Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Metabolism "healing" or going back to "normal"

Options
Travis_GM
Travis_GM Posts: 141 Member
Hello all!

I was wondering what the science says about how long it takes for your metabolism to go back to "normal" levels after dieting but now eating maintenance calories? I know McDonald claims something like 7-14 days, anyone have any other claims??

Oh, and PLEASE back up your reasoning. I'm not exactly interested in gut-feelings or anecdotal experiences. Thank you!!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Could you please post the McDonald claim ref.

Cheers, h.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Post the link cause I found something different in following some of Lyles' work.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

Now where the 7 - 14 days you are referring to may be in a different article.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Where is your research that it takes 7-14 days? This McDonald reference you make--where is the article? Are you talking about McDonalds fast food? Or is this a person named McDonald? Or are you just going by your gut-feelings or anecdotal experiences?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    YOLOboi19 wrote: »
    Oh, and PLEASE back up your reasoning. I'm not exactly interested in gut-feelings or anecdotal experiences. Thank you!!

You really can't debate when all you are offering is your anecdote or gut-feeling interpretation of an unknown article. :)

Add in the fact that there are loads of variables and how is the baseline even measured.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm working from memory here but I've seen Lyle McDonald talk about leptin levels requiring >2 at maintenance days to return to normal and I've seen him mention metabolism slow down from dieting be rectified after several days at maintenance. But I can't remember seeing a specific 7-14 day claim.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    nchrty wrote: »
    Where is your research that it takes 7-14 days? This McDonald reference you make--where is the article? Are you talking about McDonalds fast food? Or is this a person named McDonald? Or are you just going by your gut-feelings or anecdotal experiences?

OP means Lyle McDonald : http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    YOLOboi19 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I was wondering what the science says about how long it takes for your metabolism to go back to "normal" levels after dieting but now eating maintenance calories? I know McDonald claims something like 7-14 days, anyone have any other claims??

please back up your reasoning...
  • Travis_GM
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First off, I've done loads of research. Please don't assume that I haven't. If you want to see my reasoning, just ask like the other members have. This isn't for a school paper or some other thing I have to write but am too lazy to do the research myself
    Secondly, the article I was referencing is: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/. He mentions in there how it may take up to 7 days for thyroid levels to go back to normal. He also mentions the 10-14 (not 7, typo in original post) day diet break for everything to normalize that I mentioned.

Third, I'm talking of Lyle McDonald.
    And no, what I mentioned in my question is not anecdotal, I read it through Lyle's website linked early from another member on here and the link I posted here
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It depends entirely what you mean by "normal" as well as what you mean by "abnormal". The fact in your n=1 case may be your metabolism was never abnormal in the first place.
  • Travis_GM
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Holy crap. That site is fascinating. *especially* in comparison to the stuff I'm doing at work right now. Gothchiq must not procrastinate from work by reading recomp articles. Gothchiq must save fitness reading for after work. unggggh.

Yeah I found out about Lyle McDonald through a different post on here and have been hooked ever since. The guy is a fitness genius of sorts.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would think it would vary depending on how long you were eating low calories, your activity level etc etc but 7 - 14 days sounds too short to me. I know some people spend years
  • Travis_GM
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure science says your metabolism doesn't change when you are dieting. You become smaller so you require fewer calories but the only way that goes "back to normal" is if you put the weight back on.

Well if you read the article I linked above to Lyle McDonald's website, the science that he's read has supported the idea that your metabolism does indeed slow down as you diet.
  • ichiban1205
    ichiban1205 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Post the link cause I found something different in following some of Lyles' work.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

Thanks for sharing! This is eye opening. I can now understand why some coaches say not to focus on counting calories, but to focus on eating healthy foods, and a couple of cheat meals. But TBH, it is so hard to change that mindset when all you've know for the longest time is to cut calories in order to lose weight. So then what is the answer? How can I lose weight if low calorie diets are out of the equation and according to the article too much cardio does not help either? Strength training? And so, if I eat "healthy foods" then is ok not to count calories?... hmm, now I'm realizing this is out of topic, sorry! but anyway please guide me in the best direction that you can :)
  • Travis_GM
    Options

Thanks for sharing! This is eye opening. I can now understand why some coaches say not to focus on counting calories, but to focus on eating healthy foods, and a couple of cheat meals. But TBH, it is so hard to change that mindset when all you've know for the longest time is to cut calories in order to lose weight. So then what is the answer? How can I lose weight if low calorie diets are out of the equation and according to the article too much cardio does not help either? Strength training? And so, if I eat "healthy foods" then is ok not to count calories?... hmm, now I'm realizing this is out of topic, sorry! but anyway please guide me in the best direction that you can :)

Why are low calorie diets out of the question? That's the best way to lose weight. McDonald suggests a high protein diet (at least 1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight), then as low as you can go with carbs and fat with a good weight training program. Follow all of that and voila! You'll lose weight
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Now read this article by the same author (Lyle McDonald): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/