Turkey bacon

So the nutrition for butterball low sodium turkey bacon is 1 slice of bacon is 25 calories. Simple enough. Not really. A serving is 14 gm. Why when I weigh this, I get 2.5 slices of turkey bacon is 14 gm? Which do I go with? One slice=25 calories or the 14 gm of 2.5 slices of turkey bacon?

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,196 Member
    Always by weight instead of by "slice/bun/patty/etc". And also make sure to see if the weight is listed as raw or cooked.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Do you want 1 piece or 2.5 pieces?

The servings on the package are suggested servings based on 2000 calorie diet and you can be assured that in 100% of the food you buy it will almost will never "weigh" out in exact pieces on the label.

So if you want to eat the recommended 14 gr of turkey bacon and that is 2.5 pieces weighed out, then eat that. But if you only want 1 piece and that weighs for example 6 grams you can eat that.

Weigh out what you want to eat. Do not over think it. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I go with weight.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will go with weight. It's so frustrating and makes me realize all the more the importance of weighing all foods.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Always by weight instead of by "slice/bun/patty/etc". And also make sure to see if the weight is listed as raw or cooked.

This, the weight on the package is uncooked. If you are weighing it cooked, it will be way off.
  • Wynterbourne
    Chadxx wrote: »

This, the weight on the package is uncooked. If you are weighing it cooked, it will be way off.

In this case, yes, the weight on the package is for uncooked (I Googled it), but that isn't always the case. Which is why I said to always double check. The package this label came off of contains raw meat, but the nutrition label is for cooked.

vef2wnqvc4mj.jpg
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I probably should have mentioned that I buy the exact same bacon and was already familiar with the label.

I completely agree with checking labels carefully.
  • Wynterbourne
    Chadxx wrote: »
    I probably should have mentioned that I buy the exact same bacon and was already familiar with the label.

I completely agree with checking labels carefully.

Roger that. :smile: