looking for low carb substitues for potatos.

Options
2»

Replies

• leologan42
    leologan42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I hate the idea of eating so low carb that you can't eat potatoes. Subs are never going to hit the spot. Just eat smaller portions, and not for every meal. Calories is king, so you have to eat proper portions anyway. Yes, this was totally unsolicited and I hope it helps.

Ya, eating about 25% less potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. works great for me.

I'm sure if I had started with that balance I'd be ok. Right now though I've found my groove. I'm more than a little afraid that by changing what has been successful to me, and now the norm, I'll upset my routine. My narrow dietary focus eliminates possible deviations that may or may not set me back.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Another option you might consider is daikon (Japanese radish). Recipes for daikon fries and mashed daikon:

http://nobunplease.com/crispy-daikon-fries/
    http://www.paleofood.com/recipes/veggies-daikonmashed.htm
  • leologan42
    leologan42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Another option you might consider is daikon (Japanese radish). Recipes for daikon fries and mashed daikon:

http://nobunplease.com/crispy-daikon-fries/
    http://www.paleofood.com/recipes/veggies-daikonmashed.htm

I forgot about daikon. This may be the closest to what I'm looking for. I'm going to give the radishes a try too. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    leologan42 wrote: »
    Cauliflower rice :)
    I've heard of that. What is it exactly? Is it just breaking down the cauliflower to a rice size?
    Yes it is! It's pretty tasty too. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Jicama would work, too.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    blueeyetea wrote: »
    I really like mashed rutabaga, although it's slightly higher carb than cauliflower. The thing about rutabaga is that it takes quite a while to cook if you're not using a pressure cooker.

Have you looked at other winter squash, like kabocha, buttercup, or sphaghetti?

I was going to say rutabaga. I just started eating this a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely love it! I am going to actually make a "fake" potato salad using rutabaga. I usually roast them for about 30 minutes. So good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have not tired this yet but read a recipe for stew that called for radishes. It said once the radishes cook in the broth they have a potato consistency. I have wanted to give this a try but have not had the chance yet.

I roast radishes and the finished result is a bit more "watery" than a roasted potato, but is reminiscent of potatoes.

Do the radishes lose there horseradish like bite when roasted.

Yes, they do become milder.
  • leejoyce31
    edited October 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I've tried cooking jicama in the oven but it was still crunchy. This recipe says the secret is to cook them in a little water in the microwave for 15 minutes before they go into the oven:

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2014/06/18/jicama-fries/

Jicama does have a texture similar to potato, and a bland taste.

I eat jicama raw. Had some today. It's really good. I agree they take too long in the oven, even when adding a little water. Hard to get rid of the crispiness.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are starchy food. Rice is a starchy food. Bread is a starchy food. Pasta is a starchy food. All are carbs. My question, @leologan42 is, are you eliminating high-cal starches from your diet?

Are you aware of Resistant Starches? These are some starchy foods, high in the amylose form of carbohydrates, which when subjected to post-cooking refrigeration for 12 hours convert to a form of starch which your stomach and small intestine cannot digest. It 'resists' digestion. This means that only the biome bacteria of your lower intestine can break down and eat the carbohydrate payload of resistant starches. That means that leologan42 does not gain any energy input from the resistant starch, but his biome does. You expel a significant part of your biome each time you poop, so it's no difference to you if your biome is fed or not.

You can convert white rice and pasta to Resistant Starch by refrigerating it for 12 hours after cooking. Reheating does not reverse the conversion. This means that you can have your starch portion and get all the satiety benefits of tasting and eating it, but none of the calories.

• leejoyce31
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do you need a replacement? Maybe skip the potatoes and just eat other foods.

However, I like other root veg (carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, etc.) roasted and they add that kind of starchy feel to a plate if you don't have a potato/sweet potato. I use them instead if I want to save a few calories sometimes, or just because they are good. I just don't think of them as a potato replacement. (I've never tried cooking radishes because I love them so raw.)

The veg I mentioned are good (alone or in combination) mashed too, if you are looking for something to mash. (I am usually too lazy to bother, but I also like my potatoes roasted more than mashed usually.)

Winter squash would work too, either roasted or mashed. Again, not really like a potato at all (more like a sweet potato), but it can serve that role on a plate.

I love butternut squash!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cauliflower rice :)
    I've heard of that. What is it exactly? Is it just breaking down the cauliflower to a rice size?

Here's a recipe (which I have not tried) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238987/paleo-cauliflower-rice/

The reviewers say it's bland, and added onion, etc.

Oh, if you look for it, Green Giant sells it frozen now. They also have blends with broccoli and a lovely one that has all the traditional vegetables you'd find in a fried rice dish. There's even on with cauliflower and sweet potato!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just switch to sweet potatoes bra. You can even get mashed ones. It's like thanksgiving everyday.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Doesn't meet his purpose of cutting carbs and calories, though.