Are your bowel movements determined by what you eat the previous day or the day before that etc?

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For me it certainly is the case. When I get constipated, I tend to note that fruits and raw vegetables have been absent too much. When I go back t my normal diet high in fruits (specifically kiwifruit helps), raw vegetables and high fiber foods. I need to combine that with lost of water. 2-3 days later all is normal.
    Foods that are counter productive for me are high fat foods and white breads. Guess for me it is a case of my bowels need to be tickled to work properly :wink:

As for going every day or 24 hours after every meal - well that has not happened to me ever. My standard is once every (very roughly) 36-48 hours. That has been my natural state for as long as I can remember.
    From what I have read, the bowel movement is highly individual and in part determined by psychology. Quite a few people can only go to the toilet when relaxed and safe, for instance when at home.
    Anything between once every 1-3 days can be considered normal, provided you feel good at the status and have a gentle pass.

This is so true. Pre crohn's I was never an every day pooper but now (non flaring) I am 1-5 times a day which is not normal for me. Of course my gi doesn't care but 5 times a day for me is a lot (though when flaring 30+ times is normal)
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Coffee is what makes me poop haha. I eat a LOT of fiber. Before getting into a healthy life style I would poop once every 4 days to a week and now its daily. Major change was fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    Coffee is what makes me poop haha. I eat a LOT of fiber. Before getting into a healthy life style I would poop once every 4 days to a week and now its daily. Major change was fiber.

Yes on the coffee, and definitely on fibre! I have to keep my fibre above 30g at all costs. I had 21g on monday, and zero movement on Tuesday.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this answer as I suffer badly with constipation. I think i am getting a better understand of how my body copes with foods, and it seems to me that I feel clogged and bloated a couple of hoUrs after eating eggs. It then takes me a couple of days to feel back to a comfortable state.

Suffice to say eggs are off the menu for a while. Maybe keep a close check to see if you notice any patterns of how you feel after certain foods
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've always been in awe of those people who poop after every meal, my hubby being one of them.
    Do these people have super efficient digestive systems or what??

It can actually be an issue for some people. For all of us our bowel is fired into action by eating, but mostly everything just moves down a bit to make room, and that doesn't always form a stool. For some people, their bowels are too sensitive to eating and they have to run to the toilet every time. Imagine how annoying it would be if you just wanted a little snack! They can be treated for it though, to calm the response down.
  • laurajcxo
    laurajcxo Posts: 1 Member
    Options

What's FODMAP?

FODMAP is an acronym that stands for:
    Fermentable – meaning they are broken down (fermented) by bacteria in the large bowel
    Oligosaccharides – “oligo” means “few” and “saccharide” means sugar. These molecules made up of individual sugars joined together in a chain
    Disaccharides – “di” means two. This is a double sugar molecule.
    Monosaccharides – “mono” means single. This is a single-sugar molecule.
    And
    Polyols – these are sugar alcohols (however don’t lead to intoxication!)

Details at http://fodmapfriendly.com/what-are-fodmaps/

Cheers![/quote]

I have had to follow this diet, as I suffer from very bad IBS-C and this has helped me identify what foods are triggers for me. It takes you back to very simple eating and then you can reintroduce foods slowly and look for symptoms. I recommend it if you are suffering - but it is hard!

The biggest triggers for me are fruits, especially apples!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Depends on your insides. I.e I got IBS if I react to something it comes straight back out!

Keep a food diary to see what affects your insides.
  • tooru
    tooru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i've had my gallbladder removed and IBS, so what i eat a few minutes before affects mine!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I use to blame my sever IBS on food after my divorce it went away so a lot of it is how you deal with stress. I fixed the stress and can now eat anything I want at anytime.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My guess would be yesterday, but if you want to make sure you could eat a certain way several days in a row and see how your body responds then change it up every few days to a week. I think that would be more accurate than changing it up daily and trying to figure out which day helped. For me, eating like you ate yesterday plus an apple maybe is typical lately and keeps me nice and regular:)
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue but kinda opposite. Like I get the squirts amd don't know why and wonder what if anything is causing it

I was thinking maybe an overabundance of yeast? Because my last bowt I suspect was caused by a really strong beer I had the night before.

But all other times I haven't a clue..

I used to be constipated alot but adding veggies to my diet and drinking water fixed that pretty well, I haven't had an issue with comps in years. The only time Im constipated is Im in an unfamiliar bathroom or its too quiet