Recipe ideas needed.

I am pre-diabetic with allergies to Peppers, Onions, and Pineapple. (I know...weird, right?) Every weight-loss recipe I see has one or more of those in it. Help?

Replies

• lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Just take those out. For pineapple, put in another fruit that looks like it would work well in that recipe. For peppers, use another vegetable. For onion, well, there's no replacing the taste of that. Can you have leeks?

I have a lot of food allergies and hack recipes all the time. I'd be happy to help you with specific recipes if you'd like. Feel free to send me a message.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I would straight across exchange tomatoes or another vegetable for the peppers.

How about garlic instead of onion?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Diabetic eating is regular eating with careful portions. Likely more vegetables than you are used to, and fewer starchy carbs. MFP can help you add up the calories and keep you in a deficit.

With trial and error I found one pizza slice with a salad on the side, rather than say, three or four slices was about ideal.

You would pick something other than Hawaiian of course.
  • bad_dog_ny
    bad_dog_ny Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2016
    I have had a horrible time controlling my sugar until recently. I eat very few carbs, and all low g-load. One of my favorite recipes is "faux" fried rice. Just grate cauliflower...yes, cauliflower. Hand grate or use a food processor. I usually cube up some chicken, and start to grill it to cook, then I add a diced carrot, and whatever you want. Don't fear oil, but don't go nuts. (Speaking of nuts, you can even add some peanuts, especially good if you use some hotter spices.) Add lots of chopped fresh ginger to taste and garlic, oil carries the flavor of the spices. I also add some red pepper flakes. At the end add a head (or a half head) of grated cauliflower and keep tossing to cook. Add soy sauce (1/4-1/2 cup) to taste and whatever else you like. Some times I make a hole in the middle to pan bottom and pool a couple scrambled eggs, then chop them up and mix in once firm. Really, add whatever you like, the cauliflower carries the flavor so well, and has an amazingly rice like taste and texture. Very low carb, lower calorie, and keeps you feeling full much longer than rice, which metabolizes really quickly. This digests much slower and satisfies much longer. Leave the protein out and use as the "rice" to serve with a veggie/protein stir fry. It's quicker and easier than it sounds. Grating the cauliflower is not difficult, super easy with a cheap food processor. I got a $30 black and decker and use the grating disc. Takes 1 min. To grate the whole head, 2 min to clean the entire machine. And I use it to assist with carrot and celery. Just turn the disc over to slice.