What do you have on garden salads? (low calorie)

Options
2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Like another poster mentioned a little goes a long way with balsamic. I use a thick glaze (I need about .5-1T) and I use olive oil as well since I suck at fats and it helps spread the balsamic around. Also like to add goat cheese and raspberries, onions and toss :)
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make my own sun dried tomatoes and store them in balsamic vinegar rather than oil. So good on a salad. This week I'm also having roasted beets, roasted Brussels sprouts, artichoke hearts, blue cheese and roasted unsalted sesame seeds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip I learned at a Wright Watchers meeting. Have your dressing on the side and dip your fork tongs in to the dressing before picking up a mouthful. You get a taste with every bite with a fraction of the calories.
  • cmo246
    cmo246 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Favorite dressing right now is a spoonful of Dijon mustard mixed with a couple spoonfuls of lemon juice. Super quick to make and around 20 cal.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I've been on a mexican salad kick lately. Romain lettuce, grilled chicken breast, rinsed black beans, corn, red bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, avocado and a few broken up blue corn chips. I squeeze fresh limes over it all for a calorie free dressing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy for Romaine lettuce. If I get a really good, fresh, crunchy sweet bunch, it's one of my favorite foods. (The pre-chopped stuff in packages is never quite as good.) I can munch on that stuff all by itself. It's something I tend to binge on when I get a craving. I'm weird like that. Just a basic vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt, maybe some herbs kind of concoction works for me. <3
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I use extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar.EVOO has more calories but we need healthy oils to keep our hair from falling out,losing muscle tone,etc.I also add protein to all my salads.

Fats also help you absorb some of the key nutrients (like lycopene and beta-carotene) in the vegetables you're eating. A little fat is good for you. :)
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A 2.5 oz pouch of tuna which is 60 calories. With 2 tbsp on balsamic. Another 60 calories. Chopped hard boiled egg whites and just a huge variety of veggies.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    tessemaes dressings and marinades... especially the honey mustard mmmmm.