How to exercise so that you are not so sore in between workouts

Last week, I went too hard I think and I had to take 4 days off. Don't want to do that again.

I did hip thrusts 165 lbs for 3 sets of 8 and then 135 lbs 1 set of 95lbs x 20 and then the bar 1 set of 30

Then I went on to do DL's, back extensions (glute focused), weighted donkey kicks.

Two days later, I did the same again.

I was so sore, I had to take 4 days off from any lower back or glute exercises.

What do you guys do, so that you can have better workouts? I should maybe just stick to 3 reps on the barbell hip thrusts if I'm going to do all the other exercises?

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    ^^^ Nailed it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1 - follow an established program
    2 - ease into things...nobody goes from 0-100 overnight
    3 - keep at it...the worst thing you can do for DOMs is taking a bunch of time off
    4 - take a hot bath
    5 - Ibuprofen

This.
    I did hip thrusts 165 lbs for 3 sets of 8 and then 135 lbs 1 set of 95lbs x 20 and then the bar 1 set of 30

Do you mean you did:

3 x 8 at 165 lbs
    3 x 8 at 135 lbs
    1 x 20 at 95 lbs
    1 x 30 at 45 lbs

Article from Bret Contreras on his suggestions for rep schemes:

https://bretcontreras.com/quit-going-darn-heavy-hip-thrusts-train-glutes-not-ego/
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks. I am confident I have proper form at 165 lbs, so perhaps just stick to 3 sets today, so I don't completely exhaust myself on hip thrusts. I totally feel the glute burn; it's very painful on that last rep when I hold it as long as I can.

It was my upper glutes that took a killing. My upper glutes have been dead for years. I purchased a roller last week also and I've began ham stretches along with the glute rolling.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    I was like, I got this... then @cwolfman13 was like... BOOM.

I'd just add new workouts/movements/intensity brings the sore. It can be kind of intense at times. But that's normal... and working through it actually helps as unintuitive as that sounds. Taking breaks when you're sore (SORE... not HURT) is a recipe for inconsistency and progress doesn't like inconsistency.

Wear that sore (SORE... not HURT) with pride. It means you're changing.
  • serapel
    Thanks everyone. Next time if it's sore, but not injured, I'll just pull through it.

Should I keep the hip thrust weight the same until my body can handle it without a lot of pain afterwards?

ie. able to do 3 X 10 reps at 165 lbs - so the week after that I increase by 10 lbs and then lower the reps again. Work up to 3 X 10 and then increase the weight.
  • jemhh
    edited October 2016
    In case you missed it:

An established program will preempt this question.
    serapel wrote: »
    Should I keep the hip thrust weight the same until my body can handle it without a lot of pain afterwards?

ETA: I'm going to go further and say that you should not be having pain if you have proper form. Soreness, possibly (not everybody has it and it's common to not have it when training regularly), but pain, no.
  • serapel
    I would keep increasing, but why are you increasing by 10 pounds instead of five? Do you not have 2.5 pound plates?

Generally, no. They only have one set and are very hard to find. They have few 5 lbs around.
  • serapel
    jemhh wrote: »
    In case you missed it:

ETA: I'm going to go further and say that you should not be having pain if you have proper form. Soreness, possibly (not everybody has it and it's common to not have it when training regularly), but pain, no.

yeah got it, and I appreciate it. I can't afford a PT anymore. Had one who got me started.

I guess what I'm asking is would this be good progressive loading? I understand that the general concept is to always do progressive loading while keeping proper form.

i.e. able to do 3 X 10 reps at 165 lbs - so the week after that I increase by 10 lbs and then lower the reps again. Work up to 3 X 10 and then increase the weight.
  • serapel
    Once a week, I do SLHT also, so I'm BBHT twice a week.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited October 2016
    In case you missed it:

yeah got it, and I appreciate it. I can't afford a PT anymore. Had one who got me started.

I guess what I'm asking is would this be good progressive loading? I understand that the general concept is to always do progressive loading while keeping proper form.

i.e. able to do 3 X 10 reps at 165 lbs - so the week after that I increase by 10 lbs and then lower the reps again. Work up to 3 X 10 and then increase the weight.

Progressive overload =/= adding weight to the bar. There are many ways to achieve progressive overload.

If you were that sore, your working weight(s) were too heavy. If you don't know how to progress when, you're doing the wrong program (assuming you're following a program at all).
  • jemhh
    I'd suggesting getting the book Strong Curves, in hard copy not Kindle format. Its four programs fit your glute-centric goal. It's less than $25.
  • serapel
    I was only that sore last week - was my glute medius. I've been doing 165 lbs now for 3 weeks and slowly increasing the reps. I also do SLHT once a week.

Looking back, I was in a hurry last week and skimped on the stretches and glute activation exercises.

Yes, I am following a program that my PT gave me. I just worry that I"m trying too hard. I'm 45 years old also.

• serapel
    My understanding of progressive overload is from Bret Contreras:

Lifting the same load for increased distance (range of motion)
    Lifting the same load and volume with better form, more control, and less effort (efficiency)
    Lifting the same load for more reps (volume)
    Lifting heavier loads (intensity of load)
    Lifting the same load and volume with less rest time in between sets (density)
    Lifting a load with more speed and acceleration (intensity of effort)
    Doing more work in the same amount of time (density)
    Doing the same work in less amount of time (density)
    Doing more sets with the same load and reps (volume)
    Lifting the same load and volume more often throughout the week (frequency)
    Doing the same work while losing body mass (increased relative volume)
    Lifting the same load and volume and then extending the set past technical failure with forced reps, negatives, drop sets, static holds, rest pause, partial reps, or post-exhaustion (intensity of effort)
  • jemhh
    I was only that sore last week - was my glute medius. I've been doing 165 lbs now for 3 weeks and slowly increasing the reps. I also do SLHT once a week.

Looking back, I was in a hurry last week and skimped on the stretches and glute activation exercises.

Yes, I am following a program that my PT gave me. I just worry that I"m trying too hard. I'm 45 years old also.

What kind of progression scheme did your PT give you? I worked with a PT when I first started lifting. He created a program for me and told me when and how to progress. If you worked with a PT, she should have gone over this stuff with you.
  • serapel
    Yes, told me to increase weights and work on ROM at low rep for 2-3 sets. Then increase the reps with full ROM up to 10 reps for 3 sets. Then when hit that to increase the weight and start over again.

She also told me to do single leg once a week using same concept.

She also told me one week per month, to lower weights by 20% and just kill it with one set until failure just pumping very fast with full ROM or to pulse at the top until failure.

This sound like a good plan?
  • jemhh
    Yes, told me to increase weights and work on ROM at low rep for 2-3 sets. Then increase the reps with full ROM up to 10 reps for 3 sets. Then when hit that to increase the weight and start over again.

Can you clarify one thing--Are you doing the 2-3 sets at low rep and the 3 sets at 10 reps all in one workout? I couldn't tell from your first post what, exactly, you did with 135 pounds. did you do 3x10x165 AND 3x10x135 AND 1x20x95 AND 1x30x45?

Why did you add in the 20 and 30 rep sets?

I think you likely just did too much too fast. How long did you work with the trainer?
  • serapel

Can you clarify one thing--Are you doing the 2-3 sets at low rep and the 3 sets at 10 reps all in one workout? I couldn't tell from your first post what, exactly, you did with 135 pounds. did you do 3x10x165 AND 3x10x135 AND 1x20x95 AND 1x30x45?

Why did you add in the 20 and 30 rep sets?

I think you likely just did too much too fast. How long did you work with the trainer?

Yes one workout. I trained with Pt for 4 months. I have been training for 23 years. Heavy since April.
  • serapel
    Today I progressed and am happy. Did BBHT 165 lbs

165 x 10
    165 x10
    165 x 9

Then went on to reverse back extensions, cable pull through, good mornings and weighted donkey kick using leg press.

I don't think I over did it today :) Using arnica just in case :)
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Choose a weight for your program (whatever it is) that allows you to do the goal reps with one or two reps left in the bank rather than a weight that makes the last rep truly the last rep in you if you are having recovery issues. When it feels easy enough that you could do three or more more reps, add a little weight. You still have progress but without beating yourself up so bad.