Coping with unexpected weight gain.

Options
Hi

This is the first time I have been serious about exercise and diet. I've been doing more than I have ever been doing in my life over the past five weeks and it say me lose just over 4kg in the first month but then all of a sudden I weighed myself and found I had put on .6kg out of the blue.

I am trying so hard not to lose motivation and not give up but it is a struggle. How do others cope with this sort of thing?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    5 weeks is nothing. you have to view this as a life commitment to better healthy eating at proper levels. Weight loss is not linear. you will be up and down with over time, if your logging your calorie intake through weighing everything you eat and keeping at a deficit, coming out to a net decrease in weight.

buckle up. the ride is as much mental as physical and you really must internalize your own motivating factors because mfp won't realistically be around all your life....

suck it up and just do it...let nothing stop you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody has an actual weight; you have a weight range. Your body weight will fluctuate across a range on a daily (hourly) basis in response to a lot of factors such as exercise, stress, sodium intake, water intake, even the weight of the food processing in your system. The longer you spend doing this, the more you'll be able to see the fluctuations across that range, and you'll learn what is normal fluctuation and what is real gain or loss. Be patient for now and keep practicing those positive behaviors.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't give up no matter what. There are many reasons for fluctuations already mentioned above and 0.6kg is nothing.
    It happens to me all the time. Carry on with your efforts. Make sure you weigh everything and log everything.
    You should be fine.
  • IrRevd
    IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try not to take it to heart. Caring about my weight and health is still fairly new to me.