Running Help

Options
danny7305
danny7305 Posts: 24 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've been using the treadmill for 3 weeks now, I have good running shoes.
But my right foot starts hurting, like an aching pain while running

I think I may be running wrong
Wonder what other people did who were in the same situation at the start

I've been advised to using a personal trainer to get my running sorted but I don't wanna spend money on that

I use my treadmill at home and don't make sure of a gym

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    you could try going to a fancy running shop. they usually have a treadmill there and a camera to watch your gait so that they can recommend shoes based on how you run. they can tell you if you pronate your ankles, or other obvious things that may help and give you some tips. you don't have to buy anything but it may be a problem that could be helped with shoes that are better suited to your running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My gut feeling is probably your shoes..........

How old are they? Even the best shoes need replacing on a regular basis.

Did you get them fitted by a running shop? There are different types of shoes based on your gait (they may have been very comfortable walking before you started running but the mechanics are different)

Are you trying to do too much too soon too fast? New runners (and some more experienced ones too) frequently fall victim to their own enthusiasm and try increasing distance / frequency too quickly resulting in overuse injuries.

Cut your distances and speed back to where you were before the pain started and see what happens.....if that fixes the problem slow down on increasing distances.
  • danny7305
    Options

Did you get them fitted by a running shop? There are different types of shoes based on your gait (they may have been very comfortable walking before you started running but the mechanics are different)

Are you trying to do too much too soon too fast? New runners (and some more experienced ones too) frequently fall victim to their own enthusiasm and try increasing distance / frequency too quickly resulting in overuse injuries.

Cut your distances and speed back to where you were before the pain started and see what happens.....if that fixes the problem slow down on increasing distances.

The shoes where new 3 weeks ago, from a sports shop, i thought they were good, they should of been £80

i'm gone from nothing to doing 30mins intense walking with fast sprints every 5 minutes for 1- 1.30minutes
    so around 5 minutes total of running fast and the the rest is fast walking
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    danny7305 wrote: »

The shoes where new 3 weeks ago, from a sports shop, i thought they were good, they should of been £80

i'm gone from nothing to doing 30mins intense walking with fast sprints every 5 minutes for 1- 1.30minutes

Try running slowly rather than sprinting and see if that helps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Could be shoe fit, lacing, appropriateness.

Just because they cost you 80 quid doesn't mean they're the most appropriate shoes for you.

Your other potential contribution is too much, too soon. How often are you running?

Personally I'd not normally advocate doing sprint work until you can comfortably run at a steady pace for about an hour, three times per week. I'd add that if I'm doing sprint work I'll warm up for 15 minutes beforehand.

I appreciate that steady paced running for 30 minutes on a dreadmill is very dull, but steady paced aerobic range is the foundation for everything else in running.

• danny7305
    Options

Try running slowly rather than sprinting and see if that helps.

thanks i will try and going at a slower place and see what happens
  • danny7305
    Options

Could be shoe fit, lacing, appropriateness.

Just because they cost you 80 quid doesn't mean they're the most appropriate shoes for you.

Your other potential contribution is too much, too soon. How often are you running?

Personally I'd not normally advocate doing sprint work until you can comfortably run at a steady pace for about an hour, three times per week. I'd add that if I'm doing sprint work I'll warm up for 15 minutes beforehand.

I appreciate that steady paced running for 30 minutes on a dreadmill is very dull, but steady paced aerobic range is the foundation for everything else in running.

i probably should of gone to a running shop, i would like to make these work so they arnt a waste
    i will try altering the lacing, i assume they should be evenly tight?

i will try going slower, maybe jog rather than sprint for the moment
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Where exactly in/on your right foot is the pain coming from?
  • danny7305
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

just behind the ball of the foot of the left side and in the arch area
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    i probably should of gone to a running shop, i would like to make these work so they arnt a waste

What did you get and where did they come from?

There are a number of different approaches, depending on the shape of your foot and what you're experiencing. Do a search for lacing techniques and you'll find some discussion on options.

I do about 80% of my running at a relatively slow pace, around a 9-10 minute mile, with only really one run per week doing either tempo or fast intervals. It oes depend on objectives but most of my events are Half Marathons, Marathons and Ultras.
  • CMNVA
    Options

Okay, that's what I was concerned about. Whenever my shoes aren't laced correctly or are ill fitting, I will mainly get pain on the top of the foot. I am an over-pronater with a very low arch. As I've gotten older, I've needed to get orthopedic inserts for my running shoes because of the stress that my arch is getting. Based on what you've described for your pain, I'm more inclined to believe that the shoes are not offering you enough support for the type of arch you have (and the arch problem can vary from foot to foot--it just so happens that my right foot is the one that will flare up easily).

I think if you want to a fancy running store and got those, you should go back with the shoes and explain your problem. That is at least one advantage of paying full price for a shoe in a fancy store is that they generally take them back if they don't work for you.

You could also try an "over the counter" orthotic in the shoe but you probably need to figure out the problem first.
  • danny7305
    Options

What did you get and where did they come from?

There are a number of different approaches, depending on the shape of your foot and what you're experiencing. Do a search for lacing techniques and you'll find some discussion on options.

I do about 80% of my running at a relatively slow pace, around a 9-10 minute mile, with only really one run per week doing either tempo or fast intervals. It oes depend on objectives but most of my events are Half Marathons, Marathons and Ultras.

i bought Reebok ZQuick Dash, from DW Sport

Thanks i will have a look into that

I just assumed the harder you push the better, and that i was pacing it enough
  • danny7305
    Options

Okay, that's what I was concerned about. Whenever my shoes aren't laced correctly or are ill fitting, I will mainly get pain on the top of the foot. I am an over-pronater with a very low arch. As I've gotten older, I've needed to get orthopedic inserts for my running shoes because of the stress that my arch is getting. Based on what you've described for your pain, I'm more inclined to believe that the shoes are not offering you enough support for the type of arch you have (and the arch problem can vary from foot to foot--it just so happens that my right foot is the one that will flare up easily).

I think if you want to a fancy running store and got those, you should go back with the shoes and explain your problem. That is at least one advantage of paying full price for a shoe in a fancy store is that they generally take them back if they don't work for you.

You could also try an "over the counter" orthotic in the shoe but you probably need to figure out the problem first.

thanks for that, will have to have a research and see whats available around me

appreciate it
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited October 2016
    Options
    i bought Reebok ZQuick Dash, from DW Sport

That's a very unstructured shoe, so you really need to spend time getting your gait right before you push the pace.

Personally my preferred trail shoe is quite unstructured, but on road I have used a more motion control model to help manage my gait.

As it's while you're running my inclination is more that it's the shoe, or you're lacing it too tight when you put it on. Given that shoe, an orthotic will just give you different problems. It's too unstructured to be able to benefit from that.
  • danny7305
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone, i went to a running shop.
    they had me run on a treadmill will my running shoes and showed me how unsupportive they are
    then had me try out about 4 pairs, and run in them and showed me how much more supportive they are
    (they used video)

i ended up leaving with a pair of Asics GT-1000 5

ive used them and they are much better, my feet still hurt but that will be from what i did with the old running shoes
    i guess i need to take it easy for a couple days
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The Asics GT-1000's are good shoes - that's what I have and it's what my daughter and wife also both use. They seem to be quite a common choice by running shops when advising about shoes.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    I've always done very well Asics. For me it has been the Gel-Kayano but overall they are a good brand with good stability.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone, i went to a running shop.
    they had me run on a treadmill will my running shoes and showed me how unsupportive they are
    then had me try out about 4 pairs, and run in them and showed me how much more supportive they are
    (they used video)

i ended up leaving with a pair of Asics GT-1000 5

ive used them and they are much better, my feet still hurt but that will be from what i did with the old running shoes
    i guess i need to take it easy for a couple days

In my opinion, they did a poor job of gait analysis. They should have had you run in neutral shoes, (new) not your current running shoes. Doing it the way they did can (an often does) make for faulty analysis.

The shoes they told you you needed, are stability (over pronation) needs, which you may or may not need. And even if a person is an overpronator, that doesn't necessarily mean that one needs a stability shoe.

Pay close attention to your new shoes over the next several runs (especially your long run). If something doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to return them.
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Let me give the opinion that I always give. It is not the shoes. It is that the ligaments in your feet haven't got strong enough to deal with the forces of running. Slow down, if it is hurting slow it down more or stop do something else like spinning. Eventually, your feet will stop hurting and you will be able to run faster and longer. Running once a week to me is too little. Try running at a lower intensity more times a week for shorter lengths. Then run a little bit more the next week. If something hurts drop back down the next week. Never increase duration or intensity more than 5% a week.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, they did a poor job of gait analysis. They should have had you run in neutral shoes, (new) not your current running shoes. Doing it the way they did can (an often does) make for faulty analysis.

They had him run in 4 different pairs of new shoes and might well have started with a neutral set.