Do I really need to weigh food?

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't YET. I measured cheese a few times to be able to eyeball 1oz. BUT I'm set to lose 2lbs a week. If I go over slightly I'm still ok. I also don't eat my exercise calories back YET (I'm only walking) to help cover for any overages.

Having said all of that I'm sure I cheat myself some calories and some days I'm over due to not weighing. My goal has been from day 1 to learn while I'm losing to get a good feel of calorie count and portion so I can eat this way for life hopefully without weighing.

Disclaimer: I may change my mind if weight stops coming off for weeks or when I get closer to goal as I hear its a much slower rate of losing.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I did weigh food in the beginning to help me get an idea of portion sizes. Then when I thought I had gotten the hang of it I would do a 'maintenance trial' and not weigh food for a bit and if/when the weight started to creep up, I would start weighing food again. I really don't want to be weighing food every day for the rest of my life.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Like if the package says two pieces of bread is 140 calories, do I not believe it? My diary is open, so feedback welcome (please, be kind stranger)!

The last loaf of bread I bought said 2 slices = 50 g = 130 cals. I weighed one slice. It was 55 g. So, actually, 2 slices = 110 g = 286 cals.

Packages don't usually lie by that much (and I find bread to be worse for misreporting portion size than most other food), but if you stop losing, you may want to look into weighing your food. If you can lose without weighing then you don't need to weigh.

• eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My scale has been the most useful practice in my weight loss. After goal I got a bit lazy and weight starting slowly creeping back. Back to the scale, and back to goal. But to your question, no you don't have to use a scale to lose.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    weighing food is the newest big rant on here. I weigh for reference to educate myself.. I know now what two to three ounces of meat look like and two ounces of uncooked pasta. My work there was done. Don't want to weigh each bite i eat forever.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    If you stop losing it may help. Our eyes play tricks on us and we underestimate portions. Here is a great video demonstrating why weighing is important:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

See.. i wouldn't weigh this stuff.. i just wouldn't eat chips or a creamy salad dressing.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    do what works for you. i have lost quite a bit of weight, and i never weigh my food. i do weigh myself every day though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    New-ish to MFP (one month). Had a big loss the first two weeks I was counting and nothing the second two weeks (a few splurge days, maybe?) I never counted calories so this is a big change all around...I keep reading that people weigh their food? Is it that important? Like if the package says two pieces of bread is 140 calories, do I not believe it? My diary is open, so feedback welcome (please, be kind stranger)!

if you're going to do this then you may find the closer accuracy that comes with weighing food to be helpful

But no there's no rule ...do what works for you
  • ShogunOfWano
    ShogunOfWano Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You don't need to but if you want than you can.
    If you want to lose weight than eat not more than 1/3 rd of your stomach and drink not more than 1/3 Rd of your stomach. And don't eat more than 3 times a day. You will be suprised of the results you see.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh things like slices of Wonder bread or packaged things but I do weigh things like meat, cheese, anything really calorie dense. If I were to stall (and I have) I'd just evaluate if I'm being as accurate as I can be. There are days I weigh vegetables I chop and there are days I eyeball 2tbsp of mayo. You need to collect more than two weeks of data to know what you can and can not get away with
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would definately recommend weighing your food using scales and measuring your liquids using a measuring jug. I think it's important to realise that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. That being said, I think a lot of time should be invested into perfecting your diet. Measuring your food is crucial. You may think you're eating 1500 cals for example & it turns out your acting eating 2100 cals. I think if you want to track your calories religiously and you want to lose a certain amount of weight weekly (like I do), than weighing your food is essential. However, if you don't mind eventually losing at a slower pace and you're okay with losing a pound or half a pound here & there, then I guess it's fine. It really depends what kind of person you are and how much you want to lose the weight. Hope this helped.

Good luck ❤️.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food is the #1, best thing you can possibly do to lose weight. We are bad at estimating, even packaged food like bread is just an estimate. It may say 30 grams, but they are allowed to be so much over/under. I'm not saying you have to weigh bread, but for more calorie dense foods, weighing is a must. Scales are cheap, check Amazon. Less than $15. Your entries shouldn't say, for example, 4oz of Chicken, if you weighed it would say something like 3.8oz, or 4.4oz, that is what happens when you weigh. Little variations can have a huge impact on your ability to lose weight.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Like if the package says two pieces of bread is 140 calories, do I not believe it? My diary is open, so feedback welcome (please, be kind stranger)!

The last loaf of bread I bought said 2 slices = 50 g = 130 cals. I weighed one slice. It was 55 g. So, actually, 2 slices = 110 g = 286 cals.

Packages don't usually lie by that much (and I find bread to be worse for misreporting portion size than most other food), but if you stop losing, you may want to look into weighing your food. If you can lose without weighing then you don't need to weigh.

I don't eat bread now, but I did weigh it a few times because everyone told me I had to.

I found out in my case that I didn't really need to. I think each slice was supposed to be 55g. The ones on the ends were 54g and the ones in the very centre (highest point of the loaf) were 56g. The rest were exactly 55g. I kind of figured at that point that over time it would all even out for me and stopped weighing bread.

At this point in my journey the only times I have stalled, I've known exactly why I stalled (i.e. it wasn't due to imprecise measurements, it was due to flat out eating too much). I'm also of the opinion that weighing is a good tool when one is stuck or has a very small deficit, especially without exercise.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    If you stop losing it may help. Our eyes play tricks on us and we underestimate portions. Here is a great video demonstrating why weighing is important:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

See.. i wouldn't weigh this stuff.. i just wouldn't eat chips or a creamy salad dressing.

If what you are doing is working, then you don't need to do anything differently. Best of luck and keep of the good work!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, then it's a good idea. I'm in a maintenance type of phase and I choose not to weigh some of my veg and pre-packaged food now. But if I really want to lose it all gets slapped on the food scale.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight as expected then no, you don't have to weigh your food. Weighing everything you eat becomes important when weight loss stalls, plateaus or you gain, but if everything is going along swimmingly, then save the scales for when/if they are needed.

As for weighing bread.. The info on my loaf of bread says 2 slices equals 83g, but in reality they are 101g, quest bars say 60g, but they usually weigh 65-66g. If i trusted the package info for everything i eat, i would be eating way more calories than i thought..

For me, this. I have been doing well without weighing/logging. I do weigh out things like peanut butter, dressings, and other small things that can really impact it. But no logging. Having said that, if I find myself going a week without a loss or even a gain, I will absolutely bring out the scale and start weighing. But, this is just me. If it makes you more comfortable or you feel better knowing the exact amounts, I am all for you weighing! Ultimately, its what works best for you. Over time it may change - just part of the journey!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you're not losing, then it's a good idea. I'm in a maintenance type of phase and I choose not to weigh some of my veg and pre-packaged food now. But if I really want to lose it all gets slapped on the food scale.

^^^ This is your answer. If you are losing what you expect to lose without weighing, then what is the point? You just happen to be good at estimating.

If you start to slow down unexpectedly or are losing weight faster than you should, then weighing is the FIRST thing you should do to try to troubleshoot.
  • fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't think weighing food is essential but it is insightful. I only recently started weighing (I don't weigh everything because my partner does half the cooking and he doesn't weigh) but was surprised at some of the things I was getting wrong. For example, on here a hass avocado was around 250g and I would use those stats. I weighed my avocado this morning and it was only 95g. I think if you're close to your calorie count each day it's handy to know if you've logged accurately because you could be eating too much or too little with the stored food details. But I've only just started weighing for my own curiosity and lost weight without weighing, so I think it's all down to preference really.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale just increases the accuracy. ..I overestimated some things but I used my scale mostly because I underestimated most things and I wanted to be able to short myself