Gram Flour (Chickpea Flour) Ideas? Bread?

Options
andyluvv
andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
Hi y'all!
Came across Gram flour recently and bought it as I thought it was amazing in terms of fibre and protein. But...what could I use it for? I'd like to make some burger buns and was wondering if that would be possible?

I also have a myprotein flatbread mix but as I'm totally new to baking - could that be used to make some healthy breads and loaves too? I'd appreciate some ideas!

Thanks,

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Gram flour is great for flatbreads. I often do a very quick one with just gram flour and water, then cooked like a chapati makes a delicious wrap for your lunch with a nice punch of protein.

Mix with a little water and spices and use to bind vegetables to make veg fritters (like pakoras really). I quite like sweetcorn fritters, courgette & carrot and also sweet potato fritters made this way, (just grate or spiralise the latter two sets of veg). I find the sweet veg, spicy mix and slight nuttiness of the gram flour work well together. [I know what I'm having later now!]

Mixed with baking powder, water and seasoning makes it into more of a pancake rather than flatbread - wonderful as base for savoury pancakes.

Mustn't forget onion bhajis which are my favourite - simplest and tastiest recipe is to slice up your onion and put in a bowl with a bit of salt for 5 mins to let the onions sweat a bit. Then mix in chickpea flour, garam masala and turmeric (and optionally chilli). At this point really crush up the onions with the flour using your hands. The mix should become like a paste just using the onion liquid without need to add any extra liquid - if feels a bit dry make sure you really squeeze the mix hard and leave aside for another 5-10 mins and the onions should sweat a bit more. Add in some chopped parsley, then shape and deep fry.

Have never tried it in proper breads, such as burger buns. Suspect it may come out a bit dense/heavy but worth a go I guess.

I've also got this recipe for cookies from a time I did some gluten free baking. I haven't tried it yet though, (ended up making gluten free brownies which were delicious).
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas, thankyou
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I actually found this great food blog with a peculiar recipe! Really willing to give this a try!

Chickpea flour burger bun!
    http://nourishedmag.com/recipes-and-inspirations/chickpea-burger-buns
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yes, onion bhajis! So delicious, but with coriander/cilantro, not parsley :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I've used it as part of the binder in falafel (you don't use that much though -- you use a lot more of the whole chickpeas).