Please help!!

Options
I can't seem to figure out how to keep my strawberries and other fruits good for the week. They get soggy and seem to just not do well.

How do you keep your fruits and veggies in the fridge so they don't go bad ?

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will freeze vegetables but I just make sure to eat the fruits.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I cut up my strawberries and raspberries so I can eat them through the week. They just seem to always make it like 1-2 days before getting soggy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some fresh fruits are more perishable than others. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1153
    Fresh strawberries and bananas have a short shelf life. Blueberries, apples, oranges, or grapefruit would last longer.
    You could freeze freeze, buy frozen fruit or canned fruit.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1103
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    For things like berries that go bad quickly, try a vinegar bath.

I do 1/4 cup or so of vinegar diluted with 2 cups of water. Dump the berries in and roll around a bit. Then, remove and rinse thoroughly.

I let them sit on towels to dry for several hours, then they go back into their containers with a paper towel liner. I can usually get 4-5 days out of them this way.

~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Try not pre cutting them.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I do 1/4 cup or so of vinegar diluted with 2 cups of water. Dump the berries in and roll around a bit. Then, remove and rinse thoroughly.

I let them sit on towels to dry for several hours, then they go back into their containers with a paper towel liner. I can usually get 4-5 days out of them this way.

~Lyssa

Thank you!! I'll try that.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Thank you!! I'll try that.

I don't pre-cut my fruit, either, other than to take the stems off the tops of strawberries.

Hopefully the vinegar helps :)

~Lyssa
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Try not pre cutting them.
    And not washing until right before you eat them.