Low calorie/fat/sodium

Options
Ems500c
Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
Hello everyone!

Recently I have been having some medical issues and to make a long story short it's come down to my heart. My doctor has recommended a low fat/sodium diet, but I have been doing low calorie. Any recommendations on food, recipes or snacks that would work with both of these diets?! I've been eating a lot of fruit and fresh veggies but wanted something a little more creative!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One can be really creative with a chicken breast and fruit/veggies if you add herbs and spices. Hubby and I are trying to decrease our sodium consumption without losing flavor. This means leaning on things like Mrs. Dash salt-free seasonings but also many other seasonings that are naturally salt free. We're getting so we object to the saltiness of many of the things we were previously eating.

If you are unfamiliar with many seasonings, a local health-food store may have loose seasonings very cheaply. You can not only buy just a little bit to try but you can sniff them as before you even scoop any out. A place I like to frequent for a bit of online shopping is the salt-free seasonings page at Penzey's for some great pre-mixed seasonings to sprinkle on stuff as I cook. https://www.penzeys.com/shop/spices/

I recently made low-salt/lower-fat breakfast "sausage" patties to replace the store-bought patties that were starting to taste too salty. 1/2 ground chicken & 1/2 ground pork with some onion and a bunch of spices and we have a reasonable replacement for what was a bad choice.

• Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll definitely look it up and check out our local stores for salt free seasonings. I'm getting pretty bored with the basics but trying my best to stick with keeping it low sodium. The low fat isn't the hard part for me but when you start checking sodium, it's insane how much everything has!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Low sodium can mean various things. The RDA is 2300 mg. Do you need to keep to that level, or lower yet? Did the doctor give you a goal for daily sodium and fat consumption? Consider asking for a referral to a dietitian. They can help you set up some meal options within the guidelines from the doctor.