Am I doing it wrong?

Options
I go to the gym 6 days a week. I can only go after 8pm during the week and Saturdays I try to go at 7am. Its always the same routine, I strength train first, if you can really call it that. I only use the basic machines and stay away from free weights. Mostly because I'm intimidated by all those people who are in amazing shape. I work on chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and back. Everyday the same routine. I havent been doing legs because after the strength training, I go on the treadmill and have pretty much been doing a version of the C25K training. I feel like, strength training my legs will make the jogging impossible to do. That training is suppose to be 3 days a week but Ive been doing it everyday. Then some days I hop on he elliptical after the treadmill.

I read that people have off days and only hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I have only missed one day out of my regular days and I felt terrible about it, so I'm not sure if going less days to the gym is the right thing to do.
Also, people have recommended a personal trainer but I cant really afford one at the moment.

I feel good though. I see changes in my body and I assume thats a good sign. Am I over doing it though? How can I be more efficient in getting the results I want? I would like to lose weight but also want to build muscle.

Replies

• aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You should be using the free weights. Don't be intimidated.

You don't need a personal trainer, you just need to grab a beginner's strength training program and follow it. It really works.

Congrats on the improvements you've seen. Consistency is probably the most important factor, but to answer your question there are more effective methods.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, the people who have off days and hit the gym 3/4 times a week are following an established program and rest days are scheduled because they are needed for recovery.

By doing the same thing everday, you are not allowing your body to rest. Your body at rest is when you grow.

By not sticking to the program, you aren't going to see the results you want to see.

It's about working more efficiently.
  • corazombie
    corazombie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you two.. I'll start by looking up programs and go from there.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    @corazombie - here is a list of strength training programs if you are interested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

The Beginners section is where you'd want to look.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try an established routine, like stronglifts or Nrol, using free weights. Follow it. They are usually 3 days a week. On the other days you can do your run training. No need to do both the same day but you can still do 6 days at the gym, if that's what you like. There is no reason to not train your legs....or any body part for that matter.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've started Freeletics Gym coach app (not the bodyweight or running version). I have had a few years away from training but know I can still lift a bit. However, the app had me starting at literally a 15kg bar. The first couple of weeks the routine had me still muscle sore and slowly but surely I am adding the weights, the weight is increasing and my rowing times are improving. Don't be scared to sit there with just a bar and small weights. Even though you know you can lift more at least you see the progress and increase each week, resulting in a new personal best.

I see people much smaller than me who I know I can lift more than, currently lifting more than me. But to be honest the workouts on the app are fantastic and I am dripping by the time I'm finished. I often get the feeling that people are looking and getting a bit jealous that they aren't working as hard as me and they don't even have a sweat on.

Anyway, free weights are a must. Compound strength exercises like flat bench, squat, deadlift, military press, triceps extensions, bent over rows are key to burning fat and gaining muscle.

Break through your barriers, including the mental ones, and you will soon see the results.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Your body adapts to doing the same thng over time. Change it up a bit. Try your 7am run outside for example.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with doing what you are doing pretty much every day is that repetitive strain will cause injuries over time that will result in missing more days that you would miss by taking rest days. Over training is a real thing, and it sneaks up on you because it is a cumulative thing.

I agree, don't be intimidated by the free weight section. There is a reason the people there look so good.
  • corazombie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Ive been looking up programa and workouts online all weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to start one of the dumbbell ones on Samanthas link.

I also will consider trying to workout in the AM. My biggest issue is waking up, haha.
  • corazombie
    Options
    Just a follow up, today i went to the gym in the morning, i began the m&s full body dumbbell program..

Compared to all the machines i was using before, it feels like i didnt do enough, just because it was so much quicker... i loved it though.. i feel tired from it but the good kind of tired...

Now i have to rest tomorrow and go at it again on wednesday... i cant shake the feeling of not having done enough though... i dont feel like i really deserve a rest from strength training tomorrow... im still gonna take rest day, but is it normal to feel this way?

Also, i lost 6 pounds since my last weigh in on the 29th of sept.. that feels good.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    corazombie wrote: »
    Just a follow up, today i went to the gym in the morning, i began the m&s full body dumbbell program..

Compared to all the machines i was using before, it feels like i didnt do enough, just because it was so much quicker... i loved it though.. i feel tired from it but the good kind of tired...

Now i have to rest tomorrow and go at it again on wednesday... i cant shake the feeling of not having done enough though... i dont feel like i really deserve a rest from strength training tomorrow... im still gonna take rest day, but is it normal to feel this way?

Also, i lost 6 pounds since my last weigh in on the 29th of sept.. that feels good.

I think that will come with time. I have noticed that when I first start something, I'm really gung-ho and I want to go ALL the days and think resting is going to hold me back. But the opposite is true. Resting properly allows your body to perform at its best. Usually after a rest day, I can hit lift more than if I went two days in a row with heavy weights.

It may seem easy at first, but it does get harder. That's what progression is - with any properly designed program.

Patience is key!

Congratulations on your loss!

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If I could pick four lifts that are a must.

1. dead lift ( If I could pick one lift it would be the dead lift
    2. Squats ( get good form check it with video)
    3. bench press dumbbell ( I do Flys 10 reps then bench 10 times equals one set)
    4. Pull ups or assisted pull ups band ( I do Various angles with ropes and rings)

Then realize all of the above is about 10% of what truly matters! Get your macro's in line and Believe calories are needed to build muscle none of the 1200 calories crap will ever build muscle.

You need More Protein looking at your log.
  • corazombie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the replies @samanthaluangphixay and @Michael190lbs

Ill see how i feel by the end of the week. I can say though, that i didnt realize how difficult it is to keep the dumbbells balanced. Right away I knew why you guys wanted me off of the machines.

Im still a little intimidated by deadlifts and squats with the barbell. Maybe once I get settled in with the m&s dumbbell program, i feel a little more confident about those two. It was a wise decision to go in the morning though, less people than around 8pm. Thats when all the bros come out and hog all the benches.

Oh and the protein thing, ill work on that too.. im still trying to find a way to balance everything out... should i just meet the protein goal or go over it? I would like to bulk up at some point, but right now i just need to lose all this weight ive carried around for a long time.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    post your age weight and height I'll give you a range you should be in. You can't go over protein within reason just calories for a specific goal.
  • corazombie
    Options
    6' 0"
    291 lbs
  • Michael190lbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • corazombie
    Options
    3500 calories to maintain and 3k to cut????

Why are these numbers so different compared the ones i get here in my diary??
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    3500 calories to maintain and 3k to cut????

Why are these numbers so different compared the ones i get here in my diary??

The numbers in your diary do not include your exercise calories.

The TDEE formula does.
  • corazombie
    Options
    Ohhhh now it makes sense. Thank you. How do you calculate the amount of calories burned when strength training?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Ohhhh now it makes sense. Thank you. How do you calculate the amount of calories burned when strength training?

It's pretty minimal. You could enter it into the 'cardio' section of the MFP database and enter the minutes spent.

Remember that everything is an estimate, and MFP numbers tend to be overinflated. That's why it's important to watch the nutrition part. It's a bit easier to control than the exercise burn portion.