Can you lose to fast

Options
Can you lose weight too fast I've lost 40 pounds in roughly 35 days. I'm not really on a crash diet I eat anywhere from 1500 to 2500 calories everyday most days around 1800 average. I'm not hungry and I'm doing a little exercise here and there I am disabled so I can't do a lot. I am 6-4 I started at 370 pounds my weight this morning was 330.4 pounds. My goal weight is going to be 220. My doctor wanted 200 but I've never weighed that lower my adult life and dice weigh 220 when I came out of basic training.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You can lose too fast but I think you are OK for now.

When you start a new eating deficit, it's common to lose water weight quickly. Your calorie intake is plenty high enough to fit in your nutritional requirements. You started at 370 pounds and larger people can lose more weight per week safely.

Your weight loss rate should slow down before too much longer. Just be sure you continue to eat at least 1500 calories.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    That is pretty fast but having a large amount of body fat allows you to do that. As your amount of body fat drops so will your body's ability to metabolize that fat and your calorie deficit will need to be reduced and your rate of weight loss will slow. On July 12th I weighed 320 pounds. Today, I weighed 259. I have actually been suprised with how linear the loss has been but lately I have noticed it is harder to recover after a workout and started noticing the smell of ammonia after being on the treadmill a while so I have added some calories back into my diet. I know the rate of loss will continue to slow but as long as I am building muscle and dropping fat, I am happy.

The little bit of advice I would give while on a big deficit is to be careful of losing muscle mass. If you aren't already, incorporate some weight lifting into your workout and keep your protein up.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    Options
    Your implied TDEE based on a loss of approximately 1lb per day for the past month is a bit over 5000 Cal a day given an intake of about 1800.

This is actually quite possible at your weight and size assuming you're quite active as opposed to sedentary. And certainly your weight loss experience to date argues that this is the case.

You have to balance the following:

--risks by remaining an extra day in the morbidly obese range
    --risks by losing too fast (risk of kidney stones, excess lean mass lost)
    --lack of opportunity to structure your eating and exercise for the long term (practice effect during a multi-year weight loss effort)

against the great feeling of getting leaner faster.

If your TDEE is over 5000 Cal a day, a recommendation for an obese person would be to reduce it by 25%, which would have you eating 3500 to 4000 Calories a day and losing at a rate of a bit over 2lbs a week... which is a fraction of your current speed of loss.

When you enter the lower levels of obese/overweight range, the suggestion would be to reduce your deficit to 20%... then to 15% or so when you are approaching the lower levels of the overweight range.

It is inevitable that you will lose SOME lean mass as you start weighting less... when you're 200lbs your calfs won't have to support your current weight and they will grow smaller as a simple example. But, by consuming a significant amount of protein (in the low 200g range) you will help preserve your lean mass. Lifting weights/a progressive resistance program will also help you achieve the same.

As you grow lighter your calories will drop.

I would urge you to discover what your expected maintenance calories will be when you're at your target weight assuming a base level of activity (hint: I suspect at least 2700).

I would urge you to try and lose the majority of your weight while eating around that level of food.

And instead of treating the next couple of years as a diet, to treat them as a fact finding mission as to exactly how you will continue to eat for the rest of your life.

Keep up the good work!
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ty you all