Anyone 5ft eat fewer than 1200 a day

Options
13»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 800-1200 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week. This is the range I found that helps me lose weight and get toned. Discovered only 2-3 weeks back. And started losing weight much more easily. Before that I tried all kinds of things, and it did not work. I used to be afraid of eating fewer calories, but then read Dr. Michael Mosley's work - the 2 different plans - 5:2, and 800 calories for 2 months, and I mixed everything and invented my own plan that works for me. I also tend to get in the pre-diabetic range if I am not careful, so his work was important to me. I think you will be able to figure out what works best for you.

You're exercising and eating 800 calories a day??

That is not a good plan to do anything but lose muscle and possibly lead to binging. Talk to your doctor.

OP, if you're exercising at the level you posted, you really should at least raise your calories to 1200.

Shift your priorities as middlehaitch said. This isn't just about weight loss. Hopefully, you've developed an appreciation for your fitness goals along the way to losing weight. Part of achieving overall health (and a healthy body) involves adequately fueling activity. This might mean a slower rate of weight loss, but the ultimate goal is not to just get to goal weight.

The ultimate goal is to form a balance between eating and activity and the healthy behaviors around them. Right now, you're too focused on weight loss instead of the relationship those two things have to each other and the idea of habit forming.

Just some food for thought.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I want to gain muscle as I lose weight and eventually just maintain and gain muscle.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That's my issue as well. I am 5'8 and only eat on average 1100 per day sometimes even less. I am looking to cut but maintain lean muscle mass and not bulk up however like you. I have also added a 3rd cardio day in for a 5x per week gym session but it is working for me. I know I need to eat more productive food but why try and fix what isn't broken right?

As a male your minimum calorie intake should be 1500...at 1100 you are lower than my minimum and I'm a 5'2 woman. Are you under a doctor's supervision?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify one point - I dont think anybody is recomending any active petite women eat only 1200 calories in total

They are recommending some sedentary petite women do (ie with no excercise calories to add on) - or such active women eat 1200 net - ie PLUS whatever exercise calories they burn.

So to the previous poster who said she was 5ft 1 and eating double that - yes, that could well be appropriate in total, if you are also very active and/or also have more to lose - but probably not for someone sedentary and with only a small amount to lose.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm under 5ft and have eaten more than 1200 cals a day for years, and that is why I need to lose weight. I've cut back to 1200 and the weight isn't shifting. I've now reduced to 1100 to see it that works. I can eat, very healthy, at 1100, my problems are that I tend to overeat at weekends, not necessarily because I'm hungry, but because I'm more likely to be less organised and therefore more easily influenced by higher calorie foods.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and this is what I'm currently eating at (and my diary is public) for those of you who think 1,200 calories is "eating like a toddler". I am losing at this caloric deficit and normally I wouldn't eat this low with my TDEE factored in, however, I am doing a mock version of a bikini prep competition and trying to get my BF between 8-11%. Once I'm finished with this diet, I'll begin reverse dieting and eating back in my normal range (1,600ish) or possibly bulking (around 2,000). Just waiting to see what my goals will be after this diet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mari5466 wrote: »
    I want to gain muscle as I lose weight and eventually just maintain and gain muscle.

You cannot be in a calorie deficit to lose weight *and* gain muscle simultaneously. It just doesn't work like that, I'm afraid.