Can 10 lbs really be water??

Options
2»

Replies

• ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi, can you check what the side effects of your migraine meds if you took any? I know ibuprofin can cause bloating if I take it consistently. I have heard of others getting bloated from it too.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    It takes me about three days to lose water weight - that's three days of chugging water, so it may take longer if you're not getting in your usual amount.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    My old bathroom scale was terribly inconsistent. I notice a big change from one day to the next, so I tried weighing myself several times in a row; I got different numbers each time. So in addition to water and digestive tract content differences, you might have an inconsistent scale.

I switched to an EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale based on the Amazon reviews, and have been happy with the results -- it's consistent from weigh-in to weigh-in.

I have this scale as well. I love it. I also purchased because of the reviews on Amazon. The reviews were very positive about the scale as well as the company that sells them.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale. I like it. It's consistent with me. If I step on it 5 times in a row, it will give me the same number. (I know, because I have done this on many occasions lol) So overall, I like it.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a dump? and also it's probably something you that your body disagrees with. Trust me it'll subside in a few days.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale. I like it. It's consistent with me. If I step on it 5 times in a row, it will give me the same number. (I know, because I have done this on many occasions lol) So overall, I like it.

I have the same scale and I agree. It's very consistent and accurate.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    The only time I have lost 10 lbs. of water within a week (this has definitely never happened overnight) was after giving birth. I had had preeclampsia, and immediately after giving birth, the condition resolved and the water began just pouring out, literally.

I've never gained 10 whole pounds of anything overnight, or lost 10 whole pounds of anything overnight, not under any circumstances. Up to maybe 4-ish pounds, yes.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    After Christmas last year, I weighed myself, and had gained a lot of weight. I hadn't weighed myself for about 6 weeks, and had been under a lot of stress, and fallen off the wagon.
    Jumped back on the wagon, and weighed myself a week after that, and the scale jumped down by 10lb! I instantly knew that at least half, if not more, was water weight.
    I actually updated my weight, and had someone start ripping into me for lying about my gain to make myself feel better. Very weird behaviour, I blocked them. Only person I'm doing this for is myself!

Man people are weird. I do odd things to my weight settings like changing them to my goal weight to eat at goal weight maintenance a while, then change back to mt current weight to eat at a deficit. I'd block them too.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's happened to me. It took a good week to get straight again.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yup. In August I went on a short, three day vacation. Lots of restaraunt food (which is really just expensive salt), lots of alcohol, a lot more carbs than I'd normally consume. Was up 10 lbs the day we got back. It took about a week of being back to normal habits to shed the weight, but it was definitely water. It's truly amazing how much we can hold onto.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I was going the other way, but when my high blood pressure problem was discovered I was put on a diuretic, in the first week I lost 15 pounds even though I was not really dieting. Almost all of that was water. I have had times when I have run out of those diuretic pills and in a matter of days pounds will start coming back on, all water weight. One time 7 pounds in a two day stretch.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    Are you pregnant?

Haha. Priceless

Must be one of those overnight add 10 pounds kind of pregnancies.

I retained crazy amounts of water when I was pregnant. (Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks by giving birth to an 8 lb baby. You do the math. :smile: )
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The body is ~60% water so yeah - very easy to hold onto a gallon depending on your recent salt intake, hormone balance, etc. Far too many variables to identify the root cause.

Hydrate and wait 3-5 days and you should be back to normal. That's a rough approximation on how long it takes your body to flush.

Wrestlers are masters at weight management and will take Epson salt baths to accelerate the water loss, or just walk around spitting and limiting water intake, but this is done only to hit their match target. Not a good solution for weight loss.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can OP update us on this, it's more gripping than TV.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »

:laugh: true
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

Each day I step on the scale, and the number isn't going down. So I think it is what it is (although I still don't know how) and I'm just moving forward. I can't dwell on the negative, I can only think about the positive. Negative thoughts will jut send anyone down a rabbit hole, so I just don't do it.

So there it is. I someone did gain almost 9 lbs. I take medicine to help me sleep at night, and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I don't know what I do, but I have woken to food in my bed lol. So I am a sleep eater lol. I need padlocks for all the cabinet doors, or a shock system maybe. Such is life.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Each day I step on the scale, and the number isn't going down. So I think it is what it is (although I still don't know how) and I'm just moving forward. I can't dwell on the negative, I can only think about the positive. Negative thoughts will jut send anyone down a rabbit hole, so I just don't do it.

So there it is. I someone did gain almost 9 lbs. I take medicine to help me sleep at night, and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I don't know what I do, but I have woken to food in my bed lol. So I am a sleep eater lol. I need padlocks for all the cabinet doors, or a shock system maybe. Such is life.

Stop weighing yourself everyday for now, wait a week or two and then step back on the scales. In the mean time stay with your deficit and keep drinking enough water.