Calories and Macros

Options
Hello,

Today I ended up 3 calories below my limit, and way over on all my macros except carbs. On other days I have been way below on calories and still have run out of some macros. I don't get it. How can you run out of all your macros before calories? What do you eat if you have calories left but not macros? Does anyone else have this problem, or am I eating the wrong things?

Also, does your calorie limit decrease as your weight decreases? I'm just thinking that it must take fewer calories to achieve weight loss for a 150 pound body vs. a 200 pound body. Does MFP do that for us, or do we do it ourselves? If you have done this, how often do you reduce your calories, and by how much?

Thanks!

Replies

• jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and started back in May at 148. Goal is around 133-135. Right now I am at 139. This is a good ques as to does the calorie need decrease as I decrease in wt. it seems I am not losing but, have maintained at 139-140 for 2weeks now even though my NET cal is around 1000-1200 per day. Before this I was losing at rate of 1 pound per week on net of 1200 cal. Not sure if MFP does this. Never read anything about it. i am sure if I weighed more-say 170, I could probably lose on 1500 cal per day net.
    As for macros, sounds like you are eating very nutrient dense foods- depending on your cal goal, and that is why you are meeting the daily macro goal MFP set before you run out of cal. I almost always go over on protien but, under in carbs and fat.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue or some real need to track macros, don't worry about them. Stay in your budget and you'll be fine. MFP will lower your calories as you lose weight but you should re evaluate your loss per week goal as you get closer to the finish line. You shouldn't be at the 2 lb/week loss rate when you only have a few pounds to lose.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are goals to reach (or exceed), not limits to stay under. Many people also adjust them to fit their lifestyle better, since the default ratio is pretty high on carbs and low on protein. I aim for at least 100g of protein, but usually get around 110-130.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are goals to reach (or exceed), not limits to stay under. Many people also adjust them to fit their lifestyle better, since the default ratio is pretty high on carbs and low on protein. I aim for at least 100g of protein, but usually get around 110-130.

This!

And, it may help to understand macro and calorie calculations. There is 4 calories for every 1 gram of carbs and protein. There is 9 calories for every 1 gram of fat.

A general guideline is 1g/lb of LBM for protein and .3-.4g/lb of body weight for fat. You can fill the rest in with carbs.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful replies.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This!

And, it may help to understand macro and calorie calculations. There is 4 calories for every 1 gram of carbs and protein. There is 9 calories for every 1 gram of fat.

A general guideline is 1g/lb of LBM for protein and .3-.4g/lb of body weight for fat. You can fill the rest in with carbs.

So, if I am doing IIFYM, then it is okay for me to go over protein and fat?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

This!

So, if I am doing IIFYM, then it is okay for me to go over protein and fat?

In theory, yes! If you allow yourself to have discretionary foods, try to stay in the 15-20% of calories range.