Won a Free Session with a PT!

Options
I'm very excited but have no idea what to expect??

I should go in with a goal, right? Tell her I'm just starting to loose weight and want to maintain muscle? I will likely book a second session with her as she generously donated her time to a charity I was supporting. I was going to wait to book with a PT until I had lost more weight, sometimes I feel like I'm still too fat to go to a professional. I'm nervous.

Any tips?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've never had a PT. But that's super exciting, congratulations!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congrats!

You say that you want to maintain muscle mass while losing weight - following a progressive heavy lifting program is a great way to do that (coupled with adequate protein).

So, if you're lifting, or going to start lifting soon, I would probably use that session as an opportunity to review your form. Many people feel nervous starting a lifting program so this could also be a great way to boost your confidence!
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and it has really helped me with my goals! If you do not plan on staying with her for more then a few sessions though I would suggest figuring out everything that you want to know from her, whether that be what kind of exercise that will help reach your goal, how to do said exercises or anything else you can think of. Try to get the most out of your time with her!

You defiantly don't need to be at a smaller weight to start seeing a professional, that's actually exactly when you should see one, when you're at your worse and want to get better. If you can afford it then I highly recommended getting another session with her! Good luck!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Definitely have an idea of what you want to do. And let the trainer know what your goals are. Are you wanting to get into heavy lifting? Do you need help coming up with a program? Do you need to learn proper form or have your form reviewed? You may even want to research different lifting programs (if that's what you want to do) and choose the one that you like the most, and bring that in and have the PT help you with that.

Also, there are some things that you want to take with a grain of salt. I never listen to the advice about nutrition from a PT b/c A) chances are they are not a dietitian or nutritionist & B ) they are not supposed to talk to you about nutrition unless they are a dietitian or nutritionist.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    spring913 wrote: »
    I was going to wait to book with a PT until I had lost more weight, sometimes I feel like I'm still too fat to go to a professional.

That's like waiting to take driving lessons until your driving improves. B)

Yes, tell her your goals, how many days per week you will work out, and any workout preferences (lots of variety vs. a simple workout, etc).
    It may take a few sessions to learn the whole routine and review it.
    Ask for a program in writing, since people tend to forget the little details. :+1:
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I'll start thinking about what I want to get out of our sessions and make a list. Form and a lifting program are for sure at the top!