Apple cider vinegar

Options
What makes apple cider vinegar so good for you?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Holistic doctors and health care practitioners swear by it. Putting tablespoon in a glass of water and drinking it makes your system more alkaline not acid. To some, an acidic digestive system promotes disease and sluggish metabolism. I personally drink alkaline water a few times a day..and also drink ACV when I can't get my water.

You can read about this on the net.. I suggest you google Dr. Axe Apple Cider Vinegar and read that. There are a host of other things it does too. Like it kills foot fungus.. and if you soak you feet in it.. all your callouses come right off.. It balances the PH of skin.. the list goes on and on. Just google.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Holistic doctors and health care practitioners swear by it. Putting tablespoon in a glass of water and drinking it makes your system more alkaline not acid. To some, an acidic digestive system promotes disease and sluggish metabolism. I personally drink alkaline water a few times a day..and also drink ACV when I can't get my water.

You can read about this on the net.. I suggest you google Dr. Axe Apple Cider Vinegar and read that. There are a host of other things it does too. Like it kills foot fungus.. and if you soak you feet in it.. all your callouses come right off.. It balances the PH of skin.. the list goes on and on. Just google.

No to the bolded.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Vinegars and wines will help lower the rate of gluconeogenesis a bit so it can help those with insulin resistance, who experience the dawn phenomenon (high fasting blood glucose) to lower their morning BG by a small amount.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use a diluted solution of acv and water to wash my hair out. Otherwise I mainly just use it in cooking (but not really with any health thing in mind).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's little research confirming the health claims. Most of the current hype about cider vinegar's benefits go back to a Vermont physician in 1958 named D.C. Jarvis. It's been used as a folk remedy since at least ancient Greece but it's not going to cure what ails you. It MAY lower cholesterol while it also MAY erode your tooth enamel. It won't cure your arthritis or gout and it won't change your body's pH. Don't believe the hype. Science!

If you are looking for a healthy use for all that ACV you've got, a splash of apple cider vinegar and a dollop of molasses make sauteed red cabbage da bomb!
  • elphie754
    Options
    BAHRJE6576 wrote: »

I don't know but it definitely works on mosquito bites

Witch hazel I have found works better.
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    BAHRJE6576 wrote: »

I don't know but it definitely works on mosquito bites

Witch hazel I have found works better.

well fine! show me up lol
    Lol not trying to! I've just found witch hazel works so much better for bug bites, poison ivy, and other itchy skin issuesz
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It tastes really bad and doesn't hurt you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are some nutritional benefits that come with raw cider vinegar...if it's been pasteurized than so have those benefits...mostly we're talking probiotics here...it also has some benefit in lowering blood glucose if you're insulin resistant...but so does red wine.

Personally, I use the stuff frequently for cooking and I will take it with water at times...anecdotally I've found it to be beneficial for cramping and my relatively frequent charlie horses I get in my calves.

But most of what you here is simply hype...and most people also aren't considering that it has to be the raw, unfiltered stuff anyway.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You can't change the acidity of your body. That part is bull pickles.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That said, Cider vinegar makes great salad dressings and salad dressings make salad taste awesome and then you can eat more salad.

I remember reading on an old "natural parenting" board and all these people were using all these different foods medicinally rather than treating them like food. And people were posting "Oh, well coconut oil is SO good for you, I take a spoonful every morning. And cider vinegar is SO beneficial, I take a spoonful every evening..."

And I'm thinking, "For lands' sakes, woman! Mix the oil and vinegar together and just eat it! It's food. Enjoy it! As part of your meals."
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I like it as an ingredient in my barbecue sauce. That makes it pretty damn good to me!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »

I'll just leave this here:

fnhas17q79u8.jpg

^^THIS.