Question About Calories

Options
Okay so I was reading this guide on what to eat if you run a lot, I'm 19, male, 141 lbs, (I'm running about 15-20 miles a week if that matters) it says I should eat about 1833 calories a day. What I don't understand is that it says 50% of my calories should come from carbs, 25% from protein, and 25% from fats, how is this being measured? Cause I know all of that stuff is measured by grams, but on the website it states "for example if you eat 1800 calories a day 25% of those should come from protein" I just don't understand how they're measuring that, does it mean I'm supposed to eat 458 calories of protein a day? That makes no sense to me... Thanks for any help you can give me guys. Here's the article website just in case anyone wants to check it out http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--7771-2-1X3-3,00.html

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram. If you log your food here on MFP, they tell you how many grams you should be eating to make it easier. You can customize the percentages by going to Goals (on the home page menu at the top), change goals, and then select "customize". I think the default is 55% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat or something like that.