MACROS NOT CALORIES

Options
Hey Everyone!

Anybody count macros and not calories? I do #iifym and love it, but could always use more friends for encouragement :)

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yuuuuuge fan of "flexible dieting" and macro-ing.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What he said...
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love it cause I get ice cream every night :) haha
  • nowhere123
    nowhere123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    maeggggan wrote: »
    I do #iifym and love it

Do you use www.iifym.com ?

• maeggggan
    Options
    I have actually never been to that site before...
  • knfosset
    knfosset Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the same! In fact, I run a foodie/fit instagram that highlights my meals and recipes, if any of you would like to follow along :)

Instagram: kcmofitfoodie
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I definitely count my macros.. but as a result I count my calories. Actually I am more concerned with calories atm because my minimums are usually hit automatically with my intake :)
  • wendypollok150
    wendypollok150 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Macros motivate me but I still gotta watch those calories
  • maeggggan
    Options
    I feel when I was doing calorie tracking I was obsessive over the number. While counting macros I am better at finding food that would help fill me up for longer. More dense food.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Macros align with calories... if you're doing it right, it takes care of itself.

Exactly.

• maeggggan
    Options
    If you do macros, how did you customize them to fit you? I losing body fat but not sure when I should change them. Or if I even should.
  • maeggggan
    Options
    Sonicz90x wrote: »
    You can't count macros without counting calories as well. Why wouldn't you keep track of both?

I track both cause in MFP it has both. I just care more about the macros then my calories. But I normally eat around 1600-1700 a day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Macros align with calories... if you're doing it right, it takes care of itself.

Agreed!

I track both. I also track micros.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    maeggggan wrote: »
    Sonicz90x wrote: »
    You can't count macros without counting calories as well. Why wouldn't you keep track of both?

I track both cause in MFP it has both. I just care more about the macros then my calories. But I normally eat around 1600-1700 a day.

If you hit your macros you automatically hit your calories, because 1 gram of carbs and protein is 4 calories and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.

If you count cars you automatically know how many wheels there were too because they have 4.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I aim for protein and fat minimums and let carbs fall where ever they fall.
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I count macros! I have mine set for weight gain as I'm trying to put on muscle right now. I also track sugar and fiber to make sure I stay consistent and keep the sugars to a relative minimum. I look for carbs, protein, fat, sugar, and fiber.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    macro tracker here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meh...I have a general, roundabout idea of my macros...I don't see much point in taking it much beyond that.