Can medication keep you from losing weight?

Options
I have been doing all of the right things for the past month and have not seen any changes whatsoever. I've been eating clean (plenty of protein, healthy fats, healthy carbs) and working out at least 5 times a week. (Mix of cardio and weight training) I feel a lot lighter however my clothes fit the same and the scale has not budged. The only thing that bother me is that I started on Effexor around the same time I started all of this. Could that be keeping me from losing weight? Am I going about this all wrong?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No, while medication can effect you appetite, they do not directly cause weight gain.

You mention nothing about calories. Weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging your food? Are you keeping a deficit? The medicine won't make you gain weight. I was on a medicine that had weight gain as a side effect. The side effect is increase hunger, not weight gain on it's own. I gained 80 lbs on this drug. I was hungry all the time, but that was my fault.
    Don't let the "side effect" take over. Weigh and log your food all the time. Keep working out. You will see results. It may take a while, but you will see them.
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I understand what you guys mean by the medicine increasing your appetite! Honestly I haven't really noticed a difference. As far as my calories go I usually take in around 1200 a day. I'm 4ft 11in btw
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Unless your medication is actual cakes, that is not it.

Seriously though, weigh your food and check your sodium intake (retains water).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Some medications can also affect water retention which can mask weight loss. This should balance out though once your body adjusts
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If your medication causes water retention that could be masking loss. If that is the case, you should lose enough to actually see it if you stick with your plan.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Metabolic
    Common (1% to 10%): Increased serum cholesterol , weight loss, decreased appetite, anorexia
    Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hyponatremia, weight gain, increased alkaline phosphatase, dehydration, hyperglycemia, hyperlipemia, hypokalemia.

Water retention does not appear to be a side effect either.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There are a few medications that can cause weight gain, but I don't believe there are medications that can keep you from losing weight. Effexor is actually associated with weight loss (children & adolescents 18% to 47%; adults 2% to 7%), which might be due to the fact that the drug can also cause nausea with a 21% to 35% incidence (nausea can cause you to eat less).
    Also, I haven't found water retention as being one of the side effects of Effexor.
    I pose you a question. Do you feel tired? I only ask because Effexor can commonly cause CNS effects like headache, drowsiness, insomnia, and dizziness, so maybe you're not pushing yourself enough because of certain symptoms?
    You can look up this information on the drug's package insert. Here is a link: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/020699s059lbl.pdf
    I do not think that the medication is causing any sort of weight problems for you.
    Like the other posters above me mentioned, I feel like you should check your foods more closely and make sure you run a deficit in calories.
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been on a number of medications that have weight gain as a s/e. I've been discouraged by that and given up on dieting. I don't think that these types of meds cause water retention, just the potential for an increase in appetite.

I have lost 25 lbs in 2 months with the mindset that "I will" lose pounds in spite of the adverse effects. I definitely eat foods that are high in lean protein which have kept me full longer and have avoided that "hungry" feeling. Just be sure that you are eating the right amnts of calories as calculated by MFP and that you take the time to record. You will get those pounds off! I have been successful so far when I didn't think it was a possibility. Good luck!

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It sure can make it a hell of a lot harder to lose! This has been one of my biggest frustrations since starting Tamoxifen. I'm doing it, but I have to work out harder and eat less than I EVER have before, and it's a lot slower going now. Don't give up. Just accept your new reality and figure out what you have to do to meet your goals within that reality.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DW has lost 57 pounds while taking meds that "cause weight gain". Don't believe every side effect that is published.