Females Using Protein Powder to Lose Weight!

Options
I just tried again to start losing weight and think that I may want to use protein powder but have no idea how to start. I have never used it before and know next to nothing about it. If anyone can explain to me effective ways to use it to help lose weight and recommend products to try that would be wonderful!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Protein powder is not really for weight loss. A calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. Protein powder is to help you meet your protein goals if you have trouble otherwise doing so.

This
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While the calorie difference is true, protein is crucial for health and higher protein diet can lead to weight loss and health benefits. Especially consuming protein and fiber earlier in the day can keep you feeling fuller and curb your appetite.
    I would recommend meal replacement of 1 protein drink per day, since they are nutrient dense. I recommend Orgain vegan protein powder, or light muscle milk, with lower saturated fats. Good luck to you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Protein powder is not really for weight loss. A calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. Protein powder is to help you meet your protein goals if you have trouble otherwise doing so.

This

+1
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use the Kaizen chocolate protein that is from Costco, it blends nice and tastes good. I have never been very good at eating a solid breakfast, so having a shake for breakfast means I never miss it. Sometimes if I feel like it I have some fruit with it (not in it, although I hear blending it up with a banana in it is great!).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I occasionally add Fitmiss protein powder to smoothies. It's 90 calories per serving, which is reasonable, and pretty nice with bananas and almond milk. It doesn't have anything magical about it that causes weight loss - no protein powder does. I just like the flavor of this one.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would recommend meal replacement of 1 protein drink per day, since they are nutrient dense.

Ugh. I prefer to eat my calories.

I do use protein powder to boost my protein intake though - which can help with satiation and therefore help you stick to your calorie goal. I would usually have one glass of milk a day. Now, I mix in a scoop (~16 g) of Lean Whey protein powder which makes it taste like chocolate milk and only adds about 60 calories.

Protein powder won't make you lose weight though. Eating fewer calories than you burn will.
  • SaraJC2016
    SaraJC2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies. I worded my original post wrong, as I do know that it does not magically make you lose weight or anything like that. I more meant that yes, I do not get enough protein and I heard that it is good for curbing appetite and for after workouts. Thanks for the responses!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I started taking a ittle protein powder after seeing the effects on my husband--aged 60. He goes to the fitness center everyday and does various things. He doesn't eat meat (since he was a child), and I was beginning to get worried about his protein intake and encouraged him to start with protein powder. After less than a year, he looks great. He's always been thin, but has gotten muscle and it's just amazing. I don't like the taste much, but decided to try 15g vanilla flavored in my coffee morning and afternoon with a little pumkin spice. I've only been doing it a couple of weeks, but it helps so much to curb hunger. If I have anywhere near his results, I'll be estatic.
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Exactly this. I use plant based Vega protein powder since whey destroys my stomach.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Especially consuming protein and fiber earlier in the day can keep you feeling fuller and curb your appetite .

Agreed!
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein powder. 100% of the protein is from Whey and only 4 grams of sugar per serving. I buy it on Amazon, and get the Natural Vanilla flavor. No added flavors or sugar. I usually have 1 scoop in a shake with some almond milk in the morning before breakfast and 1 scoop after I work out. I aim for 40% of my daily calories to come from protein and the protein powder helps reach that goal. The shakes also help keep me full later, and also help my muscles recover faster when I lift weights.

This is pretty much exactly what I do, except I'm 35% daily protein - it's probably 4g of carbs per serving (not all of that is sugar). I favour Reflex Nutrition Instant Whey PRO, vanilla ice cream flavour, really nice with almond milk and quite horrible with water. Makes hitting the protein macro so much easier.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Actually, whey is pretty good stuff and can certainly aid in weight loss even though that is not it's specific purpose. I use it to make pancakes and mix it with greek yogurt to make pudding. I also use it post workout and sometimes have an extra shake if I am low on calories for the day. My wife has recently started having a smoothie for breakfast made with vanilla whey and fresh fruit. Not only is it healthier than much of the crap many people eat for breakfast but she finds it keeps her fuller longer and she has more energy.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder and find that when I add extra protein to my meals it curbs my hunger.