Barbecue Meatloaf... Delish and 341 cals!

Options
stinamarie17
stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
One of my favorite comfort foods is meatloaf... but it's been hard to fit into my plan ever since i started counting cals... I found a recipe for turkey meatloaf and initially thought "YUCK!".. I've never been fond of turkey burgers or turkey tacos... so I was a bit skeptical at first... but I have to say, this is hands down my favorite meatloaf recipe EVER. Even my dad, who works in the meat industry and would eat steak every day if he could, likes this recipe better than the traditional ones... give it a try! you won't be disappointed...

I haven't experimented much with this recipe in terms of adding additional veggies and such, but this is a great base and could easily be spruced up.

Turkey Barbecue Meatloaf (4 servings, 341 cals each).
20 oz of ground turkey (I use ground turkey breast and it happens to stay perfectly moist!)
1/2 cup of plain panko breadcrumbs
1 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 egg whites
1 cup of barbecue sauce (I use Stubb's, typically lower in calories than other brands... 35 cals/tbsp as opposed to 70.. sweet and spicy flavor is my personal favorite!)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a big bowl, mix turkey, panko, onion, worcestershire sauce, egg whites, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of the barbecue sauce. Mash it up with your hands until it's well combined, but don't overwork the meat (otherwise it'll get tough and yucky). Shape it into a log on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up! don't forget a little spray of PAM). Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. Once it's done, let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing. I usually slice mine into 8 thick pieces, 2 per serving.

I expected this meatloaf to be dry as a desert and bland bland bland.. but it is seriously delish! Perfect for when you're craving some BBQ or comfort food.