October Fun Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,076 Member
    Options
    So, as much as I loathe them (because I never use them), I got a gym membership today. It's relatively close to my house only a couple of miles away, and with the winter months approaching, figured I'd need a place to go to work out when I can't get on the water for paddling. Also, a number of folks from my church are working out there, so I'll have people I know there to keep me accountable (they even gave me a nice discount because of my church, which was cool). Plan to start doing at least my MWF workouts there, so should be able to get my strength training in regularly now...no excuses.
  • Missnu13
    Missnu13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    So, as much as I loathe them (because I never use them), I got a gym membership today. It's relatively close to my house only a couple of miles away, and with the winter months approaching, figured I'd need a place to go to work out when I can't get on the water for paddling. Also, a number of folks from my church are working out there, so I'll have people I know there to keep me accountable (they even gave me a nice discount because of my church, which was cool). Plan to start doing at least my MWF workouts there, so should be able to get my strength training in regularly now...no excuses.

Very nice. Is the gym Planet Fitness by chance? Not a big fan of them.

Today's weight attack will be, shoulders, traps, lower back, and calves. Good day all!!
  • b3achy
    Options
    Missnu13 wrote: »

No, it's Crunch Fitness. Seems to be a nice place. Lots of fun classes (TRX, mini-trampoline, Zumba, Pilates, etc), the people working are super nice, and being a new place everything is all bright and shiny still. Trying to convince them to get some paddleboard exercise machines so I can workout there when it is too cold out to go on the water. ;)

I stopped in today since the weather isn't cooperating yet to go paddleboarding. I did try out a zero gravity running machine today...a bit weird at first, but it definitely worked some muscles I've not used in a while (sore tonight). And they at least have rowing machines, so while not exactly paddling, it will workout out my upper body and some legs.

I get a free session with a trainer tomorrow, and I really want him to show me some good strength training options.

Place only has cardio machines (bunches of different types), weights (machines, pulley and free), a martial arts/boxing area, and a room for classes. So it's a pretty small gym. Best part is there are folks of all ages, all sizes, and I didn't see too much make-up on most of the women (mostly only on the front desk workers), so seems to be more of a workout joint than a pick up joint. I definitely left pretty sweaty.
  • Missnu13
    Options

No, it's Crunch Fitness. Seems to be a nice place. Lots of fun classes (TRX, mini-trampoline, Zumba, Pilates, etc), the people working are super nice, and being a new place everything is all bright and shiny still. Trying to convince them to get some paddleboard exercise machines so I can workout there when it is too cold out to go on the water. ;)

I stopped in today since the weather isn't cooperating yet to go paddleboarding. I did try out a zero gravity running machine today...a bit weird at first, but it definitely worked some muscles I've not used in a while (sore tonight). And they at least have rowing machines, so while not exactly paddling, it will workout out my upper body and some legs.

I get a free session with a trainer tomorrow, and I really want him to show me some good strength training options.

Place only has cardio machines (bunches of different types), weights (machines, pulley and free), a martial arts/boxing area, and a room for classes. So it's a pretty small gym. Best part is there are folks of all ages, all sizes, and I didn't see too much make-up on most of the women (mostly only on the front desk workers), so seems to be more of a workout joint than a pick up joint. I definitely left pretty sweaty.

Good deal. I go to a small family owned gym here that is open 24 hr. I like to go late so I can avoid the majority of the "selfie" lifters.

This evening weight attack.

Biceps, triceps, forearms, calves, abs and obliques.

Cheers all

• b3achy
    Options
    Managed to pull a muscle in my arm today (my fault for pushing myself a bit too hard), but looking forward to getting some real weights workout at the gym now. I don't think the resistance bands were doing much for me anymore, especially since I needed some Advil tonight for my soreness from the light weights workout from today.

Goal at least 2 Days of Resistance/Body Weight Training per Week (M/W/F)

3 October (M): Kettlebells - 2 sets of 6 exercises - 6 minutes
    5 October (W): Still sick and just not feeling it today.
    7 October (F): Resistance Bands - 2 sets / Heavy resistance - 28 minutes
    Week 1: 2 of 3 days done, Week 1 Goal reached :)

10 October (M): Did nothing (but got a gym membership)
    12 October (W): 40 minutes - strength training (gym/weight machine check out with trainer) - mostly upper body and some legs
  • Jacquitheelder
    Jacquitheelder Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Excellent start
  • Missnu13
    Options

Light leg work tonight. Squats, deadlifts, calves, leg press.
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Felt pretty good at the gym today, despite the pulled muscle on Wednesday. Though I did forget to do a machine that I should have. Still working on figuring out my starting weights for all the machines, but have them logged now so next visit should be more focused.

Goal at least 2 Days of Resistance/Body Weight/Strength Training per Week (M/W/F)

12 October (W): 40 minutes - strength training (gym/weight machine check out with trainer) - mostly upper body and some legs
    14 October (F): 30 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body and legs (also did some abs work with a class at the gym)
    Week 2: 2 of 3 days done, Week 2 Goal reached :)
  • Jacquitheelder
    Options
    Felt pretty good at the gym today, despite the pulled muscle on Wednesday. Though I did forget to do a machine that I should have. Still working on figuring out my starting weights for all the machines, but have them logged now so next visit should be more focused.

Goal at least 2 Days of Resistance/Body Weight/Strength Training per Week (M/W/F)

14 October (F): 30 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body and legs (also did some abs work with a class at the gym)

Love ❤️ your style
  • Jacquitheelder
    Options

Light leg work tonight. Squats, deadlifts, calves, leg press.

The squats are killers but man good for one's butt. Nice work
  • b3achy
    Options
    On track to maybe get three days this week...fingers crossed!

17 October (M): 32 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, abs, legs
  • Missnu13
    Options
    This evenings weight attack.

Chest, triceps, lats. Calves and abs. Threw in some pull ups as well.
  • Missnu13
    Options
    This evening weight attack:

Biceps, forearms, light tricep, abs, and calves,
  • b3achy
    Options

17 October (M): 32 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, abs, legs (2 sets)
    19 October (W): 35 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, legs (3 sets)
  • b3achy
    Options
    Decided to take a rest day today. My body is just beat/exhausted. Planning to go to the gym tomorrow to get some weights in, even though I normally go on Fridays.
  • Missnu13
    Options
    This evening weight attack:

Quads, hamstring, calves, abs. Light weight work tonight.
  • b3achy
    Options

17 October (M): 32 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, abs, legs (2 sets)
    19 October (W): 35 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, legs (3 sets)
    22 October (Sa): 31 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, legs (3 sets)
    Week 3: 3 of 3 days done! Week 3 Goal surpassed :smiley:
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Made it to the gym, even though frankly, I didn't feel like it. Still trying to add in some more machines to my routine. Shoulder feeling better, and want to add in more abs soon - hopefully next week.

22 October (Sa): 31 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, legs (3 sets)
    Week 3: 3 of 3 days done! Week 3 Goal surpassed :smiley:

24 October (M): 38 minutes - strength training at gym - upper body, legs (3 sets) - added some seated dips for an extra exercise.
  • Missnu13
    Options
    Weight attack:

22 Oct 16
    Did back, lats, lower back. Calves

24 Oct 16
    Chest, triceps, lats, calves
  • Jacquitheelder
    Options
    This is very cool! I've been doing weights now 4 days a week, twice a week for 30 minutes with a trainer learning the equipment and variations (it's a big gym). Today will probably be a weight cardio combo as she asked if I'd mind. I told her I was game for whatever she threw at me (2 machines to which I object mostly because I think they're useless are off the table) but that leaves maybe 60. I can finally feel muscles! I'm 61 and osteoporosis runs in the family. We also live for bloody forever so building up bone is very important. And it turns out I'm really enjoying the process! Who knew