Bad entries in food data base

Sometimes I run into strange entries in the food database, and I swear someone is playing pranks by adding outrageous, incomplete or duplicate nutritional values. I have found them when entering recipes, and checking the returned ingredients for my list. I wonder if they ever do a review?

Replies

• NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 105 Member
    Not that I can tell.
    I always check single ingredient entries against the USDA database and packaged goods against the label.
    If MFP had a really accurate database in the premium side I might be tempted to join.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    MFP users are the reviewers. If the item isn't verified with a green checkmark, you can edit any erroneous information.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    NealNH wrote: »
    Not that I can tell.
    I always check single ingredient entries against the USDA database and packaged goods against the label.
    If MFP had a really accurate database in the premium side I might be tempted to join.

I second that i would pay good for an accurate database are you listening MFP
  • shotpurple
    shotpurple Posts: 4 Member
    I posted years ago to suggest that the measurements be standardised (how do I know what '1 bowl' or 'a handful' or 'a serving' equates to). There is a lot of rubbish on the database, partly because a lot of people don't seem to understand that a serving isn't necessarily the same as 100g etc), and I don't think the green tick is reliable - I've found a few things that don't seem accurate. No response, alas.

If MFP was to create a premium version which included a reviewed and accurate database with standardised measures (1 cup, 100g, 1 tbsp, etc, rather than 'half a packet' and the other rubbish you get), I'd definitely want to join. Until then, I check it all against the packet and/or reliable databases.

Maybe information for the database should be approved by 5 other users before being made publicly available, or something.