You'll never succeed without surgery.

Options
I don't want surgery, I don't think I need it and I don't think its necessary for me to have it. That said, I am constantly seeing that in order to succeed and keep the weight off I have to have surgery, otherwise I'll never achieve my goal weight and even if I do achieve it I am doomed to gain it all back and more.

A gastric bypass surgeon said in an interview "You (the patient) can at most lose 20lb and keep it off successfully by normal means, anything over that you need surgery to keep off" .. what..?

Today I was reading an article about an obese woman and her struggles with dieting in her youth, she later learnt to accept her body and to accept that losing and keeping the weight off was a pipe dream, and there for she just had to learn to love herself the way she is... again,... what?

I fully understand that its quite easy to gain everything back, it is very easy for formally fat people to slip up and the weight gain will be very fast, but to say its impossible seems really strange to me.

For the last 11 months I've been on my weight loss journey by normal means, I've gone from 315lbs to 244lbs, so ive lost roughly 70lbs so far. In those 11 months I've gone on a week vacation twice where I ate a lot of junk like crisps and bbq, alcohol and sugary snacks of all kinds, both those times I did indeed gain weight, but both those times after I went back to my normal eating habits and routines the weight dropped again fairly quickly.

I don't count anymore, I've gotten used to and automatically aware of calorie intake, I do however occationally count on random days to make sure that my instinct isnt off by too much. I lift 3-4 times a week for 30-40min at a time, half that time is stretching after lifting weights with various body parts hehe.

So my question is.. am I really just kidding myself? should I just call it quit and sign up for this surgery? A surgery I swore I would never get.

What are your thoughts? and do you have experience with people telling you you're just setting yourself up to become obese for the second time in your life?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you are doing just fine. People who have WLS still frequently regain the weight and/or have serious complications and problems with nutrition. So personally I would just stick with what you are doing.

Yes sure there is a chance you can regain weight. Many do. They do because they never actually made a permanant change in their eating habits.

Sometimes people give up. Maybe they are not ready, really ready to change. Maybe they never will be. That's them. You do you. :)
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm exceedingly thankful the surgery exists as an option. My cousin had it, but not just due to weight. He had multiple co-morbidities...type 2 diabetes, blood pressure, and more I'm sure I'm unaware of. For him, getting the weight off NOW was imperative.

At my beginning weight, I likely qualified based on bmi alone. While I have no Crystal ball, my path feels like one I can maintain comfortably. It *can be done.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    HECK NO!! You're doing an awesome job! Keep doing what's working and ignore the naysayers!!
  • wookiepants
    wookiepants Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think the surgeon wants your business and that's it. You can do this!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing just fine on your own. Congrats on having come so far!

What I don't understand about the surgeons attitude is, people DO manage to gain weight even after gastric bypass. Surgery isn't the end all be all if one doesn't adhere to the aftercare needed to maintain it. It's no foolproof guarantee either! That's a weird approach he/she took in my opinion.....