Focusing on dress size ....

Options
So ... I have an idea . Im new to starting calorie counting again , and starting back exercising regularly . Whenever I weigh after exercising I see a gain or even though water retention or increased exercise it really affects my motivation and I don't stick to my diet and binge due to the scale being heavier !

So im thinking . I may not weigh for a while , but focus more on
Dress size . I have a dress that is tight on me and the zip only goes up half way . So maybe if I focus on the dress fitting perfectly rather than on numbers on the scale that would be more helpful ??

Ideas views anyone ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you think this could work for you, you should give it a try. I know there are many users here who focus on how their clothes are fitting rather than a specific number on a scale.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself weekly in the morning after going to the bathroom
    I did also have a pair of shorts that were too tight that I tried on every few weeks until they just fell down
    Also focus on logging food accurately
    Good luck
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Scales change throughout the day. Clothes do not change (unless you shrink them). I agree with ditching the scale. Best thing I've ever done.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I did that - focusing on a target outfit - it worked out well for me, I can tell you it was hugely gratifying to be able to pull on those pants and zip them up with ease!!
  • connorlauren3638
    connorlauren3638 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

'Scales change throughout the day. Clothes do not change (unless you shrink them). I agree with ditching the scale. Best thing I've ever done.'

This is really helped my mindset . Thankyou sooooo much
  • connorlauren3638
    connorlauren3638 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ps , Thankyou for everybody's replies xxxx
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I hung my favourite dress, that I hadn't been able to get over my hips for years(actually split the seam), on the wall in the bedroom. It was the first thing I saw every morning.
    I knew I had hit my goal when I fit in it comfortably again. It actually fit better as I had been exercising as I lost so had a better shape at my previous weight.

I did weigh myself- but the dress was the goal.

Cheers, h.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Focusing on size (how clothes fit, how I look in the mirror, and occasionally measurements) definitely works better for me. I don't really care what I weigh if I can pull up my skinny jeans and look and feel good in them.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of goal jeans. They were my favorites when I was in better shape and Im looking forward to wearing them again.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Take progress photos! You will be so grateful you did. I was embarrassed to take my before photos but now I show them off to anyone willing to see.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I find I still want the scale as a gauge but I have indeed dropped size without dropping significant weight. This actually just happened...I'm down a jeans size at the same weight. Both can be barometers of progress. :)

Personally, I will never JUST use size, as I found that I crept up and up in weight previously because I could "still fit" into my pants (squeezing into them...and then I literally think I stretched them out). Then there was always some excuse...Oh, I must be retaining water, because look, I can still fit into my jeans...or, oh, my jeans shrank from too many washings...etc. There's a lot we can tell ourselves, a lot of mythology we can make up...so *for me personally* I wouldn't just go on size. I have heard, though, of some people who never weigh at all. They ONLY go by size. So do what works for you...one, the other, or some combination. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I actually think that would be a great idea if you are like me, one of those people that focus way too much on numbers. Passing on the scale doesn't mean you can't reach your goal it just means you have a new goal that works for you!!!!
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate weighing, so I do it rarely but I did have a pair of purple corduroy pants that were my goal pants, I have had them for years because I loved them and someday I would wear them again, well I got into them last christmas and they were really not very cute or faltering but I kept them because getting into them was such a big deal to me and now they are way too big, but they are still in my dresser just to remind me how far I have come!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a few items of clothing that I wore when I was smaller than I try on periodically. Every so often, one of them fits again! YAY! But, I do weigh myself as well. Daily. I am slightly obsessed :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    trying on a tight dress or pants every week or few days works great. it is a real measure of how you're doing.

I'm not weighing myself for the reason you mention. Why sabotage myself or feel like a failure over what the scale says after i've worked so hard? My goal is to get healthy first.

it took me 45 days to see a change. but now i'm down a size (day 61) I love doing it this way, now my focus is on making healthy tasty food and exercising to be fit and strong.

How can I do this forever is my goal My energy is spent on that not letting a number on the scale determine my self esteem.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely suggest measuring yourself or taking progress photos once a month too. My thinking is that you could lose weight in places that won't affect your dress size, which could be discouraging (at least I'd be discouraged). For me, my face got thinner before anything else did, and I lost more than 20 lbs before going down a dress size. Progress pictures really helped me see the differences in my body, and I think I personally would've been pretty frustrated measuring my progress with a dress, because my first months of losing weight didn't really affect my size too much.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the morning first thing after using the bathroom. Once a month I would take a progress photo, body measurements and try on my test jeans. They are all ways to measure progress.
    My test jeans starting out I could not zip at all- not even halfway. Eventually I could zip and fasten them. That was a pretty nice feeling. The jeans took 15-20 lbs to be able to zip and wear. I think with another 5-10 lbs they will fit perfect. So that is a slower measure of progress than the scale.