Confused with exercise calories

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I have recently started turbofire and today was a 50 minute workout plus extra walking on lunch break so I am currently at over 1200 calories earnt during exercise, although this is connected to Fitbit so includes general day to day I should imagine. I only started calorie counting again last weekend and I am having 1700 a day. I am so hungry and i wondered should I eat any exercise calories or do I need to push through? Should exercise calories be ignored? Have tried to look on google but some say yes and some say no so just wondered what you all thought? Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up you're meant to eat exercise calories back
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    Thank you, I set up my own calorie intake as my TDEE was just over 2000 if that makes any difference?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Since you're using MFP, which uses NEAT rather than TDEE, it would be simpler to let MFP set your calories and eat a percentage of your exercise calories back.

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you, I set up my own calorie intake as my TDEE was just over 2000 if that makes any difference?

Oh, then if you're following TDEE you don't eat exercise calories.
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Since you're using MFP, which uses NEAT rather than TDEE, it would be simpler to let MFP set your calories and eat a percentage of your exercise calories back.

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Thank you, would I eat half of what mfp says which includes general steps etc or just half of the 50 mins of turbofire please?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Thank you, would I eat half of what mfp says which includes general steps etc or just half of the 50 mins of turbofire please?

I eat 100% of the calories I earn from my Fitbit One steps. I log other exercise separately and don't eat all of that back, but do not use a specific percentage.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your TDEE includes exercise calories already. If you're using MFP's calorie goal, then you can eat some back. But if you set your goal based on your TDEE, then you wouldn't.
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options

Your TDEE includes exercise calories already. If you're using MFP's calorie goal, then you can eat some back. But if you set your goal based on your TDEE, then you wouldn't.

Thank you, well tonight I have ate every single exercise calorie back, that may have been to do with me eating only 100 calories till 2pm then starving! Have decided I will mainly try and eat around half of exercise (not including extra Fitbit ones) and see how I get on. Does this seem about right? Thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Thank you, well tonight I have ate every single exercise calorie back, that may have been to do with me eating only 100 calories till 2pm then starving! Have decided I will mainly try and eat around half of exercise (not including extra Fitbit ones) and see how I get on. Does this seem about right? Thanks

No. Not if you're using TDEE calories. You do not eat any calories back using TDEE.

Maybe you should reset using MFP's calories if you really want to eat back exercise calories. (Or if you don't completely understand what TDEE, BMR, NEAT, etc, mean.)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're doing TDEE DO NOT EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES. If you want to eat back your exercise calories then switch back to using MFP's calorie goal. TDEE already includes your exercise calories. If you eat them back you're probably completely erasing any deficit factored in and you'll either maintain or gain weight. If you have your FitBit linked and are doing TDEE I would just unlink them. Forget about those extra calories. You need to pick one way or the other - you can't mix and expect results.
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    I have changed to MFP calculations which means I am on 1610 cals a day, according to MFP I burnt 543 calories doing turbofire. Then with walking to and from work etc it says I have burnt more calories however if I just eat half of the calories I burnt through turbofire (so an additional 270) does that sound about right? Thanks x