Am I eating enough/too much?

Options
cassieemch
cassieemch Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, here goes!
I've been trying to lose fat since my junior year of high school (three years ago now...yikes) and no matter what I do, the weight doesn't come off. I have done every diet type in the book with a recent transition off veganism. (It made me miserable, sorry not sorry.) I also am just getting back into exercise since having a microdiscectomy on three of my disks. Despite those hurdles, I've never been able to lose the fat or gain significant lean muscle, not even when I was exercising 5+/days a week, both heavy lifting, yoga, and cardio.

So here we are today. I'm 20, 5'1, female, 136 pounds, and I work a sedentary job. I get up every hour and walk a bit, but it isn't much. My BMR is roughly 1340. With my otherwise sedentary lifestyle my TDEE is about 1850. If I did a 500 calorie deficit, I'd be at 1350, and that. is. not. enough.

I lift weights at least 60 minutes/3-4 days a week and do HIIT 1xweekly (I was built for power, not endurance!). On my off days I walk or do yoga/light pilates for my back. It doesn't equate to much on my off days because I'm exhausted 99% of the time.

I eat good foods and I even weigh things on a scale now...tons of veggies and protein and most of my carbs come from fruit and a few whole grains here and there. No processed junk or liquid calories. I drink at least 4 liters of water a day, too.

I'm just hungry all the time. I'm currently eating 1500 calories and I'm starving. I literally look at the clock all the time during work just counting down until I can eat again. I'm also always exhausted, (all my labs are normal...trust me, I thought I was hypo for the longest time) and I wonder if I'm really just not eating enough.

As someone who lives a relatively sedentary life but exercises hard 4-5 days a week and is pretty naturally muscular, does 1500 sound like enough? I'm terrified of eating more and gaining weight but I can't keep eating obsessing over food this much either. Help?

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Dude carbs ain't gunna stop you losing weight . They will fill you up more than fruit/veg does. .. I think you're cramming as much into what you think your cals are to feel full because you're eating what you think you should be .. "healthy" and probs inadvertently over eating. Eat whatever you want that fills you up just weigh it all properly!
    cassieemch wrote: »
    Okay, here goes!
    I've been trying to lose fat since my junior year of high school (three years ago now...yikes) and no matter what I do, the weight doesn't come off. I have done every diet type in the book with a recent transition off veganism. (It made me miserable, sorry not sorry.) I also am just getting back into exercise since having a microdiscectomy on three of my disks. Despite those hurdles, I've never been able to lose the fat or gain significant lean muscle, not even when I was exercising 5+/days a week, both heavy lifting, yoga, and cardio.

So here we are today. I'm 20, 5'1, female, 136 pounds, and I work a sedentary job. I get up every hour and walk a bit, but it isn't much. My BMR is roughly 1340. With my otherwise sedentary lifestyle my TDEE is about 1850. If I did a 500 calorie deficit, I'd be at 1350, and that. is. not. enough.

I lift weights at least 60 minutes/3-4 days a week and do HIIT 1xweekly (I was built for power, not endurance!). On my off days I walk or do yoga/light pilates for my back. It doesn't equate to much on my off days because I'm exhausted 99% of the time.

I eat good foods and I even weigh things on a scale now. Tons of veggies and protein and most of my carbs come from fruit and a few whole grains here and there. No processed junk or liquid calories.

I'm just hungry all the time. I'm currently eating 1500 calories and I'm starving. I literally look at the clock all the time during work just counting down until I can eat again. I'm also always exhausted, (all my labs are normal...trust me, I thought I was hypo for the longest time) and I wonder if I'm really just not eating enough.

As someone who lives a relatively sedentary life but exercises hard 4-5 days a week and is pretty naturally muscular, does 1500 sound like enough? I'm terrified of eating more and gaining weight but I can't keep eating obsessing over food this much either. Help?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1850 and you're eating 1500, you're eating in a 350 calorie deficit. Try upping your calories to 1600 per day. You should be fine on that, assuming you are making smart food choices.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat?
  • jemhh
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Dude carbs ain't gunna stop you losing weight . They will fill you up more than fruit/veg does. .. I think you're cramming as much into what you think your cals are to feel full because you're eating what you think you should be .. "healthy" and probs inadvertently over eating. Eat whatever you want that fills you up just weigh it all properly!
    Okay, here goes!

I eat good foods and I even weigh things on a scale now. Tons of veggies and protein and most of my carbs come from fruit and a few whole grains here and there. No processed junk or liquid calories.

Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, often fibrous carbs that provide a lot of volume and make people feel full.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Okay, here goes!

Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, often fibrous carbs that provide a lot of volume and make people feel full.

Yes I'm aware of this thanks, but if they're not full maybe they should try more starchy carbs for fullness. That better?
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you are eating enough and upping the calories isn't going to help. First, I would make sure you are counting calories accurately. Are you using oils or butters? Are you accounting for spices you use? It is amazing how many calories we add to our foods. If your calories are accurate, there are lots of ways to reduce calories or increase volume.

Many veggies saute great in water or a little chicken broth. Without those extra calories,you can eat big portions.

Try powdered peanut butter instead of regular.

Even with fruits, there is definite difference. You can eat a lot more strawberries than pineapple.

Chicken or turkey has a lot less calories than beef or pork.

Tuna has a lot less calories than salmon. Swai fillets have less than tuna.

Egg whites have a lot less calories than whole eggs.

Unsweetened cashew milk is 25 calories per 8 Oz. Skim milk has 80.

Lots of little things add up.

...and, of course, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Wait, have you lost any weight at all, OP? How long have you been eating 1500 calories?
  • cassieemch
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wait, have you lost any weight at all, OP? How long have you been eating 1500 calories?

Not at all. I fluctuate around 4 pounds from hormones, but that's it. I bumped up to 1500 a week or so ago to see if I was less hungry...and I'm not lol.
    Are you getting enough fat?

Yup. I get a fair bit from avocado, coconut oil, nuts, eggs, and chia seeds.
    Chadxx wrote: »
    If you aren't losing weight, you are eating enough and upping the calories isn't going to help. First, I would make sure you are counting calories accurately. Are you using oils or butters? Are you accounting for spices you use? It is amazing how many calories we add to our foods. If your calories are accurate, there are lots of ways to reduce calories or increase volume.

I weigh all of my food to the very last gram. I'm as accurate as you can logically get.

I know carbs don't stop you from losing weight, but for me, personally, I feel better when I'm not full of starch. That was my biggest issue with a plant based diet.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    As well intentioned as it is, the idea that if someone isn't losing weight, despite activity and proper intake, they are eating enough or "too much", is balderpoppycockdash.

I'd bet power greens to powdered donuts OP is not eating enough as her body has adjusted to "the new normal". Her energy levels are low, she's weight stagnant and starving... counter-intuitive and as scoffed at as it may seem, her situation is a pretty tell-tale sign and increase- not a decrease, is in order.

That said, the follow up question by @jemhh is a good one for a little more insight. High five.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What calorie level were you eating prior to the recent bump to 1500? And for how long?

I'm wondering if a diet break isn't in order. I'm not sure if I 100% buy all the hormone reset part, but I do 100% buy the mental state reset. You're tired, hangry, workouts are suffering...your body is begging for fuel. Take 10 days, 2 weeks, even a month and eat at maintenance. Try to focus on eating just to that sigh of satisfaction...or the point where you're pleasantly full. I've got different stats than you to be sure, but the mental improvement after my recent 10 day break was glorious and very marked. I also dropped 4lbs in that 10 days...Likely largely water weight but incredibly motivating as I weighed the morning coming out of the break.
  • jemhh
    Options
    OP, how did you come up with 1850 for your TDEE? I calculate it at around 2100.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're probably eating too much. Sorry. I'm not exactly sure what people do when they lift weights for 60 minutes 5x a week, but I'd decrease to 3x a week (your muscles NEED rest anyway) and add more cardio... that should burn a bit more calories.

Hard to comment on your diet without looking at your diary though, but I'd try and make sure that you eat a good balance of protein, fat, and fiber at every meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, are you using a food scale and can you open your diary?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Quote: "I eat good foods and I even weigh things on a scale now..."

How long have you been using the MFP app and how long have you been using the food scale?

Can you open your diary?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

How long have you been using the MFP app and how long have you been using the food scale?

Can you open your diary?

Good catch, I apparently can't read.
  • cassieemch
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »
    What calorie level were you eating prior to the recent bump to 1500? And for how long?

I bumped up from 1400 about two weeks ago, and I'd been at 13-1400 since I re-started counting in June.

I swear I've tried all the online TDEE calculators and they all range between 1800-2100, dependent on whether they take into account my exercise habits or just my sedentary life. 1850-ish was the most prominent value I found.

Can you open your diary?

Opened. I've been using the food scale for almost a month, weighing any and everything.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm lightly active, 5'4", about 140. I eat between 1300-1500 during the week. I lift heavy 4x per week. It's enough. It's not fun nor do I love it. I do get to eat more on the weekends but yeah, 1300-1500 are my weight loss calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Sounds right to me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »

I bumped up from 1400 about two weeks ago, and I'd been at 13-1400 since I re-started counting in June.

I swear I've tried all the online TDEE calculators and they all range between 1800-2100, dependent on whether they take into account my exercise habits or just my sedentary life. 1850-ish was the most prominent value I found.

Can you open your diary?

Opened. I've been using the food scale for almost a month, weighing any and everything.

I looked at your diary. I can see you have using MFP for about a month, and possibly using the food scale about two weeks or so.? There are still some things that you could work on in weighing, but this is not your problem.

Do you adjust your calorie goal manually? For example change it from 13-1400 to 1500? Your calories are all over the place..I went to beginning (Aug 29th thru Sept 13) and noted many days no logging, so cannot know how much you were eating on those days, but noted many low days were you eating below your calorie deficit. Then I picked a random week Sept 23 - 30th...

Sept 30 consumed 1618 out of 1500
    Sept 29 consumed 1437 out of 1630 (with exercise)
    Sept 28 consumed 993 out of 1612
    Sept 27 2240 out of 1622
    Sept 26 consumed 1509 out of 1709
    Sept 25 consumed 854 out of 1402
    Sept 24 No logging
    Sept 23 consumed 1550 out of 1711

For starters you are not consistent with your logging to adhere to your daily deficit.

If MFP gave you 1400 or 1500 or 1600 to lose X pounds, stick to that goal everyday. Make sure you setup the right activity level. Eat back a portion of your exercise (be careful when coming up with calculations for your calorie burns in exercise) The days above in bold look good. But you can see that you have over eaten on days and under eaten on days, and one not logged.

Make sure you weigh all solid foods..Even the ones that are packaged that say for example 1 piece. That 1 piece can weigh more or even less than the labels says.

Since you are only 1 month old its understandable that you would have questions. So all you have to do is apply consistency and accuracy with weighing and logging. Once you have streamlined this process a bit better you are on your way. Monitor your calories, exercise and your weight loss (start trending) so that if you need to make adjustments in your goal, the diary will be as accurate as it can.

eta: if the calorie goal MFP gives you is too low (not sure how many pounds you are set to lose each week), you can adjust the rate of loss for example to a slower loss at .5 pounds etc. Do what is comfortable for you so that you can stick to it. :)
  • jemhh
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Sounds right to me.

Which one?