Happy dance. Bench press. Confidence in the gym.

Options
middlehaitch
middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Warning.... this is a long happy post with a pic at the end- read at your own risk.

Woohoo, I did my very first barbell bench press today. 27lbs. Yup 27lbs and I happy danced all the way home.

I have, for the past few months been doing my own version of the AllPro programme.

I work out at the local rec centre. It has a decent selection of hand weights, a few body bars, lots of machines, and 6 full size barbells, plus squat cage and bench.

I am 100-105 lbs, 5'1 and never exercised until I was 54. I'm 63 now.

With the above stats walking into the gym and starting a programme, any programme, took a large bit of ego and a lot of confidence (both dredged from the pit of my stomach). It also took a bit of bastardising of the AllPro programme.

When I started I could just lift the 45lbs bar off the ground so it wasn't going to be too useful so every move was done with a mix of Dumbbells or machines. I would do the Dumbbells for the form and small muscle activation, machines for strength. Not perfect but, though frustrating it worked well enough for me.
I did get to use the Oly bar for deadlifts.

Today there was a notice on the weight room door informing the petite older woman that there was now a 17.5 lbs and woman's 35 lbs bar in the free weight area.
I had asked for them about 2 months ago.
HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE

Today was the light day of week 4 of the programme so 2 working sets at 11 reps.
I decided to do it all using the 17.5 bar. It was wonderful. I could warm up, add weight, do every move in the same little area. The only thing I missed doing with my bar was the squat- the cage was busy and I like to do that first.
Ooh, and my 1st time going over bare bar weight for my DL. 47.5.

Bliss, pure bliss.

So for everyone who is intimidated by the gym. Intimidated by people lifting much heavier than you- don't be.
No one laughed at me, no one stared, no one pointed and giggled.

I was treated with acknowledging nods and respect.

Well one guy did have a giggle. But that was with me. He was huge, moving things twice my weight, but was nice enough to take a pic of excited me doing my very first bench press.
He really didn't care that it was only 27 lbs. heck he was impressed that I was willing to do it. He asked my age, I told him. He grinned and said he hopes he is still coming to the gym at my age.

Here is my first bench. Hee hee.

13zy5f4k8992.jpeg

Cheers, h.

Jeez it has taken me 4 hrs to pluck up the courage to post this. People on the forum scare me much more than those in the gym B)

Replies

• Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good job! B) All Pro is a solid program, looks like you're doing great with it.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations!! I hope others read this post and feel inspired and maybe a bit more confident to go to the gym and own it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bravo young lady!
    :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :bigsmile: @middlehaitch

whos-awesome.jpg
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff and congrats!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Good for you, @middlehaitch ! Just the beginning!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yay!! The empty barbells at my gym are too heavy for me too. Maybe I will press my gym for a lighter one too! You are inspirational :D Thanks for sharing.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    How wonderful that the gym ordered those!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work @middlehaitch :) Very nice!

I'm glad your gym was responsive to your request. That's fantastic.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story, and one that brought a huge smile to my face this morning! I hope Im at the gym still when I am 63! Just proof that you are not defined by age, (race, religion, disability, etc.) YOU GO ROCK IT!!!!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!!!!
  • Cintirich
    Cintirich Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Made my day! :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i love it so much when someone achieves something. i don't care who it is or what the achievement is. when they make a personal breakthrough like this one, it's a privilege to be there and sharing it from the sidelines.
    I was treated with acknowledging nods and respect.

this is why i love lifting in public so much. there's a graciousness in most of the people you come across that's just good for your faith in humanity.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You rock!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    You go, girl!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!