Am I the only one who can’t stick with LCHF? – anyone else tried but couldn’t do it?

Options
Everywhere I read, people seem to find LCHF so easy and have great success with it.

I’ve been LCHF for about 3 weeks and I’m very close to calling it quits. I’ve tried it a couple of times before, and can’t stick to it for very long.

Despite varying the food I eat, menus and recipes, I’m getting sick of the food. I miss the foods I used to eat, and I’m finding it hard socially and around family –choosing the options that are low carb, but not the ones that are really satisfying me.

Although wanting to lose some weight, the main reason I’m doing this is to get a handle on my tendency to binge on carbs/sugar. I’m not feeling full like everyone seems to experience and find myself overeating fatty foods. Or nuts.

I’m trying to keep a handle on my calories as well – I’m eating over what I should be eating, and not surprisingly have not lost weight.

I have been pretty strict low carb, and know there’s the adjustment period, but have really hit a ‘do I really want to do this’ moment today.

Would love to hear of anyone else who’s gone through a similar thing – did you push through and start enjoying it, or did you give up and feel better for it?

In the past I’ve mostly been a ‘everything in moderation’ and found calorie reduction works best for me – the problem is that I’ve started to find that hard to stick to without binging.

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Everyone experiences different ways of eating in a different way. It seems that maybe LCHF just isn't for you, just like I wouldn't enjoy it (I have to have some sort of starch with my meals to feel satisfied, whether it's bread, pasta, or rice) and so it definitely isn't for me. Some people do enjoy it and find it easy and sustainable, and that's great for them--it doesn't mean it will feel the same for everyone. There's nothing wrong with that, just keep trying different things until you find something that works well for you personally! :)
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could try a more moderate approach? I've never felt the need to go (extremely) low carb but I do prioritize protein and fat over carbs and end up with a pretty even 3 way split of percentages most of the time. This has worked for me mostly by limiting simple carbs because they tend to bring out my hunger monster. I've never been a "binger" per se but I do have a tendency to excessively overeat emotionally. You could try a more moderate approach and prioritize whole, complex (slow digesting) carbs and see if that is a more sustainable program for you. People don't fit in perfect little boxes. Experiment a little with what makes YOU feel your best. I will say that on my moderate carb diet I don't miss the simple stuff and when I eat it I get massive sugar highs and lows that make me feel ill. That doesn't mean I never eat it (I just usually regret it.) Good luck to you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You are not the only one. People experience different diets differently. For me, a LCHF diet actually made me hungry, and I mean that ravenous kind of hunger where no matter how much you eat you aren't satisfied. Tried it a few times with the same results. And with other negative side effects, I just decided this diet was not for me. I remember the first time I had oatmeal after being on a low carb diet for a while, it was like a huge physical and mental burden was lifted and I felt satisfied for the first time in a long time after a month of thinking about nothing but oatmeal. It wasn't all a bad experience, though. I've learned a few things about myself and that I really do need starches to feel satiated.

It's okay for different people to thrive on different diets. Just go back to what feels easier and more sustainable to you. If your old ways aren't working anymore, explore some other tricks and see how you react to them keeping what works and tossing what doesn't. For me, intermittent fasting did the trick. The reason you hear people talk about it is because it worked for them. People tend to get excited about what works for them, but rarely talk about what doesn't.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I didn't know Low Carb High Fat was a thing (had to look it up). I once successfully did a modified Atkins approach for about 8 months and lost weight but eventually had to give it up b/c back then I really craved pasta. That was back in 03/04 so a long time ago. Fast Forward to 2013 and I was told to sign up for MFP, record what I eat and I lost almost 20 lbs in 4 months, and have kept it off for another 3 years. I eat what I want, try to stop before I go off the rails (other than a few days per month on average) and exercise 5-6 times per week. I haven't eaten fast food in a long time, but otherwise eat what I want. Sometimes simpler is just a better way to go.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I need a more a more balanced approach. I tried low carb 2-3 times but always had the same problems with it. I had very low energy for my workouts, I missed all my fruit and other carby goodness like pasta, chocolate, onion rye bread, etc., I always developed "bathroom" issues
    and worse of all, I ended up nauseous over all the fat I over consumed.
    Just not for me.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I did keto for 6 months without cheating a single time, and then I ate a regular meal (Christmas dinner). I was never able to go back on it afterwards, and ended up binge eating my way to regain most of what I had lost.

LCHF is definitely not for me. I'm losing at the same rate by eating whatever I like and just staying under my calorie limit. I don't binge on sweets or carbs anymore because I fit them in my calories every day.

If you don't enjoy LCHF, try something else. It won't make you lose any faster than any other way of eating (barring a medical condition that requires low carb).
  • jayres73
    jayres73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was so pleased to read these posts! I thought it was just me. I too ended up eating far too many nuts when i cut out most of my carbs because it was the only thing that seemed to help. I didn't gain or lose weight but I was always hungry or thinking about food. I need a new approach but whatever approach I take next I need to journal what I eat, otherwise I have very convenient memory lapses about what I've eaten! I'm a pretty honest person by nature but it doesn't stop me lying to myself it seems......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    People who are successful with LC often think the diet sounds enjoyable and that's part of why they try it. I think it sounds unpleasant (just not how I like the eat -- the idea of worrying about whether fruits or veg are too carby so avoiding some drives me mad, and not being able to eat all the potatoes and root veg I got from my CSA, or corn in the summer, is depressing to me), so that's a sign it's not for me, and I haven't tried it. Not every diet is right for every person.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    imtriagain wrote: »
    Everywhere I read, people seem to find LCHF so easy and have great success with it.

I’ve been LCHF for about 3 weeks and I’m very close to calling it quits. I’ve tried it a couple of times before, and can’t stick to it for very long.

Despite varying the food I eat, menus and recipes, I’m getting sick of the food. I miss the foods I used to eat, and I’m finding it hard socially and around family –choosing the options that are low carb, but not the ones that are really satisfying me.

Although wanting to lose some weight, the main reason I’m doing this is to get a handle on my tendency to binge on carbs/sugar. I’m not feeling full like everyone seems to experience and find myself overeating fatty foods. Or nuts.

I’m trying to keep a handle on my calories as well – I’m eating over what I should be eating, and not surprisingly have not lost weight.

I have been pretty strict low carb, and know there’s the adjustment period, but have really hit a ‘do I really want to do this’ moment today.

Would love to hear of anyone else who’s gone through a similar thing – did you push through and start enjoying it, or did you give up and feel better for it?

In the past I’ve mostly been a ‘everything in moderation’ and found calorie reduction works best for me – the problem is that I’ve started to find that hard to stick to without binging.

IF you don't want to do this..then don't do it. That is my advice. IF you make this something hard, and something unpleasant, you'll quit, or not stick with it.

Keep it simple. Until you make up your MIND, and take control, whatever you try, will not stick.

If calorie reduction works best for you..then get mentally tough and do it.

Everything is "hard"..I haven't got any better advice than it all starts upstairs with your mind. There is no magic "this will work." I wish you success.

yfgozqkkbjm6.jpg

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    No reason you can't choose carb cycling. Low carb days alternating with moderate or high carb days.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I got nice results from LCHF but love root veggies like potatoes and starches like lentils, peas, and lima beans (etc). I tried keto for about a month but it was too strict.

The good thing is that going temporarily super low carb healed my carb "addiction/cravings" so that I can now enjoy a serving at dinner without the horrible fake hunger feeling that I had to have more soon after even though I had just eaten. I used to white knuckle the sensation until I got through it. Often the craving would last up to an hour. Now I don't get that anymore, and I credit keto for resetting something internally. Plus I lost the puffiness in my face and belly and have lost inches. I can wear body concious clothing instead of over sized tunics to cover belly bulge and muffin top that I used to have. Yaay they are gone.

I currently eat very low carb for lunch and a 30/40/30 dinner. I don't have cravings with this balance like I did when i was eating 50/30/20. So I did learn some things through the process. I will never go high carb again and stay away from sugar and flour products except for now and then. I don't seem to have the reaction that I used to but just don't feel "well" after I eat them.

I am Intermittant Fasting from 7pm to 11 am, having a low carb lunch, and then I balance macros at dinner with starches that are low glycemic. I feel the best that I have in years!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Imho, life without bread, pasta, and potatoes is not worth living. The good thing that came out of trying though, is that I am now satisfied with far less of these things. They're no longer the base of my meal, but a small side. :)
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When you say low carb, how much are you doing a day? 5 grams? 100 grams?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a health condition calling for this, don't do it if it doesn't work for you. Not only do you need to find a way to eat that is sustainable to lose, but maintain as well. I keep my portions and calories in check. It's naturally low-carb and low sugar just because everything is in check, anyway. Find what works for you.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    When you say low carb, how much are you doing a day? 5 grams? 100 grams?

I'm curious as to what OP considers "low carb" also.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As others said, unless you have a health need for LCHF, you don't need to do it. Not everyone sees health benefits from it. For those, it's just another diet.

For me? I need to eat LCHF. My health depends upon it. There is no question for me about quitting. Because I feel better eating LCHF, I continue to do so. I do slip on occassion but it's small, or I feel ill and need to stop anyways. LOL

It works with my personality well too. When I was trying to moderate, and have just a bit of my treat foods, I failed. It led to eating more and more. I'm not sure if it was binges but it was way too much. I do better avoiding those treat high carb/high added sugar foods (like jujubes, jelly bellies, pop and desserts). None is better than some for me.

I don't find it taxing or socially awkward though. I'm not sure how it could be. I eat meat and veggies - that's what most people serve for dinners. Appetizers like nuts, meats, cheeses, and veggie platters work well for me. I skip bags of chips and limit myself at the fruit platter. It seems easy to me.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The glorious thing about LCHF when I did it was the absence of hunger. If that does not happen for you and you are overeating and miserable, I can't see why you would continue.

It might be time to look at other possible reasons for your binging.

--Are you trying to maintain a very low weight? This can cause a host of hormonal pressures to regain.
    --Are you trying to cut back on calories too much (how much is your daily deficit)?
    --Are your macros AND micros in check? Enough protein, fat, and fiber, enough bulky vegetable carbs vs. all grain, and balanced micros. MFP has very poor tracking for micros and I just "assumed" that if I was eating healthy micros would be covered, it wasn't really true when I found a way to better track nutrition and I had to add some additional foods into my rotation.
    --Is the binging related to other issues (stress, lack of sleep, trauma of some kind)? Some people find counseling helpful in dealing with emotional issues and/or develop better coping strategies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb since March. I haven't seen the reduced appetite that some others have. But after tracking CICO since Jan. 2014 and failing to lose as expected and struggling for results, I found that a low carb WOE FINALLY matches CICO expectations to actual weight loss results.

Yes, I miss the delicious carb-heavy foods ranging from donuts to pizza to melons. I have occasional cheat days where I enjoy eating those foods, though I don't feel as great afterwards because I'm fat adapted and my body is no longer ready to handle heavy carbs. But yes, I miss those foods and I will allow myself to eat them on occasion because they are delicious. In fact, I'm thinking about another cheat day a month or so from now... maybe do it on Thanksgiving, perhaps.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If LCHF does not work for you for weight loss there are thousands/millions of other options.
    I lost my weight via 40c/30/30
    I maintained for a couple of years via 40c/30/30 and
    I continue to maintain now (6 months) via a ketogenic diet (5c/20p/75f) for a neurological movement disorder. It is working to minimize the involuntary movements of my Spasmodic Torticollis aka Cervical Dystonia.

I have experienced the side benefit of satiation so weight maintenance is easier for me on keto. Keto has helped me identify the bad habit I had of eating for the sake of eating versus eating to satisfy hunger.

As @nvmomketo mentioned, I too find social functions easy. Meat/cheese/vegetables are staples on most menus/appetizer spreads.

Find a way of eating that works for you for weight loss and one that you are able to maintain throughout your life. It's OK that LCHF does not work for you. We're all individuals.