process and stick it out. If you are gaining according to the plan and the lifting program is the right program, you are bulking!!! But its not a snails pace, its right where it should be, you are not wanting to gain too fast.

eta: I get really pudgy when I add calories and start bulking. Along with water weight/retention and being female, well for me it messed with me a bit on my first bulk..
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love your pic Roxiedawn. I hope I can get there someday too!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Love your pic Roxiedawn. I hope I can get there someday too!

Thank you so much! And yes you can! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I finally have my calories tweaked to where I seem to be gaining 0.5/mo. At 7wks in I've gained 3.5lbs. However, despite the scale moving my measurements haven't changed at all. My stomach may be slightly more squishy, but I guess I expected to see some difference by now (disturbing or otherwise).

I'm questioning whether I'm bulking, recomping... If what I've gained is only water or what.... I mean, I'm good with doing this at a snails pace, but I'm questioning if I've actually gained anything yet.

Keep in my you gained 3.5 over your entire body. Give it more time and keep lifting hard.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you managed to increase the amounts that you are lifting? Then it's likely some of that gain is muscle (assuming you are not new to lifting, in which case gains can be made without new muscle).
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Have you managed to increase the amounts that you are lifting? Then it's likely some of that gain is muscle (assuming you are not new to lifting, in which case gains can be made without new muscle).

I've progressed, yeah. It seemed like when I was cutting those last couple pounds I could see a difference as each little bit came off, so I guess I've been expecting to look pudgy and see measurements increasing pretty quickly.
    As long as I know I'm on the right track it's all good.

143353326 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep on going with your track and have some patience you will surely achieve your goal.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Is 0.5 pounds a month your goal? I am just curious because I was going to aim for 1-1.3 pounds a month and am now wondering if that is too aggressive (considering my age and sex).

That is awesome that your progressing on your lifts!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit slow to me. But I also blew up quickly so I might not be the best person to ask. Would you feel more comfortable gaining .5lbs per week?

I didn't start looking really pudgy until 3 months in
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Is 0.5 pounds a month your goal? I am just curious because I was going to aim for 1-1.3 pounds a month and am now wondering if that is too aggressive (considering my age and sex).

I think that was a typo. In 7 weeks, she has gained 3.5lbs. I think it was 1/2 lb per week.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I think that was a typo. In 7 weeks, she has gained 3.5lbs. I think it was 1/2 lb per week.

It was a typo. Sorry!

And I refuse to gain any more than 2lbs/mo because, yeah....I kinda consider myself screwed due to sex and age anyway. I suppose I'm keeping my expectations a bit low, but...it is what it is, and it's gonna be what it's gonna be.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

It was a typo. Sorry!

And I refuse to gain any more than 2lbs/mo because, yeah....I kinda consider myself screwed due to sex and age anyway. I suppose I'm keeping my expectations a bit low, but...it is what it is, and it's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Oh good - glad that was a mistype! I have been really interested in what you are doing. I am going to gain little slower than you - I want to go until March and I think around 110 pounds I will start to hate myself. :wink:
  • cnbbnc
    Options

It was a typo. Sorry!

Oh good - glad that was a mistype! I have been really interested in what you are doing. I am going to gain little slower than you - I want to go until March and I think around 110 pounds I will start to hate myself. :wink:

I could stand to go a bit slower too. The extra food is great and I feel so much better overall for it that I'd like it to last as long as possible. :smile: I started at 110 and figured 10lbs would just about get me through the holidays, but I'm just going to see how it plays out. If I can stand it AND I feel like I'm making some sort of progress I'll try to go longer.