Protein shakes

Options
What are your thoughts on protein shakes? Been on slim fast 3 2 1 plan and loss 7 lbs then gain 3. Is it really work I g or am I just wasting my time?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on protein shakes? Been on slim fast 3 2 1 plan and loss 7 lbs then gain 3. Is it really work I g or am I just wasting my time?

First of all protein shakes are NOT meal replacements.....they are protein supplements. You may find a shake with fiber, or you may find a shake with fat, and maybe, just maybe you find a shake with some micronutrients.

BUT - meal replacements have a REALLY bad track record for maintenance. After you lose the weight you need to figure out how to keep the weight off. Measuring & logging regular food teaches you so much. Meal replacements teach you nothing.

Eat regular food, meet calories goals......as long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Nothing magical about Slim Fast (been there, done that).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I wouldn't call Slim Fast a protein shake. It's a meal replacement, a really sub-par meal replacement. Calculate your daily calories and eat food that fits within those calories. If you are low on protein for the day, then you could add a protein shake if it fits within your calories. Calories first!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to add more info.

@tlovese2016 Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything you are currently eating. Get an idea where you are right now. Then make small sustainable changes, like committing to eat one vegetable every meal or substituting one soda per day for water. Once you've mastered that change, change something else. Slow and steady wins this race. Trying to lose weight quickly is a recipe for burning and crashing.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I did Slim Fast and was always starving. Couldn't stay on it. Counting calories is a much better way to go -- you eat real, satiating food and learn proper portion control. I use protein powder as a supplement to my regular meals.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Slim fast isn't a protein shake - it's all sugar. Same with muscle milk...just garbage. I use whey isolate protein powder because it has the fat and lactose removed so my stomach handles it better. I mix it with a superfood greens blend so I get my vitamins. It's not really a hunger satisfier though... it might be, if I made it with almond milk and blended it with a little fruit (blueberries are low sugar). Sometimes I will use the "blends" of protein (isolates, concentrates, egg) but my stomach suffers a little from it.
  • Amanda_1973
    Amanda_1973 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use Premiere chocolate or vanilla protein shakes if I'm in a hurry or need to grab and go kind of thing especially for breakfast but it's only if I'm running late. I agree with everyone here as well, those slim fast shakes are not great for you and a marketing ploy, I'd suggest make your own protein shakes/smoothies. I use frozen fruit (lots of fiber), almond milk, whey protein powder, 1/2 a banana sometimes, yogurt sometimes, tsp of peanut butter sometimes and a blender/magic bullet. they can be somewhat high in calories but great for a breakfast meals, they are quick and they are very good for you, much better than those store bought shakes.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Love my protein smoothies with frozen fruit. I agree with the others here. Slim fast shakes are not the best way to go.